Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Why does the left want a tyrant like Trump to disarm americans? And maybe the next guy is worse. In whose playbook is this a good idea?

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So again,

if you ban the AR-15 will mass shootings stop? Let's see if you can stay on topic.
Will they all stop? No. But making weapons that are designed to kill mass number of people in second difficult to get will stop some of them. Just like requiring seatbelts didn't stop all traffic fatalities and outlawing drugs doesn't stop the drug trade. But we don't just throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, we can't stop them all so we won't even try."

If it stops just one mass shooting, it will be worth it. How much is the life of a child worth to you?

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Besides the government, imagine an event that creates any sort of serious, widespread food shortage across any significant chunk of population. People will begin harming one another out of desperation. Our food independence as a nation is neato, but it relies on a ton of infrastructure to get all the food distributed to the far corners of our nation. Disrupt the infrastructure and let a week go by, and you'll begin seeing serious social unrest. Panicky, hungry, desperate people are not rational actors, and as such would probably need more than a well reasoned argument not to loot your home and possibly harm you in the process. They may need to be presented with a more serious motivation to leave you alone, and a weapon capable of zapping all of them dead is a pretty serious rebuttal to their argument.
I rarely bring this reason up but is is very valid.

I live extremely close to the New Madrid fault line and when it decides to go, it will cripple the infrastructure around Memphis. Every road into this area has a bridge that will not exist or not be safe to cross with a loaded truck. It will be chaos within a week so that's why I have a month's worth of food on-hand for my family. Any longer than that and I implement my bug-out plan.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am almost 70 This generation is the weakest I have seen. If they get called a derogatory name, they need counseling. They were raised to be weaklings and easily offended, so some strike out.
Those kids in Parkland don't look weak to me. They look like they're ready to kick some ass in the political arena.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, we've got this far into the thread without too much derailment or foaming at the mouth emotional rants.

Fact = banning the AR-15 will not stop mass shootings. So, where do we go from here?

Ban all firearms, ok what steps need taken. Does the Govt do a buy back and do they do it at market value? Do they compensate all the businesses that produce and sell firearms that will be put out of business? Restrict ammo sales?

Go another route and do more to protect soft targets that are the choice of killers?

What LEGAL options do we have to prevent future mass shootings.
Should we repeal the traffic laws too that lowers crashes but does not prevent them?

Should we repeal laws against murder, etc.. also? Because it obviously doesn't prevent them.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Will they all stop? No. But making weapons that are designed to kill mass number of people in second difficult to get will stop some of them. Just like requiring seatbelts didn't stop all traffic fatalities and outlawing drugs doesn't stop the drug trade. But we don't just throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, we can't stop them all so we won't even try."

If it stops just one mass shooting, it will be worth it. How much is the life of a child worth to you?
I was hoping we could avoid these emotional crystal ball postings, guess not.

Maybe, might, possibly, do it for the babies stuff.

Nothing measurable or quantifiable.

So, back on topic, if you want to ban just AR-15s how would you do that? Because the last "ban" didn't really do any banning of anything.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

If just one armed person stops an intruder at the school door, it will be worth it! How much is a child's life worth to you????

Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If just one armed person stops an intruder at the school door, it will be worth it! How much is a child's life worth to you????
Gun nuts like their guns more than that. They don't care. It's all ME ME ME AND MY RIGHTS. Just look at the absurd comparisons and rationalizations.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Lets deputize all US Citizens that own guns. Then make it to where only LEO's can own guns. Problem solved.
The ability to possess a firearm is what makes you a citizen and not just a subject.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:15 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Gun nuts like their guns more than that. They don't care. It's all ME ME ME AND MY RIGHTS. Just look at the absurd comparisons and rationalizations.
What is your solution, let's hear it.

How would you implement a ban, or do you just want to throw around child like insults?

Stay on topic please. Logic, solutions. No emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies