Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:29 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,533,635 times

Advertisements

I have heard people saying that Roy Moore, if he wins the election, should be seated as a Senator, allowed to vote on the tax reform bill, and then expelled as unworthy of further service.

Have we really become so divided, so deeply, horribly cynical, that this seems like a good idea to anyone? The man is either worthy of the role of Senator or he is not. If he is guilty, he has no place in government. If he is innocent, he should not be treated as a tool with which to achieve an end, and then discarded without a thought.

I know what I think of him, my issue is primarily with people who think he is guilty as sin, but would still treat him as a useful idiot, sacrificing any claim to the moral high ground in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 AM

18,399 posts, read 6,999,171 times
I don't know why you'd have a problem with it.

Seeing the last presidential election was pretty much the same thing on both sides.

Both sides of the political spectrum have gotten so far to the extreme that pretty much everyone puts ideology above the integrity of any one political candidate.

No candidate is above being used to the advantage of the party, whether it means they are undeservedly idolized or demonized.

Anything that moves the agenda forward is justifiable.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,847,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Anything that moves the agenda forward is justifiable.
All of the multitude of lies and corruption to get Obamacare passed was a great example. No party is exempt from win at all costs but (to me) Dems play the game much better.

I would vote for Moore. He's not been convicted of anything and having him in office for Alabama is better than having a Liberal who could throw off the current balance. 40 year old allegations don't cut it.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:17 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,460,365 times
Here's what bothers me about the whole thing with Moore.

Why did the accuser wait until now? Why not ruin his previous career? I get its Alabama and all... but come on... 30yr old having a relationship with a kid???

Another thing that bothers me.
Why are our tax dollars paying the victims? Why can't politicians pay for their sins?
If you sexually harass or assault someone, you pay for it with time in jail and with money if damages are sought. Are politicians, regardless of political affiliation, held to lower standards? It certainly seems so... should not be tax dollars paying out investigations or for damages...

Should be at the cost of the politician in question no different than it is for any of us. Period.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,480,863 times
Let me bring a quote. “Let me tell you. If Jesus Christ gets down off the cross and told me Trump is with Russia, I would tell him, ‘Hold on a second, I need to check with the president if it’s true,’” Lee said.

That idiot votes and it counts.

Anything that advances either GOP or Dem extremist agendas is okay. On both sides, there are enough kooks, that normal is no longer normal.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 AM

10,489 posts, read 6,099,322 times
Couldn't be any more disgusted with this country. Here we are in a position that the White House has come out in support of a pedophile, a predator who used to hang around shopping malls bothering women and has multiple accusations against him. The country has hit a new low.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:22 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,444,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have heard people saying that Roy Moore, if he wins the election, should be seated as a Senator, allowed to vote on the tax reform bill, and then expelled as unworthy of further service.

Have we really become so divided, so deeply, horribly cynical, that this seems like a good idea to anyone? The man is either worthy of the role of Senator or he is not. If he is guilty, he has no place in government. If he is innocent, he should not be treated as a tool with which to achieve an end, and then discarded without a thought.

I know what I think of him, my issue is primarily with people who think he is guilty as sin, but would still treat him as a useful idiot, sacrificing any claim to the moral high ground in the process.
GQ said you should ruin Thanksgiving if any of your relatives support Trump.

Yes, some people yearn to divide us further.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,426,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Couldn't be any more disgusted with this country. Here we are in a position that the White House has come out in support of a pedophile, a predator who used to hang around shopping malls bothering women and has multiple accusations against him. The country has hit a new low.
When was he convicted of such things?

Pedophile is also the wrong term, Moore is NOT a pedophile, its amazing to me how so many people throw that word around when it doesnt apply.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:49 AM

15,574 posts, read 10,286,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Winning seems to trump decency these days and that choice is a horrible turn in our collective morality. Moore should not be elected as the charges against him are very credible. If he does, it will be bad for republicans.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 AM

18,399 posts, read 6,999,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Winning seems to trump decency these days and that choice is a horrible turn in our collective morality. Moore should not be elected as the charges against him are very credible. If he does, it will be bad for republicans.
I don't know that I'd call waiting 30+ years to make accusations when he just happens to be running for an important Senate seat "credible".

But it's good to know that you and so many others are complicit with the new norm of guilty until proven innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies