Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Why not hunt with a pistol? Maybe because most people cannot hit a broom closet with a pistol if they were locked inside. Pistols are also for self defense at very close range generally measured in a low number of feet. Hitting a 1 ft. target at 100 ft. is really difficult. That is about the size of the kill zone on a deer and about as close as a person is likely to get. Hitting that same size target at three times the distance is not very difficult with a rifle even with iron sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Hope this guy gets hammered by the law, his stupidity cost a man his beloved wife.

Other articles mention that he shot her 40 minutes after sunset, and it is illegal to hunt deer in New York after sunset.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/24/hunter...s-a-deer-cops/
Manslaughter conviction along with at least 15 years in prison, is my guess.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Why is it not a good idea?
Should be obvious by now...

Old 11-30-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Manslaughter conviction along with at least 15 years in prison, is my guess.
You usually nail it, but not this time. Unless the late woman's next of kin have the wherewithal to get Johnny Cochran exhumed and Resurrected so they can file the Mother of All Wrongful Death litigations, this will go down as just one more instance of the collateral damage accumulation due to America's entrenched handgun infatuation.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:11 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You usually nail it, but not this time. Unless the late woman's next of kin have the wherewithal to get Johnny Cochran exhumed and Resurrected so they can file the Mother of All Wrongful Death litigations, this will go down as just one more instance of the collateral damage accumulation due to America's entrenched handgun infatuation.
Fish and wildlife will view this as poaching so there will be a whole lot extra going on here.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
How can one mistake a person for a deer? Why the hell would someone just point to a rustling bush and shoot? I have always stated that if I get shot while hunting, it is not an accident. I'm sorry but this guy is an idiot and needs the book thrown at him as that was just sheer stupidity and makes the rest of us look bad.
I come from a family of avid hunters. My dad, and now my brothers, only bow hunt. They live in NY state, and growing up would explain their reasoning: gun hunters, many of them city folks from the NYC area, would shoot at any bush that moved. That was 30+ years ago. Yes, they do just point a a bush that moves. Yes, they are idiots.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:17 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I come from a family of avid hunters. My dad, and now my brothers, only bow hunt. They live in NY state, and growing up would explain their reasoning: gun hunters, many of them city folks from the NYC area, would shoot at any bush that moved. That was 30+ years ago. Yes, they do just point a a bush that moves. Yes, they are idiots.
This guy probably saw the dogs eyes in the light and made a very poor judgement. Animal eyes are like lanterns in headlights.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Only in America.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:21 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The term is cityiots. One shot a donkey thinking it was a deer. I'm not joking. Cityiots. They were NYs version of Florida man...

Old 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Recently over here in Oregon a guy shot his own daughter while he was out hunting with her. I said to my wife, "neither of us would have come back home if that were me". I'm serious. I would have killed myself on the spot if I did something as wrong as taking another persons life due to stupidity on my part. I would NOT expect my wife to understand, forgive or in anyway forget a tragedy of that magnitude. In some cultures a guy like this would be expected to take his own life. There would not be any shame in that. The shame would be in trying to put it behind you and go on. Society should shun him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies