Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should employers be allowed to check potential employees credit?
Yes. 71 42.01%
No. 90 53.25%
Indifferent/No Answer. 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Please provide a link that verifies that asking to see a credit report is illegal.
I’ll try. In PR on my phone- I have reset 3 times as internet is terrible - but it’s under “use if credit info legislation “ if you google it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 10:56 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
When I purchased a new Honda in 2011, the local dealership left my application, and hundreds of others, in an area that was accessible to employees. An employee retrieved that information and sold it to a local criminal network, resulting in dozens and dozens of cases of identify theft, including mine.

If we allow employers to access our credit history, we have every expectation that that information should be secured.
I wholeheartedly agree. Credit information should be treated like any other personal information (address, date of birth, etc.).

Old 11-25-2017, 11:18 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quite a few years ago my sister's husband applied for a job in accounts receivable. He's a likable guy who is easy to work with. He's very loyal and will work his butt off to do well for himself and the company he works for. He had experience and a good set of references.

He was tentatively hired for this job that would have done wonders for his family and their financial situation not to mention his career. Oh but wait, tentative hire based on a credit check. Because of the credit check he wasn't hired. No matter he was totally qualified for the job and would have been asset to the employer - whatever that piece of paper said made them automatically deny this guy a job.

Its not right and it should not be legal.
Why does he have bad credit?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Quite a few years ago my sister's husband applied for a job in accounts receivable. He's a likable guy who is easy to work with. He's very loyal and will work his butt off to do well for himself and the company he works for. He had experience and a good set of references.

He was tentatively hired for this job that would have done wonders for his family and their financial situation not to mention his career. Oh but wait, tentative hire based on a credit check. Because of the credit check he wasn't hired. No matter he was totally qualified for the job and would have been asset to the employer - whatever that piece of paper said made them automatically deny this guy a job.

That's really messed up.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:

In this case, it's possibly the employer's loss. But we should defend their right to choose to spend their money as they see fit... in the same we we should defend our right to spend out money as we see fit.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Medical expenses. When my daughter was 22 she was hospitalized and racked up tens of thousands of dollars for which her health insurance did not pay. She was making $10/hour at the time.

Her hospital debt went to a collection agency. Payment plan? They wanted half her weekly salary which would have amounted to less than minimum wage. The Collection Agency called her constantly and threatened her; indirectly with physical violence. Totally ILLEGAL. Somehow they got my phone number and called me. Can't get the money from young ADULT, go after a Parent with more money? I don't think so. Don't you DARE call and threaten me or your agency will be hearing from my attorney. Click.

It went to court. Her salary was garansheed but only for a small percentage weekly; not less than minimum wage. It took 15 years for her to pay it off. Yep, wrecked her credit scores, BUT it never affected any of her future jobs which ran credit checks on her.

She works in Retail Loss Prevention. Did she steal from any store she worked at? No. Apparently, with the Credit Checks she had to go through for jobs, Medical Debt was not the same as actually Criminal Stealing.

I have worked in Public Schools and for Agencies for the MR/DD Disabled. No Check Credits, but Criminal Background Checks and Fingerprinting. Would you want to hire an employee who had physically abused children or the disabled? Tell me which is worse? Bad Credit Check or the Criminal Abuse of a Child or Mentally Disabled? $$$$ means nothing in comparison.
Good post here and I'm so glad things worked out for your daughter.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are no illegal questions. I can ask anything - even age. Horrors!
There are some prohibited questions before an offer is made under the ADA.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
How am I irresponsible- if my hubby is an idiot -has an affair -takes the all money in the savings and runs off with the hussie to Mexico —and now I have a Mtg, 3 kids and a fair paying job - so I get a 2nd pt job /but bills are very late by now —-I’m not the responsible party!! Can you not see how this could happen??
Yes you are. You chose him and the consequences are yours. It's true that in any marriage it only takes one of you to make both of you broke and ruin the credit for both.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:39 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
I’ll try. In PR on my phone- I have reset 3 times as internet is terrible - but it’s under “use if credit info legislation “ if you google it
Spend a little time reviewing the website. Nothing prohibits a potential employee from voluntarily providing credit information about themselves.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
How am I irresponsible- if my hubby is an idiot -has an affair -takes the all money in the savings and runs off with the hussie to Mexico —and now I have a Mtg, 3 kids and a fair paying job - so I get a 2nd pt job /but bills are very late by now —-I’m not the responsible party!! Can you not see how this could happen??
This happened because you trusted an irresponsible person with your life. That makes you an irresponsible person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies