Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 03:36 PM

45,366 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. The ignorance just keeps growing.
And it's intentional to sway people who don't really care one way or another.

What's funny for me in these threads is that I own exactly ZERO AR platforms. I tend more to shotguns, most of which will be on the "to be banned next" list once ARs are done away with.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Yes I was wrong. I own that. Big deal. But there is a bigger "right" here. Own it.
More white guys kill people, and kill them "bigly" in mass shootings, then any other race and gender.

And banning assault rifles is a good place to start in fixing the problem. (As the other ways are forbidden, or at least, not something folks want to touch with a 10ft pole).
What is your definition of an "assault rifle"? Just an AR-15?

Does the ACR fall into your classification?

If yes, do you just want to go ahead and ban all semi-auto .223/5.56 rifles? What about pistols?

Any rifle or pistol with a detachable magazine and shoots an intermediate, full sized or magnum cartridge?

What about pistol cartridge models like a 9mm?

What about rim fire models?

Pick a line in the sand so we know where you will stop.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Of course not. Remember when we had the long rifle ban there were MORE gun homicides and after 10 years it was reported that the ban had no effect at all on gun homicides. There are more guns than people in this country and we border with the homicide and black market capital of the world. As far as school shootings they'll just bring multiple handguns like the Virginia Tech shooter did, if you ban guns(which won't work) they'll make homemade bombs and light fires like the Bath Massacre.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually they don't carry it in their hand, they would carry it in a holster that they find to be comfortable. I carry an in-the-waistband holstered semi-auto pistol every day. I work, go to the grocery store and even help my wife cook all while being armed. It took about a week to get used to it.

As for training, a lot of NRA certified instructors have offered to train teachers free of charge. I've taken an all day pistol class and it's both challenging and fun.

Do you shoot the student running for their life or the one running after her with the gun?

What is your definition of "high capacity". The AR-15's standard capacity magazine holds 30 rounds. I have a few 40 round mags. I thought about getting some MagPul 60 and 100 round mags. Does a drum or belt feed count as a magazine?
No semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazine. No magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds. A drum or belt feed would not work with a gun with a fixed magazine so there is no need for me to address it. As I've said a dozen times before, an option would be to allow guns with removable magazines for purchase or possession who pass the same local law enforcement vetting as is conducted for a CCW applicant.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They aren’t going to. That’s not how it works. They would just stop selling them by a certain date so suppliers and dealers could be given a chance to liquidate their left over inventory.

I’m sure everybody howled in 1986 when they outlawed the sale of new select-fire weapons, but nobody came banging on your door demanding the 9mm Uzi you purchased legally in 1985. Nowadays nearly everybody accepts that they shouldn’t sell automatic weapons over the counter.
Actually they are sold over the counter just at a much higher price.

As far as the full-auto weapons go, it was extremely easy to regulate them as most are registered with the ATF and have been since 1934. I say most because there are rumors that the ATF, like most government agencies, didn't do a good job of tracking these weapons.

I'm one of those that falls on the side of freedom and want a gun with a happy switch on it.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I know someone who is deathly afraid of frogs. There is no frog in the continental US that can kill or injure a human. That fear is irrational.

While the probability of a home invasion is low, the possibility still exists. Like a house fire, the results are almost always catastrophic. While I do not live in fear of either a home invasion or a house fire, I do take precautions to minimize my risk. I have networked smoke detectors as well as ones connected to my home alarm. If any in my house are triggered, they all make noise. I also keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen where there is an open flame when cooking.

While I won't go into detail about my personal security, I will say that I carry a pistol with me all of the time. I'm taking a break from work right now in my home office and I am armed. There are a lot of people who will think that is odd. I don't. To me a holstered pistol on my hip is no different than carrying around my wallet and car keys.
You have an irrational fear of things then, if you feel you need a firearm while in your own house. I probably own more firearms than you do, but I have never, ever felt that any of them were needed for "protection". They are locked up, and safely stored. It's just silly to thing that unless you live in a horrible neighborhood or frequent the same that one needs lethal "protection". I've lived 66 years without ever having the feeling I need to use my guns that way.

I don't get the fear based mentality. I refuse to live that way.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

What's funny for me in these threads is that I own exactly ZERO AR platforms. I tend more to shotguns, most of which will be on the "to be banned next" list once ARs are done away with.
By "shotguns" do you really mean assault bullet spraying machines?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazine. No magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds. A drum or belt feed would not work with a gun with a fixed magazine so there is no need for me to address it. As I've said a dozen times before, an option would be to allow guns with removable magazines for purchase or possession who pass the same local law enforcement vetting as is conducted for a CCW applicant.
I included .223 caliber pistols. Are they included in your ban? What about 9mm AR style pistols? If that applies, then basically any gun with a detachable magazine is limited to 10 rounds?

Old 02-21-2018, 04:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And since we no longer have a citizen military, and the actual military is not going away, there is no longer any reason for civilians to have guns, or for the second amendment to exist.

Thank you for admitting that.
wrong again. the first part of the amendment only recognized the need to protect the state. its the second part of the amendment that puts the teeth into that amendment. meaning the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed has been held by the supreme court to be an individual right.

so you fail again.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I know. I don't own any ARs either, but I do have a semi auto 22 to hunt rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies