Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
I think this thread belongs in the Politics and other Controversies forum.
Amen! Maybe if a couple people notify the mods, we can get someone to move it to where it belongs.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Speaking as someone who lives in TX and has house in FL and spends half the year there
Naples by income group is one of the wealthiest towns in FL--demographics likely skews conservative
The STATE of FL has strong conservative bent--
I saw plenty of McCain and Trump yard signs in the past election cycles
And from the NextDoor postings of neighbors in my subdivision south of Sarasota and those in our area there are MANY conservatives but there are some more liberal posters judging from general comments

In my area of TX the people in my precinct have elected a state representative (R) who is just above Cro Magnon in IQ/attitude...I admit I am a liberal so my view is slanted but this guy has admitted that marital rape doesn't really exist because of his religious conviction...he has carried a gun onto the floor of the TX house--
He is just a jerk--but that attitude appeals to enough voters to keep him in office---

Area has very good schools, very safe area, decent city Govt, and has some mixed ethnicity and income levels--so not strictly a "white enclave" type of situation...
I know most of our neighbors are more religious and more conservative than we are--but our next door neighbors while they hate Trump likely still voted for him because they are Catholics (abortion issue)...
People who have more liberal leanings likely don't advertise them by yard signs for Obama or Clinton because of the possibility of vandalism...

Personally I would consider moving out of the US to a country that doesn't seem to be trading some aspects of the Constitution for a more conservative/religious, and oligarchic stance--but my husband won't consider it
He doesn't even want to relocate to more liberal state for part of the year
(and he hates Trump and what this Govt is doing with the EPA and other branches)...
Plus it would mean trying to get both our married kids and our grandson to do it as well
I worry more about the country my grandson will grow up in since he has an increasing timeline and I have a decreasing one--but still even 20 yrs can be an eternity...
Fla has a strong conservative bent? I disagree. Florida is SO diverse in population groups it is more accurately described as a swing state. That's why Pres. candidates visit the state so heavily (unlike CA, where it's solidly Dem.)

Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
People like Larry Siegel showing such absolute contempt for Christianity that he publicly mocks followers of Jesus Christ.
Why not simply respect others rather than display your public hate for them? Are they somehow trampling on your liberties?
Those who feel so aggrieved by this or that public display of creedal affiliation, probably do indeed feel that they, as members of the opposing tribe, are being personally vilified by displayers of said sign. They feel justified in escalating; or going further, they might feel that NOT speaking up, is cowardly and unprincipled.

This whole debate revolves not around the personal opinions of one's neighbors, not around the convictions that they hold in private, but in how the prevailing tenor of the community is influenced. The scene that I imagine is a newcomer being welcomed by the neighbors, invited to attend a worship-service for example... and upon politely declining, never again seeing said neighbor... not even exchanging a wave when passing by their driveway. So while of course it's silly to let mere symbols irritate one, the idea is that symbols are shortcuts for underlying world-view, and when world-views clash starkly, neighborly comity is hard to sustain.

While I agree that it's silly to heap scorn on the Jesus-follower, merely on account of a symbol on a truck, I find it to be odd and more than vaguely disconcerting, that nobody has yet condemned the ostracizing of the guy with the hammer and sickle. Pluralism, one gathers, has its limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Personally I would consider moving out of the US to a country that doesn't seem to be trading some aspects of the Constitution for a more conservative/religious, and oligarchic stance....
While your stance has merit, I cringe in anticipation of you - and now likely also me - receiving responses along the lines of "good riddance", or "don't let the door slam against your posterior as you leave".

Another way of viewing the situation, is to consider the overall churn in the population of a given place. Consider some town, or county. What percentage of the denizens were born there? What percentage are from say within a 100 mile radius? Never mind the politics or religion. I contend, that in a place - any place! - where most of those who live there, have always lived there, well, the overall tenor and attitudes will be starkly different, from those of a place where most people are from somewhere else.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Fla has a strong conservative bent? I disagree. Florida is SO diverse in population groups it is more accurately described as a swing state. That's why Pres. candidates visit the state so heavily (unlike CA, where it's solidly Dem.)
Do you live in FL?
Yes it is a swing state because of pocket voting blocks
But in smaller areas it is much more weighted one side than another

Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Don't move to our area - very LIBERAL/Young Progressives and I have had a touch of their nastiness. When you are on Nextdoor you find out just exactly what your neighbors are like and political leanings. Should you give a description of an individual who has robbed in your neighborhood - you are labeled a racist. It's just crazy.

My husband and I want to move but have decided to just mind our own business - don't talk to anyone but our immediate neighbors who are great and that's it...Our block is diverse BUT the people are kind w/ good hearts. We love them. We will stick it out until he can retire and than move to Prescott, AZ

It's the young people who are bad.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Don't move to our area - very LIBERAL/Young Progressives and I have had a touch of their nastiness. When you are on Nextdoor you find out just exactly what your neighbors are like and political leanings. Should you give a description of an individual who has robbed in your neighborhood - you are labeled a racist. It's just crazy.

My husband and I want to move but have decided to just mind our own business - don't talk to anyone but our immediate neighbors who are great and that's it...Our block is diverse BUT the people are kind w/ good hearts. We love them. We will stick it out until he can retire and than move to Prescott, AZ

It's the young people who are bad.
The opposite up here, not too far from you. So yes, people do tend to live among others of their kind.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Which is why California has the 3rd most Republicans in Congress of any state. Yes I know the highest population but still not exactly solid Dem (unlike Oregon which is just barely not solid Dem)

Old 11-21-2017, 11:09 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,283 times
Some people like to segregate themselves into self-imposed ideological ghettos.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Reading this thread makes me feel fortunate to live in a purple county ... although the political leaning was far more conservative when I moved here over a decade ago. The inner and middle ring suburbs of Atlanta are not the right choice for those looking for a homogeneous environment where virtually everyone has the same perspective. Most people are drawn to the area because of a strong job market, quality amenities and schools, and plenty of green space with reasonable housing prices. Those attributes are welcomed by people of all political persuasions. Of course there are places a short drive away in rural Georgia and Atlanta's urban core that are far less balanced on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM

811 posts, read 621,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Those who feel so aggrieved by this or that public display of creedal affiliation, probably do indeed feel that they, as members of the opposing tribe, are being personally vilified by displayers of said sign. They feel justified in escalating; or going further, they might feel that NOT speaking up, is cowardly and unprincipled.

This whole debate revolves not around the personal opinions of one's neighbors, not around the convictions that they hold in private, but in how the prevailing tenor of the community is influenced. The scene that I imagine is a newcomer being welcomed by the neighbors, invited to attend a worship-service for example... and upon politely declining, never again seeing said neighbor... not even exchanging a wave when passing by their driveway. So while of course it's silly to let mere symbols irritate one, the idea is that symbols are shortcuts for underlying world-view, and when world-views clash starkly, neighborly comity is hard to sustain.

While I agree that it's silly to heap scorn on the Jesus-follower, merely on account of a symbol on a truck, I find it to be odd and more than vaguely disconcerting, that nobody has yet condemned the ostracizing of the guy with the hammer and sickle. Pluralism, one gathers, has its limits.
I appreciate your thoughts but it sounds like speculation rather than reality. Personally, I know no true Christians who would ignore their new neighbors just because they wouldn't come to their little tea party or bible study. That scenario is laughable.

As for no outrage for the "H&S" guy? Same thing; completely fabricated scenario. When was the last time you saw a hammer and sickle bumper sticker? Lol.
I wouldn't mind putting one on a buddy's car just to see what would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies