Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 PM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Liberals ( example: CA ) tend to build mansions behind gates with security and high prices while making 100 times what an average American does. They appease their consciences by championing the causes of those they have no connections to. And yet those poor people continue to live in small cheap houses while these multi millionaires continue to live behind their gates in their mansions.
So do alot of conservatives. Look at Orange County. Orange County has long been a conservative county and plenty of rich families walling themselves off from the poor and the those trying to get by.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Did we ever get a description of the One True American culture in here yet?
Well, that would mean different things to different people. I know the culture that was in my house when I was growing up. God, family, education, that is part of it. Baseball is a part of my culture. I will also watch soccer (and play it if I get the chance). R&B music is part of the culture in my family.

My neighbor next door, God and family are part of his life. He has some differences from my family though. He's a country music kind of person. He's a southerner, and he is from the country. My father is a northerner and raised in the city. My father is the product of a Black family who fled the South during the 2nd Great Migration. My mother is a Black woman from the rural South, but she also spent some time up North. I have lived in the South, West Coast, and Texas. My culture is shaped by having living in different places, picking up certain influences. I've grown up in the South, but I don't have the southern accent. I'm told I sound like I'm from the Midwest. This time of year, SEC football is big. I'm not into that.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:07 PM

62,695 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In one breath you say you're not against diversity & support equal rights then in the next breath you advocate limiting immigration for people that don't share your "culture" and support for voter suppression. You can't make these things up people...

I'll be honest, I view those that support voter suppression and those that are unaccepting and intolerant of different cultures as the worst part of American culture. These same people have been the primary antagonists against civil rights and equality throughout American history. MLK Jr. died fighting these same people...

One has nothing to do with the other. Expecting immigrants to assimilate into our society isn't denying them equal rights. It's not my culture but American culture. There is no voter suppression. There is no reason no matter who you are that you can't present proof of citizenship to vote. So it's not suppression.

Blacks have assimilated into our society and they speak English out in mainstream. I consider them fully Americanized. I think they should be treated equally to whites and I always have. You're barking up the wrong tree here trying to portray me as a white supremacists when clearly I'm not.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:05 PM

5,311 posts, read 2,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, that would mean different things to different people. I know the culture that was in my house when I was growing up. God, family, education, that is part of it. Baseball is a part of my culture. I will also watch soccer (and play it if I get the chance). R&B music is part of the culture in my family.

My neighbor next door, God and family are part of his life. He has some differences from my family though. He's a country music kind of person. He's a southerner, and he is from the country. My father is a northerner and raised in the city. My father is the product of a Black family who fled the South during the 2nd Great Migration. My mother is a Black woman from the rural South, but she also spent some time up North. I have lived in the South, West Coast, and Texas. My culture is shaped by having living in different places, picking up certain influences. I've grown up in the South, but I don't have the southern accent. I'm told I sound like I'm from the Midwest. This time of year, SEC football is big. I'm not into that.
Oh I know. I just have seen in here that there some say there is some big overarching American culture that reflects the whole nation. I just don’t know what it is since in my experience of being born here, living in 3 states and visiting a bunch of others, I have noticed that they all seem to have their own flavors, etc. So I’m waiting to hear what “all” Americans share as a culture and the like.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:03 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,114,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
One has nothing to do with the other. Expecting immigrants to assimilate into our society isn't denying them equal rights. It's not my culture but American culture. There is no voter suppression. There is no reason no matter who you are that you can't present proof of citizenship to vote. So it's not suppression.

Blacks have assimilated into our society and they speak English out in mainstream. I consider them fully Americanized. I think they should be treated equally to whites and I always have. You're barking up the wrong tree here trying to portray me as a white supremacists when clearly I'm not.
You can't be intolerant and support diversity at the same time. Especially if you have intolerance towards cultures that are different than your own "regional conservative culture" and these intolerances influence your views on things like voter suppression & immigration.. And blacks did not assimilate into your narrow view of what American culture should be. Black folks have been here since the start and African-American culture is a big part of the foundation of who we are. We didn't assimilate; we are part of the source...

Old 12-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Oh I know. I just have seen in here that there some say there is some big overarching American culture that reflects the whole nation. I just don’t know what it is since in my experience of being born here, living in 3 states and visiting a bunch of others, I have noticed that they all seem to have their own flavors, etc. So I’m waiting to hear what “all” Americans share as a culture and the like.
I can appreciate what you're saying. Having lived in Texas and Washington state, I find that both states have their own flavor. A hybrid state where the Southwest, South, and Great Plains meet vs the Pacific Northwest. I have family from Louisiana. Louisiana has its own flavor. In fact, it has alot of different flavors. You have Cajun Country in southern Louisiana (a very French and Catholic flavor), Greater New Orleans (a port city with a melting pot flavor, Italians, Irish, Spanish, Creole, African, Caribbean, etc), and northern Louisiana (which is more like the rest of the South than the rest of Louisiana).

Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
So spot on. MLK described similarly:

Dr. King presented the following speech at the New York Civil War Centennial Commission’s Emancipation Proclamation Observance, New York City, September 12, 1962

Emancipation Proclamation Centennial Address, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

https://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/histo...ure/mlk-ep.htm
You could say that there is a schizophrenic history in America. At the same time, if you read a little closer, you can see the reasoning behind the schizophrenic history. Abraham Lincoln did sign the Emancipation Proclamation. On the other hand, he only did it as a tactic to force the southern states to end their rebellion. It wasn't to free the slaves. This further proves that the South wanted to keep slavery. It was a bargaining chip. It was never meant for humanitarian reasons.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,842,813 times
Quote:
Did we ever get a description of the One True American culture in here yet?
I've lived in the U.S for over a decade now, and I still know what Stereotype my less well-traveled friends from home think of when they think AMERICA...

They think of fat white men in cowboy hats, blondes women with big hair, country music, pick up trucks, Southern accents, Church on Sunday, Fried Chicken and Biscuits, lots of junk food and LOTS of guns.

However... that's the stereotype. Those more worldly, or those who live in America know that it is a beautiful patchwork quilt of cultures and influences. I couldn't simply define American culture, or tell you exactly what it is.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 PM

62,695 posts, read 28,894,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You can't be intolerant and support diversity at the same time. Especially if you have intolerance towards cultures that are different than your own "regional conservative culture" and these intolerances influence your views on things like voter suppression & immigration.. And blacks did not assimilate into your narrow view of what American culture should be. Black folks have been here since the start and African-American culture is a big part of the foundation of who we are. We didn't assimilate; we are part of the source...

You just don't get it do you? Cultures that are compatible with ours and immigrants who will assimilate into our society is what is desired. Call it intolerance if you want when the opposite occurs. Why would we want that for our country? It's not about not tolerating "difference" but incompatibility. I don't know how else I can explain it to you. "Radical" Muslims come to mind. Should we be tolerant of them in our country? Their beliefs are not compatible with American beliefs and they don't assimilate into our society. Does that make me dislike diversity?

IMO, blacks ( I never call them hyphenated Americans) are a part of our melting pot and their culture is compatible with the rest of our society. They speak English. So yes, blacks did assimilate into American culture.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 AM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You just don't get it do you? Cultures that are compatible with ours and immigrants who will assimilate into our society is what is desired. Call it intolerance if you want when the opposite occurs. Why would we want that for our country? It's not about not tolerating "difference" but incompatibility. I don't know how else I can explain it to you. "Radical" Muslims come to mind. Should we be tolerant of them in our country? Their beliefs are not compatible with American beliefs and they don't assimilate into our society. Does that make me dislike diversity?

IMO, blacks ( I never call them hyphenated Americans) are a part of our melting pot and their culture is compatible with the rest of our society. They speak English. So yes, blacks did assimilate into American culture.
Which “blacks” are you speaking about?

Are you saying then that Africans and Afro-Caribbeans, most of whole are recent, are not black? When you say did assimilate, who are you referring to?

People of African origin do not all have one history or culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies