Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
71% of births in Iceland are to single mothers and it is one of the safest places in the world.

It also operates within a strong Nordic system of social welfare yet it has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world.

The poorest countries, with no safety net/ welfare, have the highest fertility rates.
I always find the blame on single mothers baffling...

I think people who do that have loved Little House on the Prairie too much. I don't think unruly children will be cured by their pops taking them out fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Bad parenting.
Yup!!!Parents need to be held accountable.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its the liberal mentality...the kids are so perfect, deserve a medal for everything, its ok for them to standup and refuse their free education, we will give them a diploma anyway...

oh and then they DESERVE a free college too
No. It's not liberals. Don't start that again.

I'm liberal and I had to be a teacher of kids like this. I am 100% opposed to all this silly helicopter parenting and spoiling of kids. Maybe I should just blame it on conservatives?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
In South Carolina, teachers can carry guns. Might be the last thing you ever do ...if you threaten Miss Pringle!
If you need a gun to handle a 1st grader than you probably shouldn't be handling a gun or kids

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Wrong. I taught school in a 100% white middle class/lower middle class small town and the teachers endured verbal abuse all day long. One teacher finally yelled at a kid to sit down--the kid was jumping up from his desk, ready to attack her. Turns out the father was a cop and he got the teacher fired.

We had knives in school and maybe guns too. I don't think anyone was on welfare. What they needed was strict parenting and if the parents wouldn't do it, then the teachers should have been allowed to.
How did he get the teacher fired? I thought the teachers unions were pretty strong there.

But I agree, the first few posts were disgusting in their assumptions. It isn’t about race. It’s about kids not respecting authority anymore, and it’s not limited to race. I also heard they discourage real punishment these days.

What used to get a kid suspended now gets them in school suspension, but they still get to turn in their work and get full credit for it. When I was younger, a suspension meant you got zeros in all your classes and it was counted as unexcused absences. When you got more than five unexcused absences in a class in a semester you automatically failed the semester, no matter how well you did on tests or class work. It was a pretty effective deterrent.

Plus, we got a choice between detentions or swats, at least the guys did anyway. At our school you could only choose swats if there was a teacher of your sex that would do it. No female teachers did it, so us girls didn’t get the choice. Believe it or not, many or most guys would take the swats over losing credit or having to go to a detention.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But an "educated" populace benefitsall of us!

Public education isn't perfect, but it definitely prevents a far worse reality.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/480775...th-famadihana/

Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

I think people who do that have loved Little House on the Prairie too much. I don't think unruly children will be cured by their pops taking them out fishing.
Other than study after study from all sides shows that children who grow up in two parent households have better outcomes across the board. From school completion to lower poverty rates to lower teen pregnancy rates to lower incarceration rates.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How did he get the teacher fired? I thought the teachers unions were pretty strong there.

But I agree, the first few posts were disgusting in their assumptions. It isn’t about race. It’s about kids not respecting authority anymore, and it’s not limited to race. I also heard they discourage real punishment these days. What used to get a kid suspended now gets them in school suspension, but they still get to turn in their work and get full credit for it. When I was younger, a suspension meant you got zeros in all your classes and it was counted as unexcused absences. When you got more than five unexcused absences in a class in a semester you automatically failed the semester, no matter how well you did on tests or class work. It was a pretty effective deterrent. Plus, we got a choice between detentions or swats, at least the guys did anyway. At our school you could only choose swats if there was a teacher of your sex that would do it. No female teachers did it, so us girls didn’t get the choice. Believe it or not, many or most guys would take the swats over losing credit or having to go to a detention.
All he did was keep complaining to the principal and the school administration and threatening a lawsuit.

Schools are just as bad around here as anywhere else when it comes to kids being able to walk all over teachers. The school administration is scared of the parents and always side with them against teachers. Teaching is one of the worst jobs there is.

I was even told by the principal that I wasn't allowed to talk about school "discipline"--it had to be called "classroom management." Yeh, well it's the teachers who are out there on the front line. It was our lives that were in danger while we were alone in a classroom of 25 kids. The principal gets to sit in the office--and makes a lot of money. Don't even let anyone you care about become a teacher.

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

Of course having two parents in the home is better than one as long as they’re not abusive. Studies have shown that over and over again. My objection to the stigma is the women are the ones getting all the fingers pointed at them. What about the fathers who won’t take responsibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Other than study after study from all sides shows that children who grow up in two parent households have better outcomes across the board. From school completion to lower poverty rates to lower teen pregnancy rates to lower incarceration rates.
It has nothing to do with the fact that there is a man and a woman in the house, and everything to do with the correlation of married parents and the family having its together.

Married people generally are better off than singles in most metrics, so of course a kid would be better off in the married household on average.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-22-2017 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies