Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 04:42 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times

Advertisements

The fact that teachers have to purchase classroom materials at their own personal expense is a national embarrassment.

We're fortunate to have some teachers that go above and beyond to make sure their students' needs are met.

To add insult to injury, GOP's tax bill won't allow educators to deduct these out of pocket expenses from their taxes.

The recently passed tax bill will result in the tax burden of already broke grad students going up by as much as 300%, which would see their take-home pay drop by 25%.

Science and technology development has been the story of the past 100 years. The discoveries and innovations are progressing at a dazzling rate, much of this lead by researchers at universities in the USA. At these universities, a substantial amount of the work is done by graduate students, who work long hours (80 hours weeks aren't unusual) for little pay.

Teachers, who often need a masters, will also be discouraged from pursuing a career in education.

Enrollment in teacher training programs is already down by 20 to 50 percent , varies by state.

GOP is starving the public education system and discouraging higher education, which we particularly need in math and science.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:48 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
The GOP donor class send their kids to private schools, and a sizable percentage of GOP voters have been trained to despise education. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
We have virtually the sum of all human knowledge available at our fingertips. Schools are a hold-over of the past. Feeling bad for an industry who's time is past is silly. Like wagon drivers lamenting the automobile Those who wish to learn anything can do so on their own with little barriers in any way.

The only reason that schools exist is because parents need subsidized day care so that they can work to pay for the abominable confiscation of wealth by our government.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
The fact that teachers have to purchase classroom materials at their own personal expense is a national embarrassment.

We're fortunate to have some teachers that go above and beyond to make sure their students' needs are met.

To add insult to injury, GOP's tax bill won't allow educators to deduct these out of pocket expenses from their taxes.

The recently passed tax bill will result in the tax burden of already broke grad students going up by as much as 300%, which would see their take-home pay drop by 25%.

Science and technology development has been the story of the past 100 years. The discoveries and innovations are progressing at a dazzling rate, much of this lead by researchers at universities in the USA. At these universities, a substantial amount of the work is done by graduate students, who work long hours (80 hours weeks aren't unusual) for little pay.

Teachers, who often need a masters, will also be discouraged from pursuing a career in education.

Enrollment in teacher training programs is already down by 20 to 50 percent , varies by state.

GOP is starving the public education system and discouraging higher education, which we particularly need in math and science.
....... Meh. Big deal. Those same teachers get a much bigger personal exemption - a lot more.
But you already know that.

Man! You guys are groping.
It'll be fine.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
We have virtually the sum of all human knowledge available at our fingertips. Schools are a hold-over of the past. Feeling bad for an industry who's time is past is silly. Like wagon drivers lamenting the automobile Those who wish to learn anything can do so on their own with little barriers in any way.

The only reason that schools exist is because parents need subsidized day care so that they can work to pay for the abominable confiscation of wealth by our government.
I can’t say how dumb I think this is because im already on my fourth infraction

Old 11-19-2017, 04:55 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The maximum deduction is $250.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
But...but...but...

Someone has to pay so the struggling rich get a tax cut

Old 11-19-2017, 04:57 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post

Hmm, where are these teachers located? I'm just asking because for my kid's entire school careers I have been asked to not only buy my kid's supplies, but also many other items that might be needed in the classrooms. Kleenex, paper towels, crayons, markers, notebook paper, construction paper, copy paper, glue, the list goes on and on and on. Any science projects which required materials I received a note from the teachers with a list of stuff to buy for my children's projects. So seriously, what are these teachers paying for out of pocket?

PS. During elementary school my children's supplies were put together with all the other supplies brought in by other parents. Then, during the year, the supplies were dolled out communally to all students. So even if students didn't bring in their supplies, they were supplied by myself and the other parents who brought in the required supplies. So the teachers weren't buying the less fortunate kid's supplies either, the other parents were.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I can’t say how dumb I think this is because im already on my fourth infraction
What can you learn in a public school that you cannot learn on the internet? What do you learn at the university that is not available on the internet?

Although, I personally did find SOME actual use when I went for mechanical engineering, as I didn't have access to all of the lab equipment in my home

Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
whoa $250 max deduction? About the price of a pity party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies