Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 AM

30,389 posts, read 21,210,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Why?
You got moron drug dealers using them, lazy bums for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
I dont buy the video. It reeks of fake.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:20 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I dont buy the video. It reeks of fake.

Not fake, but purposely done by the woman in order to make a point, from what I have read.

The young lady in question purchased two expiring lobster tails for a total of $13.98 (at $6.99 per pound; usually $37.29 per pound). She does not, as she explained, do this on anything like a regular basis to feed her dog.

Apparently, she was making the video to make some point about EBT users being able to purchase even expiring lobster meat, and she also complained (to the poor cashier) about "Obama Phones" and other things. She then went home, complained some more on video, fed her dog, and then put the videos online. From one article:

"The woman claims that she conducted the entire lobster-buying experiment in order to film it for a YouTube video."

https://www.inquisitr.com/4623424/wo...twitter-video/

As for the poster that claimed that people on disability (as this woman is) are reviewed for medical improvement every three years: I can vouch from my 30 years of working for ODAR (Office of Adjudication and Review; previously the Office of Hearing and Appeals) as a decision writer on behalf of the judges that hear disability cases, that such is not the case. Very young people tend to be reviewed every few years, but after about age 30, the reviews become less regular, and by age 50 (perhaps even younger) they all but stop. We (including the state DDS agencies) are so overwhelmed by new applications for disability that there is little in the way of resources or time to conduct cessation reviews.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
I heard that people in the ghetto are using food stamps to buy new rims for their Escalades.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 AM

20,088 posts, read 8,995,406 times
sounds like small government conservatives here want to start a national food buyer police agency. how silly

Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Not fake, but purposely done by the woman in order to make a point, from what I have read.

The young lady in question purchased two expiring lobster tails for a total of $13.98 (at $6.99 per pound; usually $37.29 per pound). She does not, as she explained, do this on anything like a regular basis to feed her dog.

Apparently, she was making the video to make some point about EBT users being able to purchase even expiring lobster meat, and she also complained (to the poor cashier) about "Obama Phones" and other things. She then went home, complained some more on video, fed her dog, and then put the videos online. From one article:

"The woman claims that she conducted the entire lobster-buying experiment in order to film it for a YouTube video."

https://www.inquisitr.com/4623424/wo...twitter-video/

As for the poster that claimed that people on disability (as this woman is) are reviewed for medical improvement every three years: I can vouch from my 30 years of working for ODAR (Office of Adjudication and Review; previously the Office of Hearing and Appeals) as a decision writer on behalf of the judges that hear disability cases, that such is not the case. Very young people tend to be reviewed every few years, but after about age 30, the reviews become less regular, and by age 50 (perhaps even younger) they all but stop. We (including the state DDS agencies) are so overwhelmed by new applications for disability that there is little in the way of resources or time to conduct cessation reviews.
How do you define fake? Was there an actual video? Sure, and in that sense, it was real. It was also very dishonest.

I don't know if you actually watched the original video, but she talked about buying live lobster, which she clearly did not, unless some obscure technology has been discovered that enables the re-animation of the tails. This may seem like a small detail, but it makes me question her honesty about the entire project, as well as her motivation for making it.

Also, a smartphone? Really? You can get a smartphone for under $50. It won't be the latest thing, but it's still a smartphone. As for three "Obama phones," she might own three, if she lied about the first two getting lost or broken, but only one will work, unless she has switched the others to new phone numbers and pays for the time herself.

Last of all, Coach keychains? Whatever, you can get fake Coach merchandise anywhere, it's common as cat dirt.

As for it being an experiment, it was not. It was a rant. She claims to be a welfare recipient, bragging about what she is able to get for free, at the expense of others, but it sounded a lot more to me like the work of a person who wants the whole thing shut down.

I did see the receipt, and it was clear that the purchase was made with food stamps, but, particularly given all of the talk about fraud on this thread, has it not occurred to anyone that she may have paid someone to let her use their card to make the video?

If her whole video had sounded like bragging, I might believe it. It didn't. It was a weird blend of bragging about her free stuff one moment, and anger at being able to get it the next.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is because stories like this just continues the Welfare Queen strawman and welfare abuse mantra that fuels the anti-welfare crowd.
And they tend to make the rounds whenever the very valid arguments against further enriching the rich gain traction.
This deflection seems to work every time in some quarters.

Have to further starve the working poor in order to finance the tax cuts, doncha know.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't hang out with these people - I work with them. People have always told me their personal business my whole life....I guess I'm easy to talk to. If I was living they way they are I'd keep it to myself, but they really see nothing wrong with their behavior.
If the place you work has a bunch of people that qualify for EBT/welfare, I'd say your employer is a robber baron.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:10 AM

8,200 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I am on disability and I'm definitely older than 30. I had my first CDR after about three years and this one that I am having to appeal happened two years after the first one. They ruled initially that they could find no evidence that I could do previous work (some being a desk job) but that I would have to "adapt" and they were cutting me off anyway. (How do you "adapt" when your health has gotten worse than when you were first on disability and it was already determined that you couldn't do a desk job by a rehabilitation/vocational expert?) So, I filed an appeal.

After the first appeal hearing the decision against me came almost immediately and it was obvious that the decision was already made before hearing from the way it was written. It made reference to a CDI report where I had been followed around and seen entering buildings without ambulatory devices. I hadn't even said I used ambulatory devices. It said I was observed eating in a fast food place without anxiety and seen talking on a cell phone a couple of times in public. And it made mention about my having traveled to a warmer state during winter of 2016 (or I had attempted to but got snowed in along the way) while I was homeless and trying to freeze to death, except it said that I traveled for a bit of warm air, made no mention of the fact I was homeless at the time, and made it sound like I had gone for a vacation on taxpayer dime.

After I obtained the actual copy of referenced report, I read it and it was wrote deliberately to paint me as someone who was up to something. For example, it summarized one doctor's report by taking out all reference to having medical problems and left in part where I hadn't seen this doctor in two years. They took out where the doctor explained I hadn't seen him in two years due to a couple years there was a problem with the insurance and that I had seen a different doctor for those two years.

The whole report was done up like that, so I've been having to try and go through each of it and go through reams of medical reports and such trying to discredit it. Fortunately, the ALJ hearing hasn't been scheduled yet, so I am not in a rush. If I had to do this in a crunch with all of my medical problems I couldn't even do that. The government is basically framing me for fraud by manipulating and distorting facts. I just hope that the judge has some sense and can see it for what it really is.

My father and his wife turned in everyone they knew with anonymous letters for disability fraud. All of the others have already been cut off and didn't try to appeal it. I don't know most of the others except for one of them, so I have no idea the others medical problems. The one I have met and talked to, according to my father, had brain cancer at one point and had part of her brain removed and has seizures. He still was going around saying that she was lazy and could "work if she wanted to." She did not appeal the decision and I think it was mostly because she's very low intelligence and didn't realize she could fight it. She got a job as a cashier because someone there knew her and was helping her out. She'd likely not have been able to keep that job with her health problems if it weren't for that. It was basically a charity job that rarely exists in today's society.

I knew I could appeal so I did. Plus, I only applied for disability as a last resort after exhausting all other options, so if I lose the appeal I know I can never survive. I have never once had an employer want to keep me after seeing my health problems. No charity jobs for me. Never got that lucky. And none of the employers were ever kind about it. I had some get in my face cussing me out in front of other people when I'd be slowed down from my illnesses. So, I'm dead if I lose the appeal, so I have to keep doing things to discredit the lies in the report. I've had to take breaks from it though from illness. I was first advised to go on disability after the thing bashed my head in leaving me with TBI that left me with neurological problems back in 1995. I was in denial about how bad I was though and didn't listen. I regret that now. Thanks to welfare reform though I kept having to go to college to satisfy the work requirements because I wasn't able to get employment. I kept believing in my head that one day I'd get better and that I just needed to tough it out. My health problems got worse over the years though, and I had to eventually give up trying in 2010 and accept that I was too worthless for employment and would never get better. But I was never lazy and I did all I physically could to be normal and employed. God just never wanted to heal me like those Christians kept promising me He would.

I keep getting criticized about my long posts while being disabled. I started this response bit after 10AM and it is nearly 1PM here and I'm finally giving it up because my hands hurt so bad. It takes me a long time to type long stuff out much of the time. I get good days where I can type a little better, but an employer isn't going to wait around for days for me to have a good day to type a bunch of stuff. It's stupid to expect one to do so. An employer would want it done now, not days from now.

The food stamp office had done a fraud investigation on me too back years ago because of my father it turns out and they not only determined I wasn't committing fraud, but they discovered that they had counted income I wasn't receiving all along and gave me an increase. I had no idea that they were doing that before then or I could've got more help. And it had gone on for a year. My father has been trying to destroy me my whole life. Just the kind of person he is. He tried to kill my older half-brother too and served time in prison for it. If I don't win the disability appeal then he will finally have succeeded. I guess he'll be happy about that.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:12 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
EBT should be limited to only basic and healthy food. Rice, flour, eggs, basic whole wheat bread, vegies, non-fancy fruits, milk, limited types of meat, poultry.
Nothing fancy.
Yes, like expanded WIC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies