Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Hugh Beaumont was one man. Jay North, who played Dennis in Dennis The Menace, he was abused alot while he was on the show. Marilyn Monroe was beaten by her then-husband Joe DiMaggio over her being in "Seven Year Itch". She had also been divorced 3 times before her early death. There was alot of bad going on the 50s that just never surfaced.
True, we have found out that our perfect 50s weren't so perfect after all, BUT the average person in everyday life was kinder and more polite than the average person today. The average kid was MUCH better behaved than the average kid today.

If we had done some of the things in school that kids get away with, we would have been expelled. They actually expelled kids and they sent them to reform school.

And don't say that we liberals are responsible for any of this, because we don't endorse this behavior either. It's a twisted, complicated mess that society somehow got itself into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:00 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

If we had done some of the things in school that kids get away with, we would have been expelled. They actually expelled kids and they sent them to reform school.

We wisely cared more then about what little Johnny did, as opposed to today where all the fret is over 'how Little Johnny feels".

Old 11-25-2017, 04:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We wisely cared more then about what little Johnny did, as opposed to today where all the fret is over 'how Little Johnny feels".
Best post so far, IMHO.

In my town, there was a curfew: 8pm. A loud horn went off and that meant all kids off the street. Immediately. We all went home and parents and neighbors made sure that we did.

Only once did I linger...a few "bad" boys were starting trouble and we girls hung around to see what would happen. What happened? A POLICE CAR drove up, the police got out, the boys ran off and we girls were questioned and then told to get home.

I was only two houses away from home but I ran home as fast as I could and I worried all the rest of the night that the police would call my parents and tell them that I was out after curfew. In our town you didn't get away with anything. (Yep, we told the police the names of the bad boys, lol.)

It's not liberal and it's not conservative. We were liberal, tolerant, accepting, but there were RULES.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:20 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Baby boomers when they came of age in the 60s and 70s.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
I have some shocking news for you. You should probably sit down and brace yourself.

Movies are not real life.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:54 PM

33,548 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So it sounds like if you had your way, TV would be nothing but reruns of 'Father Knows Best' and the 'Ed Sullivan' show, spiced with all Baptist preachers on Sunday?
Father Knows Best had great writers, it had humor, a life lesson and great family values. Most shows were geared to the family. There were Christmas specials which all family members looked forward to seeing. Good clean family entertainment. The Ed Sullivan Show was filled with many different entertainers. From Elvis Presley to the great Motown singers to jugglers and skits by the many entertainers over the years.

So you have something against Father Knows Best and Ed Sullivan and God?

Old 11-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I have some shocking news for you. You should probably sit down and brace yourself.

Movies are not real life.
Many movies are made out of true life experiences.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

It's not liberal and it's not conservative.
I agree. It is simply what is right. A moral compass that is far stricter than a criminal compass.

When growing up, I knew I must respect all elders. No exception. Or I would not want to go home.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'll believe the people of this country are truly concerned about the 'decay of society' when we see more outrage over young Americans coming home in body bags for no good reason than over a bare breast at the Super Bowl.

Until that happens it's just another line of self congratulatory 'Oh, we're so moral' BS and nothing else.
You may think war has no good reason. If we allow evil to conquer our freedom here we would have been under Hitler. The first war was in heaven. Lucifer was caste out of heaven.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:13 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I am big fan on old movies and can help to notice the difference in behavior btw the old society vs the new one. What in your opinion has caused that?
It's a good question but not so easy to answer. First of all I agree with the numerous people here that Hollywood movies then or now don't represent real life in most cases. Escapist entertainment, no more no less.

Forgetting about movie fantasies though, I would agree with you that in general our culture has degraded a lot since the Greatest Generation. If you could isolate it to one thing, it is a decline of the lack of respect for other people. Whether it's an older person, a child, someone with different politics, strangers - that has changed a LOT since the greatest generation.

As far as WHY that has happened? Of course it's way too simplistic, but one explanation is that we are a far more materialistic and selfish society today than we were in the first half of the 20th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies