Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:24 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,728,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Depending where... the end result might be smoking an oak or willow tree 4 foot plus in diameter, punching through a guard rail and going 200+ feet to your doom, or ricochet out of a ditch and into a swamp or corn field. There's alot of desolate areas in upstate NY. It's not all towns and cities...

There are quite a few roads that exist in upstate NY with very sparse traffic, desolate not a house for miles.

State Route 22 from Millerton north comes to mind with the stretches that are smooth as glass for miles. Out near Binghamton. Then route 9 on Catskill side headed to Coxsackie. Then there's the Adirondacks...

I'm talking roads flat, level, no pot holes. Straight no curve that go for miles.

I've had my cousins CTSV up to 198 before it started vibrating like crazy, suspect a tire failure was about to commence. (It's far from stock ported heads, cam, headers, no cats, slp loudmouths, custom written tunes) The road ran parallel to a buddies farm. The road is a straight away there was at least 10 miles long, in the bottom of a valley. You could see coming down east or west bound, going across the straight away and partially up to the next hill. The road I lived on had 2 sharp bends, after those sharp bends, 15 miles of straightaway with a dip in the road. Yeah you didn't race down that one. Hit that dip at over 80 in a car kiss the front fascia goodbye.

I only stated there are roads conducive for those speeds as there are very little amounts of traffic, rarely if at all ever patrolled by police, roads not being the surface of the moon with potholes, but smooth.
Your risks are as I stated. You have a significant chance of smoking a deer once the sun starts to set, and even more so once its dark.

At 100+ a 180-200lb buck makes anything into a pile of scrap metal. Never mind busting through the windshield and kill the occupants.

Should You travel over 100 in upstate? That's your choice to make and risk to take. No other vehicles to smack, no bicyclists or joggers to mow down, no police, no residential areas if you want to chance it go for it.

I simply stated there are areas conducive for it if you have the ability and the vehicle is in condition for it.

There's also back roads with nice winding corners that are banked, uphill and downhill too. That made driving in snow a blast. Left hand corner, go around it sideways, transition into a sharp right banked down hill corner sideways... just don't try it if ice came down with the snow. Otherwise it's through or over the guard rail you go... and a straight or close to straight drop to your demise.

I'd get an engine put together for one of my stock cars, shove it in an old camaro, break the cam in, change the oil, put spare tires cordless impact, and a floor jack in the trunk, go pressure test it. Again. Sparsely populated. 0 traffic. 0 police presence.
Only concern I had was deer, or if I did a burnout long enough to get steel cords exposed and have a blow out.

Long tube headers to glass packs exiting before the rear tires alleviated the deer issue. That's why I didn't run baffles in the pipes on my sportster either. Deer hear the loud roar of a V8 or VTwin they freeze. They won't jump out. Works better than those silly deer whistles...

To be under the impression upstate NY is full of residential areas and towns densely populated with considerable volume of traffic... wrong. It's very possible to reach those speeds. Whether you object to it or not. But should you? That's your decision to make and risk to take.
I love you. <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 PM

25,810 posts, read 16,456,078 times
I had a ‘70 Plymouth Roadrunner when I was 19 or so. I got clocked at 110+ by the local sheriff. Problem back then is they knew all the cars and punks like me driving them. I got home and found the Sheriff’s deputy and my parents having coffee and pie. I went to his jail for the night and washed cop cars every Sunday morning for 6 months for my boneheaded behavior. But a woman her age? Throw the book at her!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 PM

6,729 posts, read 3,337,012 times
I had it up to 100 today driving on 15 through the desert. She got caught. BFD. Go Jeanine.

Is there anything the liberals don't whine about? Jesus H. Christ. Get a life.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,107,261 times
I've been over 120 way more than I can count and hit over 100 almost daily at least for a spell...

Old 11-22-2017, 08:31 PM

10,511 posts, read 6,131,982 times
So many tall tales in this thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 PM

13,168 posts, read 21,764,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Depending where... the end result might be smoking an oak or willow tree 4 foot plus in diameter, punching through a guard rail and going 200+ feet to your doom, or ricochet out of a ditch and into a swamp or corn field. There's alot of desolate areas in upstate NY. It's not all towns and cities...

There are quite a few roads that exist in upstate NY with very sparse traffic, desolate not a house for miles.

State Route 22 from Millerton north comes to mind with the stretches that are smooth as glass for miles. Out near Binghamton. Then route 9 on Catskill side headed to Coxsackie. Then there's the Adirondacks...

I'm talking roads flat, level, no pot holes. Straight no curve that go for miles.

I've had my cousins CTSV up to 198 before it started vibrating like crazy, suspect a tire failure was about to commence. (It's far from stock ported heads, cam, headers, no cats, slp loudmouths, custom written tunes) The road ran parallel to a buddies farm. The road is a straight away there was at least 10 miles long, in the bottom of a valley. You could see coming down east or west bound, going across the straight away and partially up to the next hill. The road I lived on had 2 sharp bends, after those sharp bends, 15 miles of straightaway with a dip in the road. Yeah you didn't race down that one. Hit that dip at over 80 in a car kiss the front fascia goodbye.

I only stated there are roads conducive for those speeds as there are very little amounts of traffic, rarely if at all ever patrolled by police, roads not being the surface of the moon with potholes, but smooth.
Your risks are as I stated. You have a significant chance of smoking a deer once the sun starts to set, and even more so once its dark.

At 100+ a 180-200lb buck makes anything into a pile of scrap metal. Never mind busting through the windshield and kill the occupants.

Should You travel over 100 in upstate? That's your choice to make and risk to take. No other vehicles to smack, no bicyclists or joggers to mow down, no police, no residential areas if you want to chance it go for it.

I simply stated there are areas conducive for it if you have the ability and the vehicle is in condition for it.

There's also back roads with nice winding corners that are banked, uphill and downhill too. That made driving in snow a blast. Left hand corner, go around it sideways, transition into a sharp right banked down hill corner sideways... just don't try it if ice came down with the snow. Otherwise it's through or over the guard rail you go... and a straight or close to straight drop to your demise.

I'd get an engine put together for one of my stock cars, shove it in an old camaro, break the cam in, change the oil, put spare tires cordless impact, and a floor jack in the trunk, go pressure test it. Again. Sparsely populated. 0 traffic. 0 police presence.
Only concern I had was deer, or if I did a burnout long enough to get steel cords exposed and have a blow out.

Long tube headers to glass packs exiting before the rear tires alleviated the deer issue. That's why I didn't run baffles in the pipes on my sportster either. Deer hear the loud roar of a V8 or VTwin they freeze. They won't jump out. Works better than those silly deer whistles...

To be under the impression upstate NY is full of residential areas and towns densely populated with considerable volume of traffic... wrong. It's very possible to reach those speeds. Whether you object to it or not. But should you? That's your decision to make and risk to take.
You are/were quite the motorhead. I used to live near West Point and motorcycled all over upstate NY, so I am familiar with the area.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,252,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So many tall tales in this thread
Really? On any given trip that takes roughly two hours (NJ to PA, for instance), there's at least one car that zooms past my 80mph going at least 100.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
A while ago but I hit the M1 from the north of London at over 100 mph to make a 7AM Flight at Heathrow. Was sailing along at 5AM about 110 when suddenly lights began to gain on me. Oh darn... big speeding ticket coming. Slowed to the limit. Huge Rolls Royce soared past doing at least 130 mph. Most likely royalty.

Had a good friend who use to do the trip from Vegas to LA in the wee hours in 2.5 hours. Would average close to 100 mph. Did it a couple of times a month for years. Got whacked only once and on that occasion he got totaled. A semi tire got him from the other direction. Totaled his vehicle though he was strapped in and survived rolling 5 or 6 revolutions.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,565,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
She's a former officer of the court and should be held accountable and to a higher standard. She's likely imposed harsh sentences on those who have done the same.
This is such a big part of why it matters. She has built her reputation on being all about law and order, and she not only broke the law, with regards to driving, she blew it to smithereens.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,565,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Pffft I drive much faster than that. I got a wallet full of get out of jail free cards. I'm not worried and haven't had to worry the past 24 years.
Do you have any "get out of grave free" cards? If you find some, please send me a couple. I could use an interesting Christmas present this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies