Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times

Advertisements

I always believe in keeping at least a few thousand dollars at home for emergency situations. I cant ever rely on banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

My point of the story is this. I was 100% cooperative and 100% calm. They wanted to see my ID? They can have it. They wanted to see my cards, they can have it. They wanted to know what I was doing, I calmly told them everything. I even showed them the ad for the item I wanted to buy on my phone.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. You created a situation that was very suspicious to begin with. As you knew, you were ready for it. Now imagine you are taking your first cashback that too of $20 or so and all walmart employees come and gather around you! That is unexpected and you would have reacted differently. Then police shows up - this is when you will go nuts! That is what happens in most of the bad stories.

You also mentioned $500 limit. I will tell you a secret if you are in similar situation next time - call the number on the back of your card and ask them to increase your withdrawal limit temporarily. They will do it while you are on the phone - withdraw whatever amount you need. This is your money- bank can't refuse to increase limit temporarily. I have done it maybe 10 times.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think I would have complied, mainly because there was nothing illegal going on. I would be asking the stores security team why they felt the need to call local police over such a thing too, what did they say, " We have a guy who is abusing our cash back policy"? Cmon. LOL. They had no right to ask you what you were doing.

I would probably also contact an attorney afterwards and challenge their actions, even if it became too inconvenient, after a certain point, its about the principle, its getting too crazy when they are that suspicious of people.
And you might have been a story in the next day's newspaper.

You've missed the entire point of the OP. The point is to cooperate, not act like an ass just because you can.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times
Quote:
Asian American male.

When did I mention race other than I'm not white?
Philando Castile was Asian- who knew? Its not like American cops are killing unarmed Asians at the same rate as Black men.
How many get pulled over for Driving While Asian?
Apples and Oranges mate. My guess is, if you were black- you'd be wearing orange.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Perhaps you missed my post 33?

//www.city-data.com/forum/50191463-post33.html
Yes I did. Which makes it better or worse? lol
I just went back and looked at it after seeing the pic of your receipts.

You can't withdraw more than a certain amount but you can get past that by doing what you did. The bank doesn't know the difference between purchasing 100 worth of items and adding on 100 to a purchase which is odd. You'd think there would be a flag that goes up on the account at a minimum or that the cash back from purchase would have a limit too.

Back to the OP
Quote:
You know those high profile cases of people getting tased, beaten, or even shot by the police? If you watch the videos, I'm not saying in all cases but I dare say in most cases the victims were very rude, very confrontational, and acted like they were on a crusade. They always screamed things like "why do you want my ID? What are you charging me with?" Then there were the annoying people with loud music and refused to turn it down when the cop asked them to.

If you don't want to be beaten, tased, or shot by the police, just cooperate. Don't be a dick about it. Just give them your ID and whatever information they ask for. I'm not saying this will allow you to survive 100% of the police encounters. But it will greatly increase your chances.
Because one is "obnoxious" doesn't give police the okay to harm that person. Since when is contempt of cop illegal?

The problem isn't rude people, the problem is not holding police accountable when they do wrong. And people like you making it about the manners of the person being stopped. Should we be polite to police? Of course. Should they be held accountable when they violate our rights? No doubt.

How many examples does one need of law enforcement over stepping their authority? Demanding proof of ID when they don't have a legal right to do so. Illegal patdowns when the situation doesn't warrant it. Illegal searches of vehicles and the accompanying threats if one doesn't comply to the illegal order.

That's the problem. It isn't the bad manners of the person being stopped. No one is responsible for the way another acts.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:05 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
That is unexpected and you would have reacted differently. Then police shows up - this is when you will go nuts!
That is when people who have no self-control go nuts.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yes I did. Which makes it better or worse? lol
I just went back and looked at it after seeing the pic of your receipts.

You can't withdraw more than a certain amount but you can get past that by doing what you did. The bank doesn't know the difference between purchasing 100 worth of items and adding on 100 to a purchase which is odd. You'd think there would be a flag that goes up on the account at a minimum or that the cash back from purchase would have a limit too.

You also missed the post where I said a flag did come up and I got a text message asking if I recognize the charges press 1 if yes press 2 if no to lock the account.

See if you can find that post instead of playing detective without doing any reading at all. If you're going to nitpick with the goal of saying I lied about it, at least get the details first instead of acting like you don't know how to read.

Quote:
That's the problem. It isn't the bad manners of the person being stopped. No one is responsible for the way another acts.
That's exactly my point. I don't know how the cops would act, which is why I'm always calm and cooperative to minimize the risk of those cops acting badly.

Last edited by MetroWord; 11-22-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That is when people who have no self-control go nuts.
Self control is very important, not just with police encounters. Personally, I don't have any respect for people who loses so easily.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you be fine with a search that violated the 4th Amendment, as you 'don't have anything to hide'?
Strangely that what many cops will say when someone rejects their request to a search..."why worry if you have nothing to hide".

People today are so gullible and easily fooled. I have seen 'its not worth the fight with police' over something like this fairly often in this thread, its easier and more convenient to just OBEY...Geez folks, Cmon, what kind of talk does that sound like? LOL

Its situations like this that make me believe even more that we need to be teaching our kids their individual rights when it comes to dealing with police and NOT TO JUST OBEY, anything and everything they tell you to do or ask of you.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Strangely that what many cops will say when someone rejects their request to a search..."why worry if you have nothing to hide".

People today are so gullible and easily fooled. I have seen 'its not worth the fight with police' over something like this fairly often in this thread, its easier and more convenient to just OBEY...Geez folks, Cmon, what kind of talk does that sound like? LOL

Its situations like this that make me believe even more that we need to be teaching our kids their individual rights when it comes to dealing with police and NOT TO JUST OBEY, anything and everything they tell you to do or ask of you.
Well, do you think it would have been worth the hassle for me to not show my ID? Because I'm sure the next step they would have taken was put me in handcuffs for suspicion of fraud. Was making some kind of statement worth the trouble of sitting in jail for he night and missing work the next morning?

Edit.

I think what's more important here is what would you have done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies