Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think you are just reinforcing the point, 18% of the guns come from Indiana and a total of 60% come from out of state. They come from states with lax gun laws.
Yes, it does reinforce to a point, because guns are coming from out of state.
These people who point out that guns sometimes come from other states, and use that fact to suggest further "gun control" laws, are reinforcing a point I made earlier:

The only legislation that would really reduce the amount of "gun violence", is a total gun ban, followed by ruthless confiscation nationwide.

The people complaining that guns are brought across state lines, have such a ban as their ultimate goal, but they don't dare admit it.

And when they get to the confiscation part, do they think that all gun owners would meekly surrender their guns when the national gun police come calling from door to door to collect them? And searching every house to make sure there are none left? As the "gun control" advocate have so vividly demonstrated for the last several decades, partial measures don't work. They must take away EVERY gun owned by the people, or the scheme fails.

Have these people considered what will happen when many gun owners refuse to give up their guns? Even a few guns left in the hands of the people, will invalidate the entire purpose of the ban and confiscation. The gun police would have no choice but to use force.

How many formerly law-abiding citizens will have to die before the gun police achieve their aim of zero guns in the people's hands?

Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the state-issued FID card specifically for purchase of guns. New Jersey requires one, too, even to purchase ammunition. I'll edit the post.

We're on the same page now. All good. I was a bit reactive. I'm just so sick of hearing the antis howl about places you don't even need ID to buy a gun. That's been federal law for a LONG time now. And it also applies at gun shows.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:42 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
We're on the same page now. All good. I was a bit reactive. I'm just so sick of hearing the antis howl about places you don't even need ID to buy a gun. That's been federal law for a LONG time now. And it also applies at gun shows.
Yeah his point was more so that firearms moved with people when they moved to Chicago pertaining to the traces.

He dismantled the whole strict gun laws work mantra with listing states neighboring with strict gun laws having guns traced back to strict gun law states. Destroyed the narrative that it's states with LAX laws...

In the same sense the map that was posted up beforehand of NY having firearms traced back to southern states on the false narrative that those states are to blame... when neighboring VT has lax gun laws.

I asked them to explain why Vermont isn't flooding guns into NY MA CT etc. They don't even require a pistol permit/CCW to purchase a pistol...

Yet according to the map that was posted, firearms traced came south of the Mason Dixon... primarily Florida and the Carolinas.
I'm guessing having residency in a southern state for 6 months out of the year to escape/retire to, has nothing to do with it...

Yet the narrative is its LAX gun law states that are responsible... explain why Vermont isn't flooding NY.
My explanation is-nobody retires to Vermont for the winter. Snowbirds flock south. So it's a possibility their weapons are being stolen while they're out of state if they're being traced back to originating south of the Mason Dixon line...

Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
We have had one gun death in my county in the last seven years. A drug deal gone bad. One man shot the other thru the hand in a motel room. Not life threatening. Then he chased the wounded man into the parking lot and shot him two more times and killed him. Charge was voluntary manslaughter. Does not make sense. Both had multiple previous convictions. Killer will most likely serve less than 10 years.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:37 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yeah his point was more so that firearms moved with people when they moved to Chicago pertaining to the traces.

He dismantled the whole strict gun laws work mantra with listing states neighboring with strict gun laws having guns traced back to strict gun law states. Destroyed the narrative that it's states with LAX laws...

In the same sense the map that was posted up beforehand of NY having firearms traced back to southern states on the false narrative that those states are to blame... when neighboring VT has lax gun laws.

I asked them to explain why Vermont isn't flooding guns into NY MA CT etc. They don't even require a pistol permit/CCW to purchase a pistol...

Yet according to the map that was posted, firearms traced came south of the Mason Dixon... primarily Florida and the Carolinas.
I'm guessing having residency in a southern state for 6 months out of the year to escape/retire to, has nothing to do with it...

Yet the narrative is its LAX gun law states that are responsible... explain why Vermont isn't flooding NY.
My explanation is-nobody retires to Vermont for the winter. Snowbirds flock south. So it's a possibility their weapons are being stolen while they're out of state if they're being traced back to originating south of the Mason Dixon line...
I'm a 'she', but yes to the rest of the above. I got involved in gun rights after an incident that occurred in NY on January 15, 2013. We call it 'Unconvicted Felon' day. I'm sure as a former NY resident you're very familiar with it. Since then, I've made it a point to become as educated as possible with the legislation and laws surrounding guns. Still working on the education about guns themselves, as you might have noticed from my post where I expected a 9mm round to "blow up" my plastic jug of water.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
I'm a 'she', but yes to the rest of the above. I got involved in gun rights after an incident that occurred in NY on January 15, 2013. We call it 'Unconvicted Felon' day. I'm sure as a former NY resident you're very familiar with it. Since then, I've made it a point to become as educated as possible with the legislation and laws surrounding guns. Still working on the education about guns themselves, as you might have noticed from my post where I expected a 9mm round to "blow up" my plastic jug of water.
Very familiar? It's the number 2 of the 3 reasons why I left.

I stayed to fight it, got tired of hearing the same song and dance that we need to "compromise and come to an understanding with our friends to the left of the aisle"

Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Very familiar? It's the number 2 of the 3 reasons why I left.

I stayed to fight it, got tired of hearing the same song and dance that we need to "compromise and come to an understanding with our friends to the left of the aisle"
It was also why I spend just enough time in PA to have my residence there, rather than NY (and now NJ). The day Dean Skelos was indicted I did the biggest happy dance ever. Karma, *****.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Lets go over this again. There is no place in this country you can buy a firearm from a licensed dealer without presenting ID. The BC requirement is FEDERAL. States cannot over ride it. Indiana dealers are not exempt.
If a state wanted to they could argue that its federal over reach because the constitution does not allow the fed govt to do that. The only reason states allow what they allow is because they want the federal dollars even though the money going to the IRS should be going to the states and then they would not need to agree to such conditions. Although now the feds just use fear and intimidation to gain compliance because will the state troopers step in and arrest an IRS agent trying to collect taxes from a state citizen? Fed govt is suppose to fund itself through tarrifs, if the states decided to stop allowing their citizens to be taxed you would see those 45% tarrifs on china lol.

The people just need to get mad enough and a lot of these problems would go away. Cali could ban everything including farts that come out of your own butt and another state could legalize stinger missles.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Let's go over this again. They come from adjacent or nearby states and Mississippi. Of the 12,390 guns traced in 2015, here's the breakdown. 1,156 came from Indiana. As a state, they have similar gun laws to Illinois'. The main difference is that you don't need a Firearm ID card in Indiana to purchase. You might think that's the reason for the large number of guns coming in, but that doesn't explain why similar numbers of guns don't come from adjacent state Missouri, with some of the most lax laws in the nation. If it were only lax laws, you'd see similar numbers. The next highest amount, 288, came from Wisconsin, a state with nearly identical laws to Illinois, including a waiting period for handguns. WI is responsible for more guns than MO (reminder - lax laws), which doesn't show up until fourth position. You can't look at these numbers and say lax gun laws are responsible.

In third place is Mississippi, with 264. While MS does have more lax laws, you need to recognize that more people living in Chicago came from MS than any other southern state. That's why you don't see LA or OK on the list, despite being southern states with lax laws that are within the same distance of Illinois. The guns from MS were brought into the state by people who had lived there. I linked to this previously.

At that point, the number of guns from other states drops off. It is not lax gun laws. It's proximity.
Neither Indiana, Wisconsin or MS regulate guns other than a background check. No waiting period, no license or permit required. Most states around 70% of guns used in a crime come from within and in the case of Chicago its reversed. Its easier to for criminals to get guns in those states, that is pretty clear. It's lax guns laws, its proximity and also special situations about migration and criminal connections in other states.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:02 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Lets go over this again. There is no place in this country you can buy a firearm from a licensed dealer without presenting ID. The BC requirement is FEDERAL. States cannot over ride it. Indiana dealers are not exempt.
In Washington you can't even buy from a private seller without getting a background check. Since the ignorant passed that law (RCW 9.41.113)exactly 0 people have been prosecuted for breaking it and it has had absolutely zero impact on crime, but the accomplish nothing party managed to claim they're "doing something" about "gun violence".

Just one more of their "just a little more restriction" the OP is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies