Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I've always heard the saying, "dress for the job you want.
If you want to be treated like a Go, then dress like one. If you want to be treated respectfully, then dress yourself in a respectable manner.
For a man, if you don't want people to treat you like a thug, don't dress like a thug.
I'm a woman, but I think it's ridiculous that some women will put on a really low cut top and then complain that men are looking at their chest. Just stupid.
Excellent post. I used to work with a lady who dressed very inappropriately in an office. She was always revealing herself. For the most part, the guys avoided interacting with her personally. Funny thing is she complained when she noticed many were emailing her things that would be faster to explain in person, and they were just yards from her. I emailed her 99% of the time, and was about 25 yards away.

I also would generally exclude her from meetings, when possible.

I would have done the same with any guy who similarly dressed inappropriately.

No one would have harmed her or harassed her, but as you said well "Dress for the job you want". She didn't, and while she retained her job, there were promotions available she had the objective background for that she never stood a shot at, and I fully agree with management in essentially stagnating her in a low level role until she quit to work elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Excellent post. I used to work with a lady who dressed very inappropriately in an office. She was always revealing herself. For the most part, the guys avoided interacting with her personally. Funny thing is she complained when she noticed many were emailing her things that would be faster to explain in person, and they were just yards from her. I emailed her 99% of the time, and was about 25 yards away.

I also would generally exclude her from meetings, when possible.

I would have done the same with any guy who similarly dressed inappropriately.

No one would have harmed her or harassed her, but as you said well "Dress for the job you want". She didn't, and while she retained her job, there were promotions available she had the objective background for that she never stood a shot at, and I fully agree with management in essentially stagnating her in a low level role until she quit to work elsewhere.
Yet some women think these societal "rules" shouldn't apply to them. I can't for the life of me figure out where that mentality comes from.

Even my wife agrees. She has frequently stated that if these women want to be treated with respect then they need to dress in a way that will garner respect. The rest of us have to do it so it shouldn't be that difficult for them. You want to dress like a s***, expect to be treated like one. Simple.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yes...a well done steak is sacrilege and an insult to the one who has to cook it. Might as well dip it in ketchup!
Steak without CATSUP is like climbing Mt Everest only to reach the top blind.

Damn boy.....

I was on embassy row in Minsk at a restaurant and for breakfast I ordered scrambled eggs and asked for catsup. You'd think I had crapped on the floor or something. Waitress looked like she was going to slap me.

Snobs.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:53 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post

Do women objectify themselves when they wear short skirts, high heels, tight blouses etc?
Men who are going to abuse women will do it regardless. Wearing burkas doesn't prevent women in the middle east from being raped and abused.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Threats like this are the reason we need women studies in our universities. People really don’t know the difference between pride in personal appearance and wanting to be a sex object.
You mean classes that teach young people that women are superior, strong, empowered grrrl power azzkickers that "don't need no man" , while at the same time being perpetually oppressed helpless victims of the patriarchy who just can;t overcome such oppression without men stepping in and taking responsibility for the well being of women?

I better tell my owns-her-own successful business wife about that. I'll just have to catch that helpless, oppressed waif between her Krav Maga classes she attends as well as the Women's Self Defesne classes she teaches on the side.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why do you feel the need to ogle them? Have you never seen boobs before?
Considering the typical american woman, he probably haven't seen any attractive ones, so of course it may catch him off guard

Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I actually agree that some of these "sexual harassment" claims are going a bit overboard.. Even the "he tried to kiss" me claim. As long as when you pull away and say no they leave it at that, I am ok with that. I understand that a man can misread a situation and think a kiss may be welcomed when its not.
I also think that sexual assault and sexual harassment are being lumped together, which is a very bad thing, in my opinion.
I wish MORE women had your perspective on this issue

Old 11-23-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree. I have never been offended at an innocent proposal. Not even some indecent ones.
There is a difference though in the approach and well everything. In my younger years I have been approached, offered pie, by gentlemen whom I have declined gracefully and I have been approached and offered pie by quite the opposite in which case I almost felt violated. Sometimes I think you gentlemen dont really know that difference because you have never experienced that creepy pie.
Nevertheless it should not matter what I am wearing. shorts or a low cut top or being gussied up is not an open for business sign.

Sorry that happened to you. Kudos for rising above that nonsense and having an excellent perspective on things!! Much respect!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A rude comment is just rude. It's entirely possible to compliment a woman on her looks without being rude about it. I'm an old guy, years past my stud muffin days, but still get smiles from young women when I compliment their looks. Just last week I met with one of my financial people. She was in her 20s when I met her about 10 years ago. We had a direct and productive meeting. As I was leaving, I took her hand, looked into her eyes, and said, "You are better looking now than you were when we met 10 years ago. You wear your maturity well." I'm sure the smile I got was genuine. Different phrasing could easily have been offensive. If your opening phrase is, "Nice ****," you are just a jerk.

Were you wearing a fedora when you said that? I'm pretty sure if you WERE in your "stud-muffin" days, there's a real chance she may have taken that the wrong way, even though you meant it in a classy way. Older guys seem to get the benefit of the doubt as opposed to younger guys.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:43 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Steak without CATSUP is like climbing Mt Everest only to reach the top blind.

Damn boy.....

I was on embassy row in Minsk at a restaurant and for breakfast I ordered scrambled eggs and asked for catsup. You'd think I had crapped on the floor or something. Waitress looked like she was going to slap me.

Snobs.
I can understand catsup/ketchup with eggs. I personally wouldn't eat that but it's much more forgivable than putting it on a well cooked steak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies