Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 AM

80 posts, read 84,585 times

Advertisements

I never thought of it before living abroad for years and years, but the US "two party" system is in some ways almost as curious (and paradoxical) as many "one party democracies" on the African continent.

Why haven't more parties been established (or why have the few that have tried been ignored), along the lines with many European democracies?

Looking at it from over here (Euroland), it seems like there's a huge swath of the electorate that doesn't really identify with either current party, at least not in it's traditional platform. Bernie was too liberal for the democrats, Trump too outré for the republicans. Seems there's a bunch of people looking for something other than what's being offered.

Any ideas as to why things evolved so differently in the USA compared to Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:15 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I believe England mainly was a two-party country for many years.

I always enjoy reading Charles Dickens writing about the two-party system in Pickwick Papers. Here is an excerpt for your enjoyment (talking about Mr. Pickwick going to a small town, Eatanswill, to observe an election):

"It appears, then, that the Eatanswill people, like the people of many other small towns, considered themselves of the utmost and most mighty importance, and that every man in Eatanswill, conscious of the weight that attached to his example, felt himself bound to unite, heart and soul, with one of the two great parties that divided the town—the Blues and the Buffs.

Now the Blues lost no opportunity of opposing the Buffs, and the Buffs lost no opportunity of opposing the Blues; and the consequence was, that whenever the Buffs and Blues met together at public meeting, town–hall, fair, or market, disputes and high words arose between them. With these dissensions it is almost superfluous to say that everything in Eatanswill was made a party question. If the Buffs proposed to new skylight the market–place, the Blues got up public meetings, and denounced the proceeding; if the Blues proposed the erection of an additional pump in the High Street, the Buffs rose as one man and stood aghast at the enormity. There were Blue shops and Buff shops, Blue inns and Buff inns—there was a Blue aisle and a Buff aisle in the very church itself.

Of course it was essentially and indispensably necessary that each of these powerful parties should have its chosen organ and representative: and, accordingly, there were two newspapers in the town—the Eatanswill Gazette and the Eatanswill Independent; the former advocating Blue principles, and the latter conducted on grounds decidedly Buff.

Fine newspapers they were. Such leading articles, and such spirited attacks!—‘Our worthless contemporary, the Gazette’—‘That disgraceful and dastardly journal, the Independent’—‘That false and scurrilous print, the Independent’—‘That vile and slanderous calumniator, the Gazette;’ these, and other spirit–stirring denunciations, were strewn plentifully over the columns of each, in every number, and excited feelings of the most intense delight and indignation in the bosoms of the townspeople."

I have frequently cited this passage in previous threads when applicable, especially when it is obvious that either the Democrats or the Republicans were opposing something proposed by the opposite party, just for the sake of opposing.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
It's simple arithmetic. The electoral college system, which requires a vote of 50% plus one to elect a president, nearly forces a two-party system. Yes, lower offices can be elected with less than 50% of the vote, but the presidency can't - a president who gets less than 50% of the popular vote still must get 50% plus one of the electoral vote, and it's the electoral vote that counts. This effect cascades downwards.

In Great Britain and similar democracies, multiple parties can act as a coalition to elect a prime minister. But that prime minister's administration will fall apart if the government runs into a crisis that shatters the coalition. This can put a prime minister into a politically shaky position in a crisis, right when a government needs to be the strongest. The founders wrote the Constitution to form "a more perfect union", i.e. one that established a stronger federal government than did the Articles of Confederation. And they thought that a majority-vote president was part of ensuring that stronger federal administration.

If you look closely at the Ds and Rs, you can see that each is actually a coalition (more or less) united under a single banner. In a multi-party system, these internal factions would likely not hold together as a single party.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-22-2017 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 07:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
World history shows us that political parties come and go, they change depending on the times. We are seeing that change start to happen right now.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:44 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
There is no two party system. We have two parties that have hijacked the system. And the presidential nominee does not have to get 50% of the vote or 50% of the electors. It simply goes to a vote among representatives of each state.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 131,076 times
We have more than two parties. The problem lies with the people, and their inability to do any meaningful research.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
There is no two party system. We have two parties that have hijacked the system. And the presidential nominee does not have to get 50% of the vote or 50% of the electors. It simply goes to a vote among representatives of each state.
So true. 2 heads on the same beast. It really doesn't matter which head you feed, the beast will thrive. The good cop bad cop routine they pull is so transparent and yet the suckers buy into it.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So true. 2 heads on the same beast. It really doesn't matter which head you feed, the beast will thrive. The good cop bad cop routine they pull is so transparent and yet the suckers buy into it.
I refuse to vote for an D or R candidate. I get flack from democrats and republicans saying I am helping the other side. Its hard to reason with people who are brainwashed.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I refuse to vote for an D or R candidate. I get flack from democrats and republicans saying I am helping the other side. Its hard to reason with people who are brainwashed.
Me too. Even on here you see people accuse others of helping Trump win by voting 3rd party or a write in.
Ill vote D or R if they put someone up who is worthy of a vote.
Sanders or Hillary? Daaaaamn.
Trump or Cruz>. Daaaamn.
Trump or Hillary? WTF.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
The US is governed by a corrupt duopoly controlled by special interests in cahoots with the mainstream media, which acts as their auxiliary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies