Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There's no way to stop other countries from doing things like this, but let's not have the US contributing to this abhorrent practice.
Yes. We can only do what we can do. And we are trying to work on our own animal welfare issues.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
At people of course believing propaganda that legal hunting trips provide enough money to conserve animal habitats.

It’s minimal if anything, it’s mostly a privately run.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've always thought differently. I've heard many of those countries are sitting on billions of dollars of confiscated ivory. So with a ban in place that makes it profitable for those that want to sell it. The ban has created demand. Now if the market was flooded with ivory, the cost of it would plummet and there wouldn't be all the black market poachers trying to get rich from the sale and export of it.

Now, I really don't have an issue with hunters but don't understand the trophy hunt thing. Especially with Elephants, probably because I find them fascinating creatures. I guess the only way I could see a hunt for one is if it is proven that they are overpopulating , and this is causing the herds harm. Like here in the US with deer.
Overall, researchers estimate that African elephant numbers have plummeted more than 95% over the past century. I don't think elephant over-population is a problem.

The photo of Donald Scum Jr brandishing the elephant's tail he hacked off the animal as some kind of victory is disgusting. Who in their right mind would find enjoyment out of destroying and dismembering a beautiful animal? Only a sick hateful twisted individual.

Legalizing ivory trade won't save elephants, study concludes | Science | AAAS

Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
From the OP link:

"The Trump administration plans to allow hunters to import trophies of elephants they killed in Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the United States, reversing a ban put in place by the Obama administration in 2014, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service official confirmed to ABC News today"

Relax, everybody.

This just makes America great again.

It's not something especially for tRump kids.

FROM THE ARTICLE
. The US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has now decided to reverse the ban, meaning that big game hunters who visit Zambia and Zimbabwe will be permitted to bring trophies such as tusks and tails back to the US.

What were you thinking trophies meant, Old Gringo? Those plastic trophies, maybe of a hunter shooting and elephant?
Trophy here means part of the DEAD ELEPHANT

Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We have a lot of "ugly Americans" posting here that seem to think that the US is the center of the universe and that our laws will protect a species globally and that others will see the error of their cultural ways once we *sniff* point out what they are doing wrong.
Quote:
There's no way to stop other countries from doing things like this, but let's not have the US contributing to this abhorrent practice.
Exactly

Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. We can only do what we can do. And we are trying to work on our own animal welfare issues.
Have you not heard of the circle of life???
It involves everything on this Earth no matter where it is.
Some humans think they are above it or just plain do not understand it.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I hope that all of Trump's blue collar deplorable voters are happy now that Dear Leader has eliminated that burdensome regulation that prevented them from bringing home the trophies from their leisurely African safaris. #MAGA!
Doesn't bother me one way or the other. Americans and others are still participating in the legal hunts. And they were never banned from bring home trophies for other countries.

Quote:
The ban never prohibited hunting in these two countries. The reversal of the ban doesn't affect actually killing the elephants. I wouldn't be surprised as corrupt as these governments are in Africa that for a little extra cash the trophies weren't shipped to the hunters anyway.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Overall, researchers estimate that African elephant numbers have plummeted more than 95% over the past century. I don't think elephant over-population is a problem.

The photo of Donald Scum Jr brandishing the elephant's tail he hacked off the animal as some kind of victory is disgusting. Who in their right mind would find enjoyment out of destroying and dismembering a beautiful animal? Only a sick hateful twisted individual.

Legalizing ivory trade won't save elephants, study concludes | Science | AAAS

I never said it was. And as far as Don Jr., I don't care who it is , it is still sickening. Just because you or I don't agree with it though, doesn't make the people that do evil. I know plenty of hunters, some of the big game, wild game whatever you call it and I don't judge them.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM

29,491 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Have you not heard of the circle of life???
It involves everything on this Earth no matter where it is.
Some humans think they are above it or just plain do not understand it.

The circle of life is one thing. Do your hunt, take the meat and go about your day. Being proud and showcasing the killing just seems wrong. My opinion, and I don't judge others that think differently.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The circle of life is one thing. Do your hunt, take the meat and go about your day. Being proud and showcasing the killing just seems wrong. My opinion, and I don't judge others that think differently.
it's not for the meat. It's just to say you killed something in the "wild"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies