Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And the consequences. I don't have a big problem with those willing to actually accept the consequences of their actions.
When the entire economy collapses, everyone suffers the consequences, not just the perpetrators. Whole businesses that had nothing to do with financial speculation go bankrupt. People lose their jobs. Which leads to even more business failures. Financial regulation was put in place during the 1930s Great Depression to prevent another depression. That regulation was repealed, and oddly enough, we got another Great Depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
nevermind

Old 11-16-2017, 09:21 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
China has already won.

They used our own corporations and corrupt government against us.

We’ll be the first nation in history to lose our superpower status for the sake of next quarter’s profits.

Beat me to it. You are spot on. China won 20 or more years ago.

For instance, one of the industries we pretty much gave away , the tool , die and mold industry. It has become a multi trillion rmb a year industry. Which converts to over 300 billion dollars a year. And that is just one of many industries our government and corporations sold out.
While we sit here an bicker over what bathroom to use, or that Trump blinked the wrong way...they continue to kick our ass. It's over and our dumbasses don't even know it yet.

And this is a few years old, I can only imagine what the profits are now.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...253175141.html

Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Beat me to it. You are spot on. China won 20 or more years ago.

For instance, one of the industries we pretty much gave away , the tool , die and mold industry. It has become a multi trillion rmb a year industry. Which converts to over 300 billion dollars a year. And that is just one of many industries our government and corporations sold out.
While we sit here an bicker over what bathroom to use, or that Trump blinked the wrong way...they continue to kick our ass. It's over and our dumbasses don't even know it yet.

And this is a few years old, I can only imagine what the profits are now.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...253175141.html
Yep. “Conservatives” are so busy fighting the evil “liberals” and vice versa, that no one notices we are becoming a Third World country.

I guess we won’t have time to fight about God, Guns, and Gays when we are working 12 hours per day, 7 days a week in sweatshops for $0.05/hour.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
There is no reason a company here can't make a pair of boots for $150 dollars........
Yeah, I call BS on that. Well, it depends. Boots are one of my favorite things. I prefer mine made in the USA and by hand. The company I buy my boots from is a 100 year old company.
First off we will start with the leather. For a higher end boot, you want your leather tanned from one of the 5 remaining large scale tanneries left in the US. Horween being the best of them. They , due to high EPA regulations (the chemicals are very dangerous) can not offer leather as cheap as other parts of the world. So right off the bat, your main component , leather, is more expensive then some leather that was sourced from India and tanned using urine with little to no regulations. Add transportation to get the materials to the maker and there is more cost. Most good boots are Goodyear welted, a machine process but still hand made, not automated. Then the fact of demand, there isn't a huge demand for hand made boots anymore , so naturally the cost will be more.

So , if the demand was more, and they sourced the leather from India, and used a molded sole instead of a Goodyearwelt, sure I agree that boots could be made here for the same price. If you want quality though , you pay. Pure and simple. There is a reason those those Red Wing Heritage collection boots cost more, and personally for a few bucks more one can get a much higher quality boot than those.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yep. “Conservatives” are so busy fighting the evil “liberals” and vice versa, that no one notices we are becoming a Third World country.

I guess we won’t have time to fight about God, Guns, and Gays when we are working 12 hours per day, 7 days a week in sweatshops for $0.05/hour.
Exactly. I really feel for the younger people, they are going to have a much different life than I and others my age did. Although, from what I see in the news, they are brainwashed in school to either not care or not believe how much this country is changing.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
I couldn't care less anymore. I'll be dead by the time America is burned to the ground. Our own citizens and leaders don't seem to care so why should I? Too many of the voting public worship the government creatures that put this stuff into motion. It's too late to stop the downfall of this country. The future generations who vote for this garbage will just have to live with the mess they create.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Made in the USA and USA Built are two different things. Red wing Categorizes their boots with the following and you can even filter them on their website.

• Made in USA
  • Made in USA with Imported Materials
  • Assembled in the USA with Imported Components
  • Made in China
All of the ones "Made in the USA" are going to carry a substantially higher price tag.

I don't know where "USA Built" falls but likely "Assembled in the USA with Imported Components".
Right. You do not know.

Does "Handcrafted in the USA" work for you?

https://www.sheplers.com/justin-orig...r=7076#start=8

Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Bannon is a little similar to Pat Buchanan, Pat Buchanan said many years ago that all of this was going to happen. He wrote like 4 books that touched on the subject.

As I said in another thread though the lefties would not support many of the ideologies that China has. You can prop up China all day if you want - but make sure you know what you're propping up. If you want the U.S. to handle immigration just like China, by all means, put up or shut up.

Go ask China what they think about "sanctuary" cities.

China does NOT want poor immigrants from third world countries, except for overseas workers that are a maid or housekeeper and will work for peanuts. Whereas the the lefties in the U.S. think we should just have open borders and let any moron stroll right into the country that wants to.

Quote:
As if they have a choice. Both major political parties bought and paid for by corporate interests.
Yes this is true the Democrats have let the exact same stuff go on for at least 30 years. It's why people didn't vote for Hillary, well, one of many reasons lol.

If the Democrats really wanted to start to change all of this they would have closed all of the tax loopholes and so on decades ago. They don't want to do it because all of their super rich buddies are using the exact same loopholes they criticize other people for using.

That is exactly what Trump called out Hillary on in the debates.

What the Democrats do differently is they appear to pander to minorities and poor people better so it gives them

the illusion that they are different, and people fall for it. They have the media on their side and they are very good at playing the race card.

It's all smoke and mirrors though.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-16-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Right. You do not know.

Does "Handcrafted in the USA" work for you?

https://www.sheplers.com/justin-orig...r=7076#start=8
While American made, they are built just like the overseas boots. That leather is okay, vegetable or chrome tanned is better and those are not "goodyear" welted. I see no stitching on the sole, which means they can't be resoled. They are just throw away run of the mill boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies