Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:18 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
But that wouldn't get their YouTube video to go viral with them shrieking, "Police Brutality!"
Wow I didn't expect you to say such a thing. You never know huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This. None of their business but comes under "not worth the fight"

You were lucky they did not confiscate your money. Kudos to whatever police department for not being thieves.
In bold.
I think if not daily at least weekly we face a situation that fits the not worth the fight.
Everything from the jerk at work to road rage.
No one and I mean no one likes being pulled over by a cop. Anyone who says that it doesn't bother them are either delusional or lying. It's not that all cops are bad or even most. It's the WTF moment and the feeling of being scrutinized regardless of wrong doing.
Cop stops me I co-operate. Do I enjoy the exchange? Hell no. I would enjoy it even less if I have some place to be and I know for a fact that I did nothing wrong. I also hate the stares as people drive by.
I can't imagine what its like for black males who face it a lot more than I do. That said, briefing the cop won't end well and typically it's a fight you won't win.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Great fictional story!
Oh yeah, here is a picture of the receipts
Attached Thumbnails
An interesting experience I had with the local PD and Walmart... I survived-20171121_111416-large-.jpg  

Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This. None of their business but comes under "not worth the fight"

You were lucky they did not confiscate your money. Kudos to whatever police department for not being thieves.
Good point. OP is definitely lucky in that respect. Civil forfeiture practices need to change.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I always thought the OP was male.

But her experience would have been totally different, not a little different.

This puts a totally different spin on the OP's story. I knew I detected the subtle dig at black people in her post.

Disgusting.
Asian American male.

When did I mention race other than I'm not white?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:29 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Its really that simple.
That part is simple. Do as they say and no one gets hurt. The difficult part is deciding whether it's worth standing up for your rights or not. A population that just does anything they're told worries me.

In the OP's case, I don't think it's a major issue to create a scene over, so I would have done the same.

Similar mentality I have with taxes. Give the thief your wallet and live to fight other battles you can actually win down the road.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow I didn't expect you to say such a thing. You never know huh?
So, you're a fan of the drama-seeking morons that turn their phone on while they talk sass to a cop? Got it.

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
which civil rights were ceded by the OP?
The right to get into a needless violent confrontation with the police that might end in your demise. Lots of people exercise that right.

Walmart had the right to be suspicious. The credit card and pin might have been stolen and is one way they could try to clean someone out.

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Good for you.

My father had "the talk" with me about how to deal with police when I started driving at 15. I always treat them with the utmost respect and manners, I always put my hands at 10 & 2 on the wheel until given further instructions. I always cooperate with police.

I was wearing my US Air Force uniform when a North Carolina State Trooper pulled me over and told me that "military IDs come a dime a dozen" and decided to search my car with DEA agents and drug dogs.

I was with my girlfriend on my birthday going to meet my parents for dim sum in Chinatown DC when DC police pulled me over and pointed guns at my girlfriend and I because my Crown Victoria "fit the description" of a Crown Vic stolen from a fire department 10 miles away. They had my girlfriend and I sitting on the curb in the middle of downtown DC while they searched my car. The policeHUMILIATED me as people walked past us and instantly judged us as if I were some sort of thug or drug dealer.

Those are just a few of my stories. I have been held at gunpoint by police three times in my life, and I need two hands to count how many times I've had my car searched by police. I am nothing but polite and respectful to police, and yet somehow I always end up having guns pointed at me or having my car searched by DEA drug dogs.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I'm black?
You didn't need to mention that last line - we could have guessed. Of course living in DC is part of the problem. I assume you also know now that you do not have to consent to a search of your vehicle unless the cops can produce a warrant with probable cause - although doing this is often more trouble than it is worth.

As for OP he thinks because everything turned out well that his encounter is somehow indicative of all encounters with police. In some parts of the country the cops could have followed you into the parking lot and taken all you money from you (without charging you with any crime) due simply to the fact that they suspect that you were buying drugs - happy trails.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:33 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Asian American male.

When did I mention race other than I'm not white?
You did not, but I mentioned that if you were black male, your experience may have been different.

I had thought you were a female, from some of your past postings referring to your boyfriend. My mistake on that part.

I have little doubt that I, a white male, would equally have had a good experience with the police (or, so I hope). However, scams concerning these check out registers is well known.

Who knows? If a black male had provided the receipts and explanation that you did, he may also have escaped being shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies