Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Military threats to our country don't have to come from our own government.

The fact that so many American citizens are well armed is probably among the reasons we've never been invaded by a military force.
Being geographically isolated from any enemies, and having only friendly nations bordering you is probably the main reason. Not to mention that we have the world's biggest and most powerful armed forces (or in the top 3). A bunch of people running around with some shotguns and hunting rifles is probably a trivial factor in the lack of invading armies.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:30 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
One step at a time.
You don't think we see that ? And this is why we won't budge, period. The anti gun crowd doesn't care about saving lives and keeping everyone's rights intact, if they did they would be open to serious solutions, not knee jerk reactions. In the mean time these tragedies will continue to happen.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 PM

5,101 posts, read 2,046,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
This shooting is a result of signs that say "gun free zone". Like an advertisement for killers to come on in and kill everyone without resistance. They need better lockdown and armed teachers and/ or guards. Broward County also covers up crimes at schools as "school issues" for ideological and diversity reasons.

Not one peep out of these blue county liberals about that. Instead it's blame Trump for everything. Tiresome.
+1, that reminds me of that meme.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Oh just stop it. All recent public school shootings were done by kids under 25:

Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Connecticut

There is precedent in our society that age affects maturity. You have to be 21 to buy beer. You have to be 25 to get the under-age penalty lifted from your driver's license. But yet, we arm teenagers with killing machines. You're good with that, fine. I think it's nuts. Really there's nothing more to discuss here.
Ok, convenient, for your argument, 2015 isn't "recent" thats just being intentionally dishonest.

You are making a lot of assumptions when all I did was point out that your age limitation was clearly not much help in this case. 26 is not 19, and that was this guys age in FL.

Go ahead and explain how restricting the purchase of rifles to the age of 26 or above would have prevented this, that was YOUR argument, not mine, unless I misunderstood something you said?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
[quote=scarabchuck;51103084]You don't think we see that ? And this is why we won't budge, period. The anti gun crowd doesn't care about saving lives and keeping everyone's rights intact, if they did they would be open to serious solutions, not knee jerk reactions. In the mean time these tragedies will continue to happen.[/QUOTE

Nobody wants to take your guns. Really. We just want a discussion about assault weapons. But lawmakers here in Florida won't even entertain the possibility of discussion. BTW, have you not read any serious solutions on this forum at all since this all started?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If we took the approach of stricter vetting for those weapons, then people want to keep them could get the equivalent of a CCW with vetting by local law enforcement, if not then they can sell them to someone who is qualified or turn them in for destruction.
CCW vetting in MS is no more stringent than a NICS background check. https://www.dps.state.ms.us/firearms...s-permit-unit/ The only additional step is taking my prints. Since MS is a constitutional carry state, the only reason I went to the trouble of getting a license is to carry in other states.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You have an irrational fear of things then, if you feel you need a firearm while in your own house. I probably own more firearms than you do, but I have never, ever felt that any of them were needed for "protection". They are locked up, and safely stored. It's just silly to thing that unless you live in a horrible neighborhood or frequent the same that one needs lethal "protection". I've lived 66 years without ever having the feeling I need to use my guns that way.

I don't get the fear based mentality. I refuse to live that way.
^^^ This. Need a gun for "protection" is just an excuse for owning a needless gun.

The second amendment was to form a militia. Go join a militia, get the training, and protect us from a tyrannical take over then. And just who is this tyrant who is planning to take us over? Or is this just a form of paranoia?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wouldn't just be easier to ban the manufacture and sale of bullets?

I can make my own. Who is going make ammo for the police and military? You think the government makes firearm cartridges? LOL!
You guys have not thought this through very well. The quick solution! The unintended consequences be damned. "I didn't think of that....." Too late, only those that can make their own will have it and all the power, to make you their slave.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are kidding right?

Trump colluded with Russia and won the election. You will never be able to win an election as he will continue to collude with the Russians.
Depends oh the collusion. As always, you seem to have this idea that because Trump is backed by Russia all hope is lost for the election.

Russia may have influenced the election (sway voters), but it didn't vote directly. So at the end of the day, it's up to the people to be smart and vote correctly.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:40 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,073 times
Geez, wasn't the exact same topic done to death a few years ago, when everyone thought obama was trying to take away their AR15s? Why, yes, it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.