Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,209,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Well (to get back on the rails), since heart disease is the biggest killer in the US, and obesity is the leading cause of heart disease... lets ban fast food, or any pre-prepared foods. You've save the most lives that way, cut way down on medical system loads too (costs too).

The farming and transportation of exotic fruits and vegetables is relatively resource intensive. Say what you want about pre-prepared foods, they tend to be a lot more environmentally friendly as corn and wheat are relatively efficient crops to farm in large quantities when you look at the output of crop to the amount of land needed to farm it, not to mention the extended shelf life these foods have. Plus people have been eating these foods for 100 years now and they still live to a ripe old age. The key is moderation. If anything we are simply eating too much.

People who want to buy organic and grass fed may have good intentions, but it's a relatively environmental wasteful way to eat unless the stuff is grown locally, which admittedly can be and is done, but then you only get your delicious watermelon, apples, cantaloupe, etc, during certain times of the year, mostly in the autumn.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:17 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,655,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The farming and transportation of exotic fruits and vegetables is relatively resource intensive. Say what you want about pre-prepared foods, they tend to be a lot more environmentally friendly as corn and wheat are relatively efficient crops to farm in large quantities when you look at the output of crop to the amount of land needed to farm it, not to mention the extended shelf life these foods have. Plus people have been eating these foods for 100 years now and they still live to a ripe old age. The key is moderation. If anything we are simply eating too much.

People who want to buy organic and grass fed may have good intentions, but it's a relatively environmental wasteful way to eat unless the stuff is grown locally, which admittedly can be and is done, but then you only get your delicious watermelon, apples, cantaloupe, etc, during certain times of the year, mostly in the autumn.
That's why I grow food, along with ornamental flowers and shrubs. I don't think I'm far enough South to actually grow sugar.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:39 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,728,364 times
If we were not all thugs and sociopaths, we would realize we only need to ban government aggression upon the individual...

Live and let live.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:16 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,467,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Guns. My guess is most ban-happy people would want to see guns banished, believing that a ban would solve a lot of our recent woes of mass shootings.

I just heard on the news that a drone crashed in a prison, a drone carrying contraband to prisoners. Between that and privacy, drones must be banned.

Cigarettes, the killer. Sure they're in partial ban-mode already. Many restaurants & hotels, even some towns, consider themselves smoke-free. Just ban them.

Trump reversed a decision and is now banning the import of elephant hunting trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia back to the U.S.

So what else should be on the "ban" list? What else do people consider regulations limiting use isn't enough?
The basis of Banning Implements is feeble.

You can weaponize and misuse/abuse anything.

You are quite fond of your Ram. Someone else could use that Identical truck to run over a group of people. Would banning Rams be conducive for society based on the actions of a scumbag? Nope.
Banning a drone, a kids toy, because scumbags misuse them?

The logic of banning implements is a weak and feeble one.

Diet soda contains aspartame a substance that will disable me with lethal migraines. Should diet soda be banned? Nope. Just means I do not drink it.

Banning doesn't achieve anything except invoke ingenuity to carry out the same intentions with the same incentives with a different implement.

And that whole designed and intended to kill... Well we could argue that one on the basis of dynamite...
Nobel Peace Prize awarded for Dynamite... Should that be a readily available implement on the basis of designed and intended use? Or should it be regulated as it currently is because someone Might misuse it?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:26 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,246,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Let's ban diet cola. That stuff tastes terrible.
You have my support.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,286,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Let's ban diet cola. That stuff tastes terrible.
+1

diva360 for President 2020

Old 11-19-2017, 02:39 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,001,502 times
We should ban wearing thick rimmed glasses in urban areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fujTYHfyI

Old 11-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
We should ban wearing thick rimmed glasses in urban areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fujTYHfyI
I wear sunglasses. My SO does so as well.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
+1

diva360 for President 2020
I do not think I want that job; however, if the president needed a communications director, I'd have to fire hope.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Some will ask, "Hope who?" Hope Hicks (the person) is currently the WH Communications Director. That is a different position than the Press Secretary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies