Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Democrats are the party of the Ku Klux Klan
If the Democratic Party are "the party of the Ku Klux Klan," how did they happen to nominate Roman Catholic Al Smith for President in 1928?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 02:01 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Black folks always voted Republican until the Republican party embraced segregation and Jim Crow and all the violence that came with them.

Lincoln was once the person who represented his party to the black man. All that changed forever when Republicans began wearing white hoods.
Republicans want to have it both ways: they want to be the Party of Lincoln, but with the voters of Jefferson Davis. They want to be the party of individual freedom and free speech, yet want to condemn black athletes for protesting.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:55 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I'll vote for whomever I want. My vote, my business. Either way, no matter who is in charge, Democrat or Republican, Black Americans do worse than everyone in the USA, in terms of crime, education, health, and other factors. This is also taking into account that there has been progress in the Black American population since the 1960s. Even with that progress, Black Americans are still at the bottom in many categories. It does not matter who is in charge.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll vote for whomever I want. My vote, my business. Either way, no matter who is in charge, Democrat or Republican, Black Americans do worse than everyone in the USA, in terms of crime, education, health, and other factors. This is also taking into account that there has been progress in the Black American population since the 1960s. Even with that progress, Black Americans are still at the bottom in many categories. It does not matter who is in charge.
It's about the policy of the welfare state.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's about the policy of the welfare state.
Blacks were doing even worse economically before the welfare state. Blacks have always been at the bottom, before the establishment of the "welfare state". More Blacks today are in the middle class than before the "welfare state".

Old 11-23-2017, 11:06 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The black voters must be very content with the results in their lives of the policies enacted by Dem politicians nationally and locally. If not, 90 percent of blacks wouldn't vote for 'em. No other racial group votes in lockstep.
I hope one day we embrace all americans without being black or white as a defining point. Why does color matter when we are all americans.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The black voters must be very content with the results in their lives of the policies enacted by Dem politicians nationally and locally. If not, 90 percent of blacks wouldn't vote for 'em. No other racial group votes in lockstep.
It seems a little strange to many that certain people are always thinking about black folks like this. But to add to your statement, we are satisfied, but I'm pretty happy with my life in particular. And all American minorities vote in majorities agains the GOP. Black folks do this at a higher percentage because we've been here the longest and we know the conservative American platform very well. We've been fighting the racism from this part of our society for many, many years...

Old 11-24-2017, 01:23 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I expected that response, but it's disingenuous and shows ignorance of history and the reality on the ground. In reality, blacks were overwhelmingly voting Dem ever since the New Deal. This includes when the Dem party openly embraced segregation and Jim Crow, and all of the violence that came with that.
Weren’t those same democrats the ones who switched to the Republican Party in the years after civil rights act was passed?

Old 11-24-2017, 01:39 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
It is simple. And, hence, the purpose of my thread. The Hatians' biggest congressional backers were in the Congressional Black Causus, which lobbied big time the Obama administration on behalf of the Hatians. But the CBC is OVERWHELMING Democrat (I think Mia Love of Utah is the only non democrat member...I don't think Tim Scott ever formally joined) and their influence with a GOP administration is not as great. So long as Democrats control government, then there is no problem. But, given that one party rule is far from a sure thing, it would make sense to put your eggs into more than one basket, politically speaking. And, as I mentioned previously, blacks share more than a few policy positions with the GOP generally speaking.
Some Haitians specifically backed Trump, as he promised to be their biggest champion. Clearly that was false. I would not have believed him personally. But now the GOP can count on losing support from some of the foreign/recent black population. Smaller group but every vote counts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc...s-haitians/amp

Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
This is ignorance at its finest. Blacks wholesale embraced the Dem Party immediately following the New Deal, when racist, southern white Democrats still had a hold on that party. Stop arguing with fact.
That has nothing to do with Haitians in the U.S. most of whom are recent. The problem with far too many in the GOP and even some in the Democratic parry is that they look at people of African origin as monolithic.

And I can say for sure that the GOP turns off those who are newer to the country, who are actually more conservative. Speaking for many who I know, including my own family. They need to do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies