Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:15 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times

Advertisements

The right's gone wrong and it can't even claim the appearance of moral superiority anymore. I don't know when they stopped trying, but, now, that realization has hit me dead in the eyes.

Senator Flake is correct, the GOP is toast.

RIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up.

On the other hand, watching the GOP implode is great entertainment.

If Moore wins, the GOP loses.

If Jones wins, the GOP loses.

If Stuart Smiley is the D candidate in 2020, we all lose.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:31 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have heard people saying that Roy Moore, if he wins the election, should be seated as a Senator, allowed to vote on the tax reform bill, and then expelled as unworthy of further service.

Have we really become so divided, so deeply, horribly cynical, that this seems like a good idea to anyone? The man is either worthy of the role of Senator or he is not. If he is guilty, he has no place in government. If he is innocent, he should not be treated as a tool with which to achieve an end, and then discarded without a thought.

I know what I think of him, my issue is primarily with people who think he is guilty as sin, but would still treat him as a useful idiot, sacrificing any claim to the moral high ground in the process.
Yep, that thought is stomach turning.

what you are witnessing is politics as typically practiced, but never allowed to be seen.

The media let Obama get away with suppressing bad news that would hurt his chance at re-election. Not the same as sexual misconduct but more grievous. Same set of ethics allows both situations.

Disappointed hearing the election of moore framed this way by the current admin.

That said, very disturbing is the conviction of Moore without a trial. Maybe he is guilty but our legal system considers him innocent until proven guilty. This smacks of tawana brawley and the Duke lacrosse team and crooked prosecutor Nifong and the idiot Baltimore prosecutor.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Couldn't be any more disgusted with this country. Here we are in a position that the White House has come out in support of a pedophile, a predator who used to hang around shopping malls bothering women and has multiple accusations against him. The country has hit a new low.
You are dealing with people who think that North Eastern liberal Democrats are the greatest threat known to humanity. Living in a bubble of Rush Limbaugh and Fox News makes you think stupid things like this.

When you've demonized people in such a manner for so long, in your sick twisted half wit mind, even a disgusting pedophile seems like a better choice.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Yep, that thought is stomach turning.

what you are witnessing is politics as typically practiced, but never allowed to be seen.

The media let Obama get away with suppressing bad news that would hurt his chance at re-election. Not the same as sexual misconduct but more grievous. Same set of ethics allows both situations.

Disappointed hearing the election of moore framed this way by the current admin.

That said, very disturbing is the conviction of Moore without a trial. Maybe he is guilty but our legal system considers him innocent until proven guilty. This smacks of tawana brawley and the Duke lacrosse team and crooked prosecutor Nifong and the idiot Baltimore prosecutor.
You smack of a person with partisan agenda or seriously questionable reasoning abilities.

Those 2 cases were uncorroborated accusations by one person. The Moore thing is multiple accusers with multiple corroborating narratives, and supporting side stories like mall personnel impugning his character..

The intellectual and moral yoga you are doing to justify your partisan agenda is pretty sick.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
If Stuart Smiley is the D candidate in 2020, we all lose.

"If" is the biggest word in the English language.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The right's gone wrong and it can't even claim the appearance of moral superiority anymore. I don't know when they stopped trying, but, now, that realization has hit me dead in the eyes.

Senator Flake is correct, the GOP is toast.

RIP
If it's the GOP that Flake imagines then good. That's good for everyone. Now if we can only get the Dems to admit that they are a failed party as well we'd be in good shape.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
"If" is the biggest word in the English language.
Hit it, Rudyard!

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
The comical part of this thread is the same group here building the gallows for Roy Moore are the same individuals that discounted any and all allegations from the more than dozen women that accused Bill Clinton of rape. What a despicable group.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have heard people saying that Roy Moore, if he wins the election, should be seated as a Senator, allowed to vote on the tax reform bill, and then expelled as unworthy of further service.

Have we really become so divided, so deeply, horribly cynical, that this seems like a good idea to anyone? The man is either worthy of the role of Senator or he is not. If he is guilty, he has no place in government. If he is innocent, he should not be treated as a tool with which to achieve an end, and then discarded without a thought.

I know what I think of him, my issue is primarily with people who think he is guilty as sin, but would still treat him as a useful idiot, sacrificing any claim to the moral high ground in the process.
It is a morally corrupt idea to use a pedofile to advance a political agenda. Of course such ideas come naturally to Donald Trump, and his admin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies