Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
Wanted your thoughts on something. Recently I was talking to a group of women I know from work albeit not very well just saw them hanging out at the mall, I went up to them and said "How are you guys doing?". One of them seemed to get a little perturbed and said "It's wrong to use that kind of language, it's offensive" I said sorry and asked why and she said "It's offensive to all genders and is sexist to use that term when there are women since we aren't guys". I said I was sorry again and left all while giving me some mean looks but geez. Granted, these were some younger people but I am a woman yet never felt it was offensive or somehow "wrong". I have heard both men and other women say "you guys" even if it's a mixed group or even all women.

Am I in the wrong and need to "get with the times" or is it really no big deal?
I can't speak for women but I think I would be upset if I was included in a "you gals" comment. I think Southerners "ya'll" is infinitely better than saying you when talking plural or "you guys" when you're referring to both sexes in a group.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Down here in the south we say y'all.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I can't speak for women but I think I would be upset if I was included in a "you gals" comment. I think Southerners "ya'll" is infinitely better than saying you when talking plural or "you guys" when you're referring to both sexes in a group.
Upset?

Why?

you guys can be used for groups of any combination of genders whether it is all male, all female or any combination.

Example, hey city data, you guys are awesome
Hey city data, you guys suck

Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I've also had to replace "over by dare" with "just up the road"
Directions to a ski area where I spent many a Winter day included, "Turn left at the corner where the big oak tree was 'once cet'."

Old 11-15-2017, 07:39 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
WRONG.

We are mostly liberal "leftist" here in the northeast and we say "you guys" all the time.

It's our version of "y'all."
It's not that leftists never say it, it's that someone who is offended by someone else saying it is likely to be a leftist.

For what it's worth when greeting a group of women I will either say "what's up you guys" or "hi ladies" depending on who it is. The more familiar I am with them the more likely it will be "you guys" but sometimes it just depends on my mood or on a whim. A group of men or a mixed group will almost always get a "you guys" although a group of guys can get the "wassup ladies" treatment in the right circumstances. I am from New England.

I think the proper response to someone in a group of ladies who gets offended by "you guys" would be "good day, ladies" followed with a swift departure. I can't see how a lengthy conversation with someone who is so easily offended would be enjoyable for anyone involved.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,642 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Wanted your thoughts on something. Recently I was talking to a group of women I know from work albeit not very well just saw them hanging out at the mall, I went up to them and said "How are you guys doing?". One of them seemed to get a little perturbed and said "It's wrong to use that kind of language, it's offensive" I said sorry and asked why and she said "It's offensive to all genders and is sexist to use that term when there are women since we aren't guys". I said I was sorry again and left all while giving me some mean looks but geez. Granted, these were some younger people but I am a woman yet never felt it was offensive or somehow "wrong". I have heard both men and other women say "you guys" even if it's a mixed group or even all women.

Was the offended a short haired glasses wearing possibly gay woman? Because I was sharply criticized for the same thing by a short haired bitter acting trouble making glasses wearing lesbian. She was always looking for controversy and argument.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
I would have said "sorry to bother you guys" and walked away.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:

No your not wrong and people need to stop being so offended over nothing. You cant please everyone.
I grew up in Ohio until High school and it was you guys. Then to the south where it was y'all, yuns all, younz. I have heard groups of women refereed to as you guys, y'all, girls, ladies, gals, women and raunchy terms by people on a very personal level. Personally I have been called Ms., Miss, little girl, sister, darlin, little lady, young lady, honey, sweetheart, hey you and excuse me by people who dont know me. None of which have ever offended me.
Maybe next time or every time you encounter this woman in a group use female terms such as beyotches, hags, crones, hoes, sheilas, Chiquitas, sistas, homegirls.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:49 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
"2 mares" in chicago this could also be interpreted as "two mayors"

Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Political leftist snowflake garbage. The left is programming people to be offended on trivial words . I would have said . OK guys I hear ya.
Such a defensive tone. Sounds like you're offended.

And yet somehow, I doubt this little story actually happened. Another attempt by the right to rile up their base with little anecdotes claiming the left is crying over PC crap. You guys are utterly predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies