Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,238,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
"Welcome to the way that city residents felt in the post-WWII decades!"

I would ask them how they think that city residents felt when their demands weren't being met at a time where the government was actively encouraging the development of suburbs. Not too many people seemed to care how city residents felt when vibrant neighborhoods were demolished to make way for highways that mainly catered to suburbanites. Not too many people seemed to care that city neighborhoods were crumbling. For those reasons, along with a few others, I could care less about what suburban residents think. Suburbanization is unsustainable over the long-run. Those residents who have been living comfortably in the suburbs may have to face a new reality in the coming decades.
Erm there aren't 2-3B suburbanites in the US. I'm talking about Africa, India, parts of the Middle East, South America, who are or will shortly be demanding the standards of living North America and Europe have been enjoying since WW2. Your Prius may make you feel superior, but someone in Yola Nigeria wants his TV and internet, his hot water and indoor plumbing and maybe some air-conditioning, and there's 190M just like him in just Nigeria, even if everyone in the US drove a Prius, it wouldn't correct for just Nigeria developing western lifestyles.

So your questions are a non-sequitur, these people don't have suburbs many don't have indoor plumbing yet.

Oh sure complex question let's give a clear, simple answer that's wrong. Solar and wind facilities have an EROEI of less than 1 (more energy invested than produced, it's not uncommon, we're just spending embodied energy from millenia ago) so that's net carbon gain from the get go because you cannot make a PV panel installation without adding power which means carbon (now or from a pv array that cost more power than it will ever produce), since a 500MW pv installation cannot produce sufficient power to make a replacement 500MW pv installation ever (consider the material extraction and refining, fabrication, transport, power storage, cabling, concrete and metals).

Old 11-14-2017, 03:49 AM

780 posts, read 590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I eat a lot of steaks to help cut down the cow population.
Not all heroes wear capes, some just eat steak.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,130,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Same scientist say just one eruption from a volcano (50 to 60 eruptions happen each month) releases more than twice the amount of ozone-depleting gases currently in stratosphere due to humanmade emissions.

What plans do we have in place for farting cows and volcano's?
Cork them up.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 AM

26,928 posts, read 13,156,090 times
There is a lot of change going on in most western countries and you can clearly see that fossil fuels are on the way out.

Britain and France and a number of other countries now have a timeframe for banning all petrol and diesel vehicles.

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040 - Guardian

All Coal Power is to be phased by 2025 in Britain with many European countries following, with low carbon emmision eergy now counting for over 50% of Britain's energy, with plans for more major enviromentally friendly energy sources in relation to wind, solar, hydro, biomass and wave power.

UK vows to close all coal power plants by 2025 | The Independent

UK hits clean energy milestone: 50% of electricity from low carbon sources - Guardian

In the meantime there are extra charges being put in place in relation to polluting vehicles entering city centres.

T-Charge in London: What you wanted to know - BBC News

Oxford aims for world's first zero emissions zone with petrol car ban - Guardian

London street lamps are being turned into electric car charging points | The Independent

Emerging nations will also soon be able to produce cleaner energy cheaper than more traditional energy sources, so the future outlook may be brighter than it is today.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-14-2017 at 05:14 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 05:52 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,461,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
How ironic that many conservatives have no interest in conserving the earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Or any regard for their children or children's children.... truly selfish and devoid of any humanity.
Type those posts on devices made from seaweed?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,461,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, I am not saying you are foolish, but that statement, however, is foolish.

First, you don't need to build "a billion cars and two bullion mopeds" because any vehicle that runs on diesel now can run on biodiesel. It literally just requires changing a few filters and a few other "soft parts," but even that is unnecessary.

Rudolph Diesel originally designed his engine to run on plant oil, it's just that at the time when it caught on during the wars petrodiesel was was the most readily available. But his engine is still the same design.

Every single truck you see on the road can work with fuel made from algae, right now.

If the government passed a biodiesel mandate, saying all diesel sold must be at least B10 (10% biodiesel) in five years it would be an easily attained goal and would create many good jobs right in the US, and ease our dependency on the Islamic fundamentalist regimes in places like Saudi Arabia and would put us on the coarse to complete energy independence and a sustainable energy sector...

...but the Saudis love to pay off our politicians, both Republican and Democrat, and the yokels of this country refuse to be educated on the real issues and the "progressives" are too busy burning bras and screaming for "safe spaces" to do anything.
We aren't talking about converting current ones, we are talking about all the new ones that are going to be built.

Do you still not understand that not all 7 billion people on the planet live like is?

Billions of people have no air conditioning or heating. Billions still walk everywhere they travel.

Do you think they are going to stay like that?

You're like the little kid whose mom says there are children starving and you ask why they just don't get some food out of their refrigerator.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,720,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's because we don't feel defeated and hopeless like conservatives do.
We solved the ozone crisis, we can solve this dammit!! (by we i don't mean the "left", i mean humanity!)

Old 11-14-2017, 06:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,713,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I refuse to change the way I live. I will burn wood to heat my home. I will drive what I please. Those that are terrified can change their ways.

I bet you put motor oil on that dirt road you live on too, to keep the dust down.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM

23,339 posts, read 17,021,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The ecosystems on the planet are in dire shape. The warning spells them out in detail. People like yourself need to stop being obstructionists and deniers and to get out of the way. I don't know if you have children, but if you do, I don't how you can put personal over their future.

The worst case scenarios happen. If we do nothing , the human race may survive but our planet will be a filthy, sterile place. That may be acceptable to you, but not to me. Wake up!
Ah, grasshoppa, we will adapt or go away.

Agree with scientists that attention must be paid to the environment. Greatest impact by assuming individual responsibility. theoretically government would have the greatest impact thru legislation, unfortunately the government is corrupt, wasteful and incompetent. Throw in 3rd world countries and it is as good as collectively doing nothing.

Disagree the government can do something about it other than raise taxes with zero results. they do sometimes put up 'no dumping' signs and of course spend millions of tax payer dollars on the little round disks that are glued to every sewer drain in every high end neighborhood where no one is ever seen out of doors, let alone wondering where to put the drain oil from the bimmer.

The death knell for the earth, sounded by scientists who live on government grants, is theatrical. Scientists do have something to gain...GRANTS. No grants, no outreach, no new off the wall PhD programs to keep big business EDU from profiteering.

So, if I have this correct any individual who does not 'believe', in what, I'm not sure, somehow causes the the destruction of the earth? just how do they do that?

who is an obstructionist and how do they obstruct and just what are they obstructing?

Islands of plastic floating on our seas and that's just fine with the government. 2cycle engines, which cause as much or more pollution than older cars and would have a huge impact on cleaning the air, low impact economically as compared to autos goes barely noticed by the feds.

Feds allow bald eagles to be killed and even upped the bag limit, exempted windmills.

Eatern woodlands are being destroyed for housing, often mandated by the feds, offshore fisheries are being decimated by foreign trawlers which accept the meager fines as 'permit fees'. the agencies don't even bother beacuse the cost of their efforts to prosecute and convict are far more than any fines that may be collected. So much for government caring for the environment.

Still using vinly siding....off to the gulag for you!

America has progressed environmentally far more than any other country and will continue to do so despite pulling out of the Paris accord. Many of obama's regs were theoretical and impossible to meet, while suffocating the economy and innovation.

Environmental extremism damages the environment more than it helps. To alienate people as the enemy who believe in caring for the earth is just one of the divisive strategies that come from someone's fear and hate mongering political agenda. Thus the term environmental nazis.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,714,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Solutions are elusive. Many proposed solutions are worse than the underlying problem. But if we don't even recognize that there IS a problem, we're guaranteed to fail.
The problem is that the people telling us there is a problem are funded by people with invested interests in the proposed solutions.

science + politics = religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies