Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,532,484 times

Advertisements

An analysis in the article linked below, describes how unpopular the proposed Republican tax bill is, with a large majority of people-----only 25% at the present time approve of it. If the predictions come true, there could be a massive landslide in favor of democrats, in the 2018 congressional elections.

So why do republicans keep on pushing this legislation, when it's obvious that they could lose all their power because of it? I'm wondering if they might have something else in mind about maintaining power and it's not based on fair elections.

GOP tax plans make midterm landslide more likely for Dems | TheHill

Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,960,635 times
I agree. It is a LOSER.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM

5,713 posts, read 2,164,139 times
It's poison if they don't pass it. This is a big reason they were put in office and given control of the government, they may never get another chance.

Some Democrats could try to improve it but they don't seem interested in that, they're a lost cause on taxes and business

Last edited by ColoradoOnMyMind; 11-16-2017 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM

16,934 posts, read 12,483,813 times
They are too bought by special interest lobbies to do any tax plan that would have popular support.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Some Democrats could try to improve it but they don't seem interested in that
I can't see anything in the bill that suggests Republicans are willing to compromise with Democrats.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,576,388 times
more and more negative as possible spin against the GOP by MSM....big surprise.

Last edited by tripleh; 11-16-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,532,484 times
Quote:
It's poison if they don't pass it. This is a big reason they were put in office and given control of the government, they may never get another chance.

Some Democrats could try to improve it but they don't seem interested in that, they're a lost cause on taxes and business

You're right about the Republicans, when you say they may never get another chance to skew our government in their favor. But they seem intent on tossing a stink-bomb into the works, on their way out. But you're wrong when you say they have control of things. They are so fragmented, with their ranks riddled by corrupt members, that they have become their own worst enemies.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:30 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,187,069 times
I have to admit that it's not the best bill in the world. After digging through it, especially the senate's warped verison where they have all those stupid tax brackets, and the house version where they get rid of inheritance tax, and both versons where they stealthily raise the capital gains avoidance on real estate sales from 2 to 5 years... the tax plan can die for all I care. They are trying to obfuscate the fact that this tax cut is not really much of a cut for the working class AT ALL and only benefits people in select circumstances.

It's really just a corporate tax cut that punishes some upper class people in high tax states to pay for it.

My version would actually simplify the tax code, make the top pay more, and get me reelected, and probably get me assassinated in the process. The rich love their capital gains loophole. Pegging the capital gains tax to the income tax rates would NOT be a popular move.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,385,813 times
Quote:

How? Every Republican meeting was a closed door meeting without inviting one Democrat. So do tell how they are supposed to improve it.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,975,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I have to admit that it's not the best bill in the world. After digging through it, especially the senate's warped verison where they have all those stupid tax brackets, and the house version where they get rid of inheritance tax, and both versons where they stealthily raise the capital gains avoidance on real estate sales from 2 to 5 years... the tax plan can die for all I care. They are trying to obfuscate the fact that this tax cut is not really much of a cut for the working class AT ALL and only benefits people in select circumstances.

It's really just a corporate tax cut that punishes some upper class people in high tax states to pay for it.

My version would actually simplify the tax code, make the top pay more, and get me reelected, and probably get me assassinated in the process. The rich love their capital gains loophole. Pegging the capital gains tax to the income tax rates would NOT be a popular move.
If that wasn't obvious before it should be with the whole cuts for the workers being temporary and corporate tax cut permanent.

They got elected to reform taxes, not give corporate America another big handout while shafting the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies