Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:11 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times

Advertisements

I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy." I predict that very few will even attempt to offer any serious scientific evidence to refute the claims. Those few who bother to give links or references to evidence that is supposed to refute the worries of these scientist will post links that trace back to mostly blogs and opinion articles, rather than to actual scientific literature. And the justification for this, of course, will go back the conspiracy theory: The claim will be that peer-review is worthless because the leftists have taken control over the scientific publications.

The sad fact, however, is that we do indeed have some serious environmental catastrophes in the making and our best hope is to pay serious attention to the scientists who, unfortunately, are now being ignored by a significant portion of the American public (and by the politicians they've elected). Instead of scientists vs. scientists engaged in deeply informed debate, we have scientists vs. political ideology, and science is losing some key battles.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here is the short article (it's only 3 pages long):

http://scientistswarning.forestry.or...rning_2017.pdf

The graphs on page 2 give a quick snapshot of the problems we are facing.

Obviously, truth is not determined by the number of people making a claim. These 15,000 scientists could all be wrong. But, personally, I wouldn't bet against them.

"...humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual."

Old 11-13-2017, 03:18 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I don't even have to read it. We don't have a spare earth in the trunk. We best take real good care of this one for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

Old 11-13-2017, 03:43 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Scientists, who have no reason to fabricate this stuff, and the rest of the world, know that unless we get control of carbon emissions, that little 2 degree spike will cause horrible consequences to our planet and our lives. Only some dummies on this side of the ocean call it fake.

Thank God the rest of the countries are smarter than we are and are still going ahead with programs to solve this serious problem. I hope the next guy in the WH is smarter than the dumbass we now have, and can fix what Trump has tried to derail.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty how this thread will go (assuming it does just die instantly): A high percentage of people will simply dismiss those "alarmist" left-wing kooks without taking any time to seriously consider the issues that they raise. In the minds of a lot of people, "science" is simply a synonym for "left-wing conspiracy." I predict that very few will even attempt to offer any serious scientific evidence to refute the claims. Those few who bother to give links or references to evidence that is supposed to refute the worries of these scientist will post links that trace back to mostly blogs and opinion articles, rather than to actual scientific literature. And the justification for this, of course, will go back the conspiracy theory: The claim will be that peer-review is worthless because the leftists have taken control over the scientific publications.

The sad fact, however, is that we do indeed have some serious environmental catastrophes in the making and our best hope is to pay serious attention to the scientists who, unfortunately, are now being ignored by a significant portion of the American public (and by the politicians they've elected). Instead of scientists vs. scientists engaged in deeply informed debate, we have scientists vs. political ideology, and science is losing some key battles.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth, here is the short article (it's only 3 pages long):

http://scientistswarning.forestry.or...rning_2017.pdf

The graphs on page 2 give a quick snapshot of the problems we are facing.

Obviously, truth is not determined by the number of people making a claim. These 15,000 scientists could all be wrong. But, personally, I wouldn't bet against them.

"...humanity must practice a more environmentally sustainable alternative to business as usual."
Let us know when you substantially change your life.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let us know when you substantially change your life.
People in many other developed countries manage to have a much lower per-person ecological footprint that Americans without having to live in mud huts and live off of lentils.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
another chicken little thread.....yawn.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
People in other developed countries manage to have a much lower per-person ecological footprint that Americans without having to live in mud huts and live off of lentils.
And billions of people in mud huts are modernizing and getting things like mopeds, AC, refrigerators, cars, etc.

Do you plan to:
1. Force them to stay in mud huts
2. Make major changes to your lifestyle
3. Ignore it other than a post about your outrage from time to time

Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And billions of people in mud huts are modernizing and getting things like mopeds, AC, refrigerators, cars, etc.

Do you plan to:
1. Force them to stay in mud huts
2. Make major changes to your lifestyle
3. Ignore it other than a post about your outrage from time to time
The ecosystems on the planet are in dire shape. The warning spells them out in detail. People like yourself need to stop being obstructionists and deniers and to get out of the way. I don't know if you have children, but if you do, I don't how you can put personal over their future.

The worst case scenarios happen. If we do nothing , the human race may survive but our planet will be a filthy, sterile place. That may be acceptable to you, but not to me. Wake up!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The ecosystems on the planet are in dire shape. The warning spells them out in detail. People like yourself need to stop being obstructionists and deniers and to get out of the way. I don't know if you have children, but if you do, I don't how you can put personal over their future.

The worst case scenarios happen. If we do nothing , the human race may survive but our planet will be a filthy, sterile place. That may be acceptable to you, but not to me. Wake up!
Meanwhile, you'll keep consuming away and off-setting your carbon footprint with posts about global warming on your decice with quite the large carbon footprint to manufacture.

You're like the Bible thumper meeting a prostitute at the liquor store.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
I refuse to change the way I live. I will burn wood to heat my home. I will drive what I please. Those that are terrified can change their ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies