Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It happened in New Orleans when police went door to door, and confiscated firearms during Katrina. It happened in Massachusetts after the marathon bombers. Police, and military will do what the people that pay them tell them to do. You know pensions and all.
You're talking about the difference between small scale confiscation in situations where the public is traumatized, confused, and/or startled and an immense confiscation in a situation where the public has time to evaluate and prepare. It's apples and oranges.

Unless there is an emergency, there will be no situation where the military is on the street. The average cop / SWAT team will neither have the resources or the wherewithal to confiscate most guns. This will hold especially true after they begin getting shot at. My entire point was that their pensions would not be enough to do what it would take to execute a large scale rifle confiscation. Sure, a few young and dumb ones would try to sweat it out but that wouldn't last long.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Seems to work in every other advanced country. Are Americans to dumb and violent to make it work?

You mean the other advanced countries where they mow down crowds with delivery trucks?

Guess what...good guy with a gun fixes that too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36801671

Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Right, wrong or otherwise, Milennials might be the ones to make some measure of Gun Control a reality once they're old enough to vote, boycott, and lobby. It would be fair to say their generation has witnessed enough of these tragedies over the short span of their lives.

Florida school shooting: Students to march on Washington - BBC News
My millennial sons own several variants of "evil black rifles" of their own so they won't be joining this lot. Not all millennials are lemmings.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
I just find it difficult to have a rational conversation about the issue here.

Prior to the variety of thread mergers today, a cursory reading of some of the discussions produced the following "pearls of wisdom" (some of which were conveniently deleted by the posters or were otherwise moderated without justification):
  • Semi-automatic rifles = nuclear bombs.
  • Semi-automatic rifles constitute the greatest existential threat to society today despite accounting for just 2% of all gun-related deaths.
  • The US Constitution hasn't been updated since the 12th Amendment (in 1804 if my memory isn't off) and both slavery and women's suffrage never happened in particular.
  • It's inherently bigoted, hateful, or racist to discuss gun violence when not implicating deranged, white, male, mass-shooters, to exclusion.
  • Acts of violence are virtually unheard of in [all] first-world countries not named the United States, and particularly the southern United States.
  • It's acceptable to have armed security protecting banks, celebrities, commercial/government/industrial property, your home, jewelry stores & pawn shops... but not your children while they're at school unless their parents are among the wealthy elite.
  • We should send armed agents of the government door-to-door to confiscate firearms.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
That's a major question that needs to be asked. If they use some judicial fiat or executive order in the future to pretty much gut the 2nd Amendment, how many will hand it over when they come to collect it and how many will "give them the bullets first" when they come for the guns?
i think first what will happen is that there will be lawsuits out the wazzoo across the country. so many in fact that they will overwhelm the system. judges will get tired of either tossing lawsuits out, or having to listen to suit after suit, going up and down the system, law makers being voted out of office, judges being voted out of office where the public can vote them out. governors being voted out of office, progun candidates replacing them across the board, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
They aren't going to gut or change the 2nd amendment, and they aren't take away guns. There's no point beating that inflammatory dead horse, which only draws attention away from the real discussions.

The bigger question is: If persons in law enforcement and in government don't lift a finger to try and solve these national issues, are people going to have to rise up in force to get their attention?
And that doesn't mean rise up with weapons, but rather put incredible heat, pressure, and attention on them so they can't live without it in their faces, unable to look away and ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This reminds me of those "Eric Holder is coming for my guns " threads.

Nobody is coming for your guns. No me will ever come for your guns.

Relax now and remember to take your meds before you go to sleep.
i advise you all to avoid making assumptions like this. there are congress people in both houses of congress that would be more than happy to take away gun rights by any means possible. and there are politicians waiting in the wings willing to do the same thing given the chance.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
France and Japan are more densely populated than the USA yet have violent crime rates well below the USA. Surprise Surprise guns are heavily restricted guess when you make it harder to kill people crime goes down who woulda thought.

"Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center. And the number of permits issued is increasing faster every year. Over 1.7 million new permits were issued last year — a 15.4 percent increase over 2013, the largest such single-year jump ever, according to the report from the center led by President John R. Lott and research director John E. Whitley."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...permits-soar-/

Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
They did it in NY. No one fought back as far as I know.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I believe Milennials will turn "That One Specific Corner" our generation was unable/incapable of turning during our time "at bat."

My hunch is that this latest/unfortunate Massacre will be a turning point in the United States of America's gun culture.

Unlike 20th century pro-gun advocates, these "youngins" are not in denial (and unafraid) of the fact that The United States of America is comprised of people from diverse racial/cultural backgrounds, and therefore see no reason to arm themselves against a non-existent opposing force. Unlike us Old folks, they're not afraid of differences. If anything, they embrace and celebrate "Difference."

Life and time moves forward, not backwards.

GO KIDS!

Is it okay to arm yourself against a 20X incidence of forced entry that bleeds over from the next neighborhood over?

I'm just curious.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Lives over guns should be an easy choice to make.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I’m all for fighting back. We should never compromise our freedoms. The bill of rights is sacred. We should not tolerate the infringement of our free speech, right to keep and bear arms, invasion of our privacy or the interference with states rights. We have tolerated too much already. We should already be planning to fight. The ole stars and bars stands ready to raise again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies