Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,537,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What would make LA a good example of a 'typical' American city?
Oh Houston, what percentage of people are moving downtown?

In Dallas?

What percentage of people in Santa Clara are packing up their things to move downtown SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,205,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm so happy you brought up the water engine. It illustrates the goofy conspiracy theories people believe.

Yeah, those folks know the oil companies bought up and hid that 200MPG carburetor years ago!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,854,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I live within walking distance (ranging from 100 ft to 1 mile) of every necessity I need. That's the advantage of living Downtown vs the suburbs like you guys. I view car necessity as a prison of its own
I am amazed every time I go to NYC. Amazed by how many homes have bars on their windows. Some of the bars are stylish. They all look like a prison to me. I couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere where I felt so threatened to need bars on the windows and multiple deadbolts on my doors.
Rural life for me. I do want high speed trains and I do enjoy visiting cities.
I agree with you on the pure convenience of city life. The sheer variety is amazing. In the town closest to me there are 2 gas stations and a restaurant. The next town has more, but its the same.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Oh Houston, what percentage of people are moving downtown?

In Dallas?

What percentage of people in Santa Clara are packing up their things to move downtown SF?

I give up. What are the percentages?

Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am amazed every time I go to NYC. Amazed by how many homes have bars on their windows. Some of the bars are stylish. They all look like a prison to me. I couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere where I felt so threatened to need bars on the windows and multiple deadbolts on my doors.
Rural life for me. I do want high speed trains and I do enjoy visiting cities.
I agree with you on the pure convenience of city life. The sheer variety is amazing. In the town closest to me there are 2 gas stations and a restaurant. The next town has more, but its the same.
It still comes down to person priorities. What is more important to an individual, more restaurants or building a motocross course on the back few acres?

Different people place different values on such things.

Typically speaking, I seem to notice downtown urban dwellers see their priorities as "correct" and those of people in the suburb or rural areas as "incorrect ".

Old 11-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I give up. What are the percentages?
I don't know, but the people saying there exists a migration trend of people moving downtown should.

I don't believe there is any significant movement of people into urban downtown areas; therefore, I'd like to see the data from those making the claim.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,062,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true. Rail is a 20th century solution. For developed countries, the cost far outweighs the benefit for new construction. And it's a very inflexible solution. Trains only go where the rails go, not necessarily where people want to go. And once the rails are built, you cannot change where they go.

Rail fits China nicely for many reasons. Their entire country is centrally controlled so the government can do whatever it wants to do. Freedom of citizens is never an issue. So eminent domain is the norm and they don't ever have to fight to take the land needed for rail because the GOVERNMENT owns all of the land.

Extremely cheap labor is also a factor. They have almost a billion people living on $5 per day or less. Those people will gladly work for almost nothing.

The USA should forget about rail construction and focus on the future which is driverless vehicles.
Don't forget that the Chinese were instrumental in building our rail infrastructure in the 19th century, for the same reason.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I don't know, but the people saying there exists a migration trend of people moving downtown should.
That would likely be the Census Bureau.

Quote:
I don't believe there is any significant movement of people into urban downtown areas; therefore, I'd like to see the data from those making the claim.
https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...8EQ5AJ20120326

Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,136,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If the people wanted high speed rail the cost wouldn't be insurmountable.

But they don't......

We're too married to our cars and the freedom and independence they bring to care about high speed rail.
Problem is that traffic congestion is getting ridiculous and I don't see it improving

Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That would likely be the Census Bureau.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...8EQ5AJ20120326
Is the Census Bureau referring to metro area or downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies