Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This says it all, folks.

I knew your original post had a negative tone towards blacks - I called it in my first post in this thread.
This is what you were trying to say all along.

And what, exactly, is a 'ghetto' attitude?
You've never taken the metra or public transit in the inner city have you?

No negative tone here. My point has always been if you are polite and calm, you increase the chances to clear up misunderstanding.

And even IFF certain people get more slack, it's because we as a group have earned it.

The OP was completely devoid of any mention of race. Other people interjected race into the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:46 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You've never taken the metra or public transit in the inner city have you?

No negative tone here. My point has always been if you are polite and calm, you increase the chances to clear up misunderstanding.

And even IFF certain people get more slack, it's because we as a group have earned it.

The OP was completely devoid of any mention of race. Other people interjected race into the discussion.
Wow... just wow.

Why did you make a point to say that you were not white in your OP?

Do not hide behind "I did not mention race' - no you were careful not to.

Your intention was clear.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow... just wow.

Why did you make a point to say that you were not white in your OP?

Do not hide behind "I did not mention race' - no you were careful not to.

Your intention was clear.
You're right. I did mention that.

My other major points remain. Be polite and cooperate. Not everything needs to be a statement.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
You're right. I did mention that.

My other major points remain. Be polite and cooperate. Not everything needs to be a statement.
Nobody said everything has to be a statement and everything isn't.

If you must obey the laws, why don't the police?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody said everything has to be a statement and everything isn't.

If you must obey the laws, why don't the police?
Some do and some don't. I'm not addressing that issue as that's another topic.

The topic here is how do we conduct ourselves when confronted by the police. Politely cooperate or be all confrontational about it?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Some do and some don't. I'm not addressing that issue as that's another topic.
No it isn't unless you are admitting the topic is really what people understand it is about.

Quote:
The topic here is how do we conduct ourselves when confronted by the police. Politely cooperate or be all confrontational about it?
It depends on what they are asking you to do and how forceful they are in asking.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it isn't unless you are admitting the topic is really what people understand it is about.

It depends on what they are asking you to do and how forceful they are in asking.
There are plenty of videos on youtube of people refusing to give the cops their state ID.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of videos on youtube of people refusing to give the cops their state ID.
Vague worthless generalization.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:31 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Fellow asian here and I'm calling BS on the bolded part. If you look at arrest rates, whites and blacks are comparable. If you look at convictions, blacks do get convicted more. An argument could be made that most whites have more access to legal resources, or are given the benefit of the doubt in the legal system that is not extended to black people.

Before you call me into question think about this: if you see a group of white and asian teenage boys walking through a neighborhood, do you think of them the same way as if you saw a group of black teenage boys?
According to FBI crime stats black people commit more than 50 percent of murders yet make up only about 13 percent of the population. And since the percent of male to females is about half that means about 6 percent of the population is committing half the murders. So when a cop pulls over a black man, especially in a city with a higher level of crime, they are going to be a little more on edge. And more cops are killed and assaulted by black men than white men.

But stats also show that more white people are killed by cops than black.
Can you name even 5 of the white people killed by cops? Didn't think so. It happens so infrequently to black people that we can remember their names.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
According to FBI crime stats black people commit more than 50 percent of murders yet make up only about 13 percent of the population. And since the percent of male to females is about half that means about 6 percent of the population is committing half the murders. So when a cop pulls over a black man, especially in a city with a higher level of crime, they are going to be a little more on edge. And more cops are killed and assaulted by black men than white men.

But stats also show that more white people are killed by cops than black.
Can you name even 5 of the white people killed by cops? Didn't think so. It happens so infrequently to black people that we can remember their names.
It's not strictly a black and white issue. It certainly leans in that direction but still, like every excuse, your has been covered over and over.

Blacks could commit 100% of the crimes and it wouldn't justify even one person Having their civil rights violated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies