Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of threads that have to do with racism, the South, etc, etc.

When I lived in Southern Missouri I got to see LOTS of Confederate Flags.
Since I'm black/hispanic (I look like most people that are 1/2 black, 1/2 white)
I was offended by people waving the Confederate flag.

They would always tell me that: "It's not a symbol of racism, it's a symbol of Southern Heritage"

Maybe they have a valid point, here's the problem:
- It's the same thing as Germans waving the Nazi flag because is part of their heritage (Germany used it for 10 years, 1935-1935) Third Reich 1933-1945 (Germany)
- The Confederacy lasted only for 4 years in the late 1800s. What heritage can you get from 4 years?
- Georgia waited 90 years until the 1956 (civil rights movement) to add the confederate flag to its flag.

What is the Southern Heritage that the Confederate Flag is supposed to represent?
As far as I know, the Confederate flag stands for: Slavery, Secession and Jim Crow (racist laws)
F

Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I'm from Louisiana but I don't waive the Confederate flag. The only flags I put out include the American flag, Louisiana state flag, US Navy flag, and the flag of Acadiana (a region of Louisiana). I never waived the confederate flag but I don't hold it against those that do.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What is the Southern Heritage that the Confederate Flag is supposed to represent?
Some people will tell you that it represents state sovereignity, independence, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
As far as I know, the Confederate flag stands for: Slavery, Secession and Jim Crow (racist laws)
This is what most of those who fly the Confederate flag really have in mind regardless of what they attempt to mask it as.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
F[/quote]

I am from Georgia and I know why they fly the flag. I can understand why you are offended, but you should be thankful. Sometimes you have to get to know someone to figure out they are racist. These people are just saving you the time.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
"Southern Heritage" means whatever they want it to mean. It's similar to the Bible in that respect.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Southern Heritage" means whatever they want it to mean. It's similar to the Bible in that respect.
Yup ..

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is what most of those who fly the Confederate flag really have in mind regardless of what they attempt to mask it as.
I thought it was just a coincidence that everysingle person I met in Southern Missouri that used the Confederate flag seemed to have a sick hate against black people.

I was talking to one in Wal-mart,
some black guy from college walked by and then he told me:
"Look at that s..., that SOB has a Malcolm X hat, I'd love to kick his a..."

Guess what?
I got to see the hat, it was a St. Louis Cardinals hat just like this one, but it was all black.
That's why he wanted to kick that guy's a...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:58 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Southern heritage? Just as good or bad as "Northern heritage."

Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Wait, couldn't you have worked the Bible and Bush into your answer???

Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
It means whatever the flag flyer thinks it means.

And to the observer, it means whatever the observer thinks it means.

EVERYTHING depends on the dictionary you use.

When the USSR was viable, "peace" in their dictionary meant the defeat and subjugation/destruction of the USA and western democracies.
So their various doddering leaders--and The Great Gorby, too, aka Obama the 1st--were in fact speaking honestly, in their viewpoint, when they spoke glowingly of working towards peace with the west.
That's likely still their Russian dictionary definition.

So when people cry "Peace, peace!" you have to know the dictionary.

To me the rebel flag means a lot: fighting the evil mine owners who held coal miners as virtual slaves; the booze runners, who BTW hated the IRS, who developed back road racing in the dead of night to a high art form; strong believers of the first and second amendments; advocates of states rights and the right to seceed. There is no provision in the Constitution specifically prohibiting secession, BTW & FWIW.
Might makes right.
It can also mean racism, marrying your sister, living in a trailer, etc.

Unlike the Nazi flag, however, the Rebel flag is an ambiguous symbol. It means whatever the observer thinks it means. Nothing more ambiguous than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.