Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times

Advertisements

Maybe he should follow the example of Lincoln's war on the States. As States are only now mere subjects of Federal Occupying Force. The Federal Regime can simply invade any territory and impose its will. Precedent has already been set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I've read extensively on witch hunts, and the thing about a witch hunt is people always justify it by calling something else. You call it exposing serial predators...but it's really just a witch hunt aimed at ginning up the same hysteria and emotions. And they always get out of control.

Would you really call Al Franken a serial predator? I'd call Franken a serial azzhole. Harvey Weinstein on the other hand IS a serial predator. He knowingly used his position of power to abuse women and that's against the law. Franken is just a jerk, and though feminists might not like it being a jerk is not against the law.
Agree with bolded. As we all know, THAT's how it started. It shouldn't get watered down IMO. We are living in the age of social media and it can't be controlled though. Maybe more of a lynch mob/mob mentality some would say? I still wouldn't say that as it was simply about victims uniting. That shouldn't be overlooked. I think some may try to hijack this movement for political reasons. Sad, but follow the money I always say.....

BTW, I wasn't splitting hairs with the witch hunt comment. It was a sneaky, awful way to get women's property and is still going on today in other countries if you checked the 2nd link. Just wanted to clarify as many don't know. All this stuff came out with Weinstein before Halloween and I reread the Salem stuff then so it was fresh in my mind.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM

78,428 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
+1 Totally happens. Women have also been posting their interactions with men on dating apps. Some are posting screengrabs with the names blocked out. This is the G rated stuff that can be daily but is really sick and scary. An all too common scenario will go like:

Guy: "Hey Lisa, how's its going?"
Guy: (10 minutes later) "Why are you ignoring me???"
Guy: (45 minutes later) "You effing tramp!!!"

Decent men have trouble getting dates as they know what women have to weed through. Many of both sexes give up as it's not worth it....Sad state of affairs for everybody......
^^^There are some effed up people out there. I've seen similar exchanges from women to my guy friends as well, it's not easy for anybody.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
That's a good point. From your perspective, do you feel like this crescendo of claims (not this specific set against Rose, but all of it in general) is beginning to make people start tuning out or start wondering if some of it is made up?
Yes, I do feel like people are starting to tune out and it makes me wonder how much is too much? I think its wonderful to be able to discuss these things publicly (if one so chooses). However, as with many other things the media has highlighted these accusations to such a degree that people start tuning out. There are other things happening in this world that has more of an impact on our daily lives than what is going on with these men.

Yes, these women should be heard and yes, these men should be punished if their employers see fit but no, these things do not have an impact on our daily collective lives.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I've read extensively on witch hunts, and the thing about a witch hunt is people always justify it by calling something else. You call it exposing serial predators...but it's really just a witch hunt aimed at ginning up the same hysteria and emotions. And they always get out of control.

Would you really call Al Franken a serial predator? I'd call Franken a serial azzhole. Harvey Weinstein on the other hand IS a serial predator. He knowingly used his position of power to abuse women and that's against the law. Franken is just a jerk, and though feminists might not like it being a jerk is not against the law.
We don't know what all Franken might have done. Are you guilty until we find out whether there is something there are not? Absolutely not. When a person has been known to do some creepy things does it make looking into it legit? It can.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was very sad to see this. I love Charlie Rose because he is a serious journalist and I very much enjoy his PBS show.

Honestly I do think that all these allegations are too much. As a woman, I have also been a victim of sexual harrassment and aggression and even molestation as a child. Honestly, I'd hope that as a nation, and as a progression of the our social consciousness on issues facing girls and women, that instead of just silencing and throwing away these guys who have done these things, that we should give them the opportunity, if they desire to be change leaders on this front.

I mentioned to my spouse and other male family members, that nearly ALL men have done this before, especially to those of us women of a certain age in regards to harrassing women. It is very endemic to our nation. If we are going to blacklist all men who have ever said a sexist comment or touched a woman's leg (or even flashed their dam penis! - unfortunately this has happened to me before as well a few times), then nearly every man in our country will be black listed like this.

IMO we need to come together and engage with these men and see if we can get them to be leaders in helping to curb this sort of behavior from younger men and boys towards girls/women in the future.

Just shaming people without putting in any sort of plans/reforms for the future is not solving the problem of harassment and abuse IMO.
I see what you are saying and if truth be told I think most of us can say we've been overzealous at one time or another in our love lives.

That being said (please people keep reading), most of these claims are WAY more than a drunken hug or kiss or even pat on the butt. There are clear patterns of behavior here which show a profound disregard for how the actions of the aggressor affect their targets.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I guess they know how to party at PBS. An absolute pillar of liberal thought policing.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I do feel like people are starting to tune out and it makes me wonder how much is too much? I think its wonderful to be able to discuss these things publicly (if one so chooses). However, as with many other things the media has highlighted these accusations to such a degree that people start tuning out. There are other things happening in this world that has more of an impact on our daily lives than what is going on with these men.

Yes, these women should be heard and yes, these men should be punished if their employers see fit but no, these things do not have an impact on our daily collective lives.
I think that has more to do with the fact that we live in the age of social media and the average person now has a 5 minute attention span.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I see what you are saying and if truth be told I think most of us can say we've been overzealous at one time or another in our love lives.

That being said (please people keep reading), most of these claims are WAY more than a drunken hug or kiss or even pat on the butt. There are clear patterns of behavior here which show a profound disregard for how the actions of the aggressor affect their targets.
I am aware of the claims against Rose in a particular.

However, as I noted, I honestly do feel that the vast majority of men have harrased or assaulted (from minor to extreme) a girl/woman in some form or fashion.

I've had my bra strap snapped. I've had my but touched/squeezed/smacked, I've had multiple men, as noted flash their junk at me (starting at age 8 BTW, last time it happened I was in my late 20s and it was a guy at work). I had a guy stop me, not let me pass by him, grab my arm, multiple, multiple times. I've had a 19 year old, when I was 12 a neighbor, stop me when I was walking to school, not letting me pass him and him tongue kissing me against my will.

So I've had a lot of "assaults" occur in my life and those are just a few, along with the guy who tried to stick his hand into my undies on the plane.

I don't excuse them and think they are perverts, but IMO it is important to note that the issue that is going on is an endemic issue that men do. Only men can solve it IMO and IMO that involves both pointing out these men and their incidences of assault and harassment and giving them an opportunity to change this sort of behavior and culture from our culture.

So I truly do understand both sides. I said "nearly all" men do this but I honestly believe that all men do it and they need to be the ones to stop doing it. Pointing people out and shaming them out of their jobs is not the solution IMO. We really need to engage men and have them engage with boys to stop this culture from spreading and continuing in our country.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I think that has more to do with the fact that we live in the age of social media and the average person now has a 5 minute attention span.
Agree on the social media thing, not so much on attention span. The media has to fill all the time up they have with something. This month's "something" is sexual abuse and harassment allegations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies