Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 02:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times

Advertisements

Women have been shamed and blamed over the years when they attempted to confront this issue. What is happening now is that Pandora's Box has been opened and many women are saying 'You too?' and speaking up. As one women commented in an interview.. 'Pandora is pi**ed!' The shame is on the perpetrators.

When I was a Fed Investigator starting my career in NYC in the 60s I was told that 'when three men say you are drunk, you are drunk'. Basically if three interviewees gave you similar stories keep going as there is truth in the tale. None of my cases ever went to trial, although my casework was prepared for that possibility, because they were settled before they got that far. There are so many women describing similar behavior that was shared contemporaneously with their friends, some of whom they haven't seen in years, the possibility of their confabulating is remote.

This is about power, not romance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 05:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Women have been shamed and blamed over the years when they attempted to confront this issue. What is happening now is that Pandora's Box has been opened and many women are saying 'You too?' and speaking up. As one women commented in an interview.. 'Pandora is pi**ed!' The shame is on the perpetrators.

When I was a Fed Investigator starting my career in NYC in the 60s I was told that 'when three men say you are drunk, you are drunk'. Basically if three interviewees gave you similar stories keep going as there is truth in the tale. None of my cases ever went to trial, although my casework was prepared for that possibility, because they were settled before they got that far. There are so many women describing similar behavior that was shared contemporaneously with their friends, some of whom they haven't seen in years, the possibility of their confabulating is remote.

This is about power, not romance.
And in many of these cases, the women have the power, not the one they are accusing. There are statues of limitations in our legal system for a reason. If they didn't speak up at the time of the incident, then they should take it to the grave with them. Why wait years, before you decide to ruin a man's reputation?

btw: I do have experience with this, I didn't speak up then and if you knew me in person, I'm damn sure not going to tell you about it, now. (profile it and understand why I keep my mouth shut) It doesn't come from the lack of courage to speak up. So I do find these women's claims suspect.

The other thing that I see that has been created over the years, is a boss can not tell his women workers that they look nice, or take notice of them in anyway, that can be taken as a flirt, that was not flirt, but compliment. How funny for us. Our relationships are strained, gee I wonder why ...

Nell, when three men say you are drunk, there is evidence to back up the claim. If not, then it doesn't matter if you're drunk or not, legally, you're not drunk.
Quote:
There are so many women describing similar behavior that was shared contemporaneously with their friends, some of whom they haven't seen in years, the possibility of their confabulating is remote.
Parroting ...
I think they took gestures out of context. But I'm also thinking some one(s) might be putting them up to it. It's a bit far fetch, yes, but there is just something hinky about these men that have high valued reputations, to now be thrown into the spotlight, by way of character assassination.

There was a thread on here something about how this may have something to do with a way to get Trump removed from office, because of what was brought up about him, during the campaign. (i didn't read the thread, just saw the title) But I thought, Bill Cosby's situation has been in the news way to long for it to be that, so idk ... it's just hinky to me.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I think they took gestures out of context. But I'm also thinking some one(s) might be putting them up to it. It's a bit far fetch, yes, but there is just something hinky about these men that have high valued reputations, to now be thrown into the spotlight, by way of character assassination.
O.K., you say it's a far fetch and being a far fetch shouldn't get those who have a problem with this kind of stuff questioned.

Do some have a bigger agenda? Is it simply a perfect storm? I do not know but I'm not going to get upset over people getting caught up in things they have condemned out of others in the past.

Do we need to tread carefully to not start a witch hunt? We do.

Quote:
There was a thread on here something about how this may have something to do with a way to get Trump removed from office, because of what was brought up about him, during the campaign. (i didn't read the thread, just saw the title) But I thought, Bill Cosby's situation has been in the news way to long for it to be that, so idk ... it's just hinky to me.
I won't dismiss that possibility. I think Cosby's perceived hypocrisy helped bring him down also. It's not going to work with Trump though as he does not care.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:03 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
... it's just hinky to me.
I know the feeling, but that's what happens when the witch hunt mentality takes over. You have feminists yelling these men had it coming, politicians trying to use the hysteria to take out targeted opponents, but once these things develop a certain momentum whipped to an angry froth by social media it gets frenzied and takes out everyone. I mean Democrats beating on Bill Clinton?

Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I know the feeling, but that's what happens when the witch hunt mentality takes over. You have feminists yelling these men had it coming, politicians trying to use the hysteria to take out targeted opponents, but once these things develop a certain momentum whipped to an angry froth by social media it gets frenzied and takes out everyone. I mean Democrats beating on Bill Clinton?
And not one word about the women who were harrassed at work; careers ended, etc. It did and does happen. Many men in power abused it. Really. It's long past time for that to end.

Just you screaming about 'feminists'.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:14 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Thats correct. Not to mention the very important issues impacting all of us. Are not being addressed. Seems to me that's been a pattern in this country for decades. Find an issue that the media can divert us, away from America's issues. Such as all our Mass shootings, lack of proper healthcare, unaffordable housing, education systems not adequately funded, lack of decent paying jobs. The elderly being priced out of everything. Ageing infrastructure. I mean why bother with what is needed to run a society properly.

I do think the harrassment cases do and should be dealth with. I'm all for that . I'm not for the way its being handled. At this point the daily charges against different people, and instant firings. Or basically ruining their careers decades later looks very strange. None of us know the credibility of any of these people. That is the men or women. We are being fed this info daily.

How about some of this effort being put to harrassment, also transferring to all our massive problems in this messed up society.

It really is pathetic when you think about it. The neglect we put towards our own country, yet a a good onslaught to ruin peoples everything decades after is how America sees life. Basically a Natl Enquirer society.

Bring these people charged thru the legal system if time allows it. However drop the daily bombardment of woman and some men crying on TV. Crying for something that happened in 1985 or whenever. I'm beginning to question some of these accusers.. I already don't trust the media or politicians.

I'm very sorry but its about time someone says it. Enough is Enough. Let all these people go thru their lawyers.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Quote:
Lawrence O'Donnell is a friend and colleague of Rose and said he doesn't feel sorry for him. Rose, that other media guy (can't remember his name) and Conyers, O'Donell said were all present when everything went down with Clinton and they DID IT ANYWAY. They knew better and he simply said "No More Passes". I think with some of these high profile people they did know behind the scenes that some had an alter ego and were capable of this behavior. We all get hints about our own coworkers. Heck, for that matter O'Donnell himself was caught on a hot mic recently throwing a fit with staff.

Just wanted to say thanks for listening to what I said about the possibility of politicians hijacking the #MeToo movement for political reasons. It was one thing with Weinstein. I feared that possibility after a certain point and wanted to say it somewhere. I read your post and I agree it is a huge disservice to the true victims.

But, you know what they say...rape victims frequently talk about it....they are victimized twice in our society...many don't come forward as the rape trial can be more traumatic than the rape itself. That's why many bury it.

I see the true witch hunt starting against THEM. Some are going to be proverbially "burned at the stake" for speaking out. Not fair if it's the truth.

Last edited by motownnative; 11-24-2017 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I see the true witch hunt starting against THEM. Some are going to be proverbially "burned at the stake" for speaking out. Not fair if it's the truth.
I can see your point. WaPo has a perspective on that too...From Lena Dunham to Kellyanne Conway: The powerful women defending powerful men accused of sexual assault

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.801450f4431d

I suspect part of it is friends will naturally defend friends.

But the problem with witch hunts is everyone gets burned. Here is Fast Company's list of men being accused

https://www.fastcompany.com/40489989...ince-weinstein

And the NYT reports that House and Senate Are ‘Among the Worst’ for Harassment...https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/u...itol-hill.html

The acccused and accusers will likely get caught in the same fire, just look how shabbily libs treated Leeann Tweeden on CD.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thats correct. Not to mention the very important issues impacting all of us. Are not being addressed. Seems to me that's been a pattern in this country for decades. Find an issue that the media can divert us, away from America's issues. Such as all our Mass shootings, lack of proper healthcare, unaffordable housing, education systems not adequately funded, lack of decent paying jobs. The elderly being priced out of everything. Ageing infrastructure. I mean why bother with what is needed to run a society properly.

Bring these people charged thru the legal system if time allows it. However drop the daily bombardment of woman and some men crying on TV. Crying for something that happened in 1985 or whenever. I'm beginning to question some of these accusers.. I already don't trust the media or politicians.

I'm very sorry but its about time someone says it. Enough is Enough. Let all these people go thru their lawyers.
I agree with the national distraction and neglecting our infrastructure issues, etc. Let's just look at how dumbed down the public is and what they want to read. I need only mention the Kardashians.

Many of the people coming forward are just talking about it. Statute of limitations are up anyway. They are just facing an ugly societal problem that's not talked about. Just tune out if it makes you uncomfortable.

Just want to mention that I only know two people in my life who were messed up enough to end up in prison. I don't hang around criminals. Coincidentally both of these MEN I know for a fact were sexually abused as kids. Not an excuse, but I see it as a factor. I witnessed their downward spiral.

My niece is a counselor and so is one of my friends. They have similar stories about the drug addicts they work with. There are a disproportionate amount that are really messed up in the head and were abused as kids. They are self medicating and it's helping to fuel our drug epidemic. Just saying.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I can see your point. WaPo has a perspective on that too...From Lena Dunham to Kellyanne Conway: The powerful women defending powerful men accused of sexual assault

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.801450f4431d

I suspect part of it is friends will naturally defend friends.

But the problem with witch hunts is everyone gets burned. Here is Fast Company's list of men being accused

https://www.fastcompany.com/40489989...ince-weinstein

And the NYT reports that House and Senate Are ‘Among the Worst’ for Harassment...https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/u...itol-hill.html

The acccused and accusers will likely get caught in the same fire, just look how shabbily libs treated Leeann Tweeden on CD.
You have a way with words that I don't. You are so right. In that way it's making me tune out too. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies