Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You just don't get it do you? Cultures that are compatible with ours and immigrants who will assimilate into our society is what is desired. Call it intolerance if you want when the opposite occurs. Why would we want that for our country? It's not about not tolerating "difference" but incompatibility. I don't know how else I can explain it to you. "Radical" Muslims come to mind. Should we be tolerant of them in our country? Their beliefs are not compatible with American beliefs and they don't assimilate into our society. Does that make me dislike diversity?

IMO, blacks ( I never call them hyphenated Americans) are a part of our melting pot and their culture is compatible with the rest of our society. They speak English. So yes, blacks did assimilate into American culture.
I do get it. I get that you are intolerant of things that are different in an attempt to protect a culture you seem to not understand. Labeling an entire people as incompatible is stereotyping. There is nothing honorable about this approach...

Old 12-18-2017, 09:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You can't be intolerant and support diversity at the same time. Especially if you have intolerance towards cultures that are different than your own "regional conservative culture" and these intolerances influence your views on things like voter suppression & immigration.. And blacks did not assimilate into your narrow view of what American culture should be. Black folks have been here since the start and African-American culture is a big part of the foundation of who we are. We didn't assimilate; we are part of the source...
Very true. I live in a part of rural, conservative America. I am seen as very "white". However, only one of my grandparents was born in the US. The others were born in Germany, Russia and Ireland and came to the US after 1900. Since most US blacks can trace their natural born ancestors to a time much further back than I can, I cannot rationally see the assimilation issue that some whites argue about. Lets not forget about the "white" people like me. We see blacks as having more true American heritage than we do.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You could say that there is a schizophrenic history in America. At the same time, if you read a little closer, you can see the reasoning behind the schizophrenic history. Abraham Lincoln did sign the Emancipation Proclamation. On the other hand, he only did it as a tactic to force the southern states to end their rebellion. It wasn't to free the slaves. This further proves that the South wanted to keep slavery. It was a bargaining chip. It was never meant for humanitarian reasons.
The reason why SHABAZZ310's post reminded me of MLK's speech was, long story short ~ both require the listener to be honest & to 'practice what you preach'.

From MLK:

"On the one hand she has proudly professed the basic principles inherent in both documents. On the other hand she has sadly practiced the antithesis of these principles."

The 2 documents he references:

"The Declaration of Independence proclaimed to a world, organized politically and spiritually around the concept of the inequality of man, that the dignity of human personality was inherent in man as a living being. The Emancipation Proclamation was the offspring of the Declaration of Independence. It was a constructive use of the force of law to uproot a social order which sought to separate liberty from a segment of humanity."

Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I do get it. I get that you are intolerant of things that are different in an attempt to protect a culture you seem to not understand. Labeling an entire people as incompatible is stereotyping. There is nothing honorable about this approach...

Where did I express intolerance of immigrants who assimilate into our society and aren't here to harm us? Assimilation doesn't mean you can't practice your native culture also. Again, you're way off base with me and I think you know it. Where did I label an entire group of people or stereotype them? What group of people are you referring to?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:35 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
OP will appreciate this article, i think.

Quote:
As the group got organized online, one member shared a screen grab from her Facebook feed, in which a stream of self-appointed diversity advocates pounced on a young woman who had shared her happiness about graduating from medical school.

Almost immediately, someone minimized her accomplishment by attributing much of it to “white privilege.” The new doctor struck back, pointing out that she’d climbed out of foster care and had worked her way through college.

But to the diversity Puritans, she had no right to celebrate what they labeled an ill-gotten accomplishment achieved in no small part by her white skin. Their glee in condemning her was exceeded only by their mutual congratulations for being so brave to bully her.
I got kicked out of diversity training - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Then explain this: Fighting discrimination – Franco-Americans and the Ku Klux Klan | Franco-American News and Culture

The KKK was in Maine too, and from what I learned, they weren't a fan of French-Canadian immigrants in Maine or anywhere else in New England.
Link didn't work for me.

Well let's just say there have been issues going way back. Beyond the KKK. French Canadians absolutely flooded northern New England and had a big influence on the culture. Many New England natives and immigrants from other countries were not impressed and there were problems. Generations later there are still plenty of Canadian descendants in the US who seem to have higher regard for Canada than America, so it rubs some the wrong way.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
There are still ghettos full of black people because of liberals. They want a dependent class of voters, so they do not implement policies that promote independence and upward mobility. Power is more important to liberals than actually helping the people they claim to champion. The best example is the left's dogmatic opposition to school choice.
They want a dependent class of people in general this is what real estate is all about as well.
It's all tied togethe.

I've hung out in very liberal areas with Ivy league schools and the academia snobs. These people could care less about poorer inner city people. A lot of them aren't even from the U.S. and have a higher probability of being a racist.

If the Democrats cared about blacks they would support Trumps stance on illegal immigration but the Democrats see blacks as easy votes, that's it.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I've lived in the U.S for over a decade now, and I still know what Stereotype my less well-traveled friends from home think of when they think AMERICA...

They think of fat white men in cowboy hats, blondes women with big hair, country music, pick up trucks, Southern accents, Church on Sunday, Fried Chicken and Biscuits, lots of junk food and LOTS of guns.

However... that's the stereotype. Those more worldly, or those who live in America know that it is a beautiful patchwork quilt of cultures and influences. I couldn't simply define American culture, or tell you exactly what it is.
Do they think that goes on in Boston or NYC?

Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Link didn't work for me.

Well let's just say there have been issues going way back. Beyond the KKK. French Canadians absolutely flooded northern New England and had a big influence on the culture. Many New England natives and immigrants from other countries were not impressed and there were problems. Generations later there are still plenty of Canadian descendants in the US who seem to have higher regard for Canada than America, so it rubs some the wrong way.
Whether it rubs people the wrong way, we can agree that the KKK hated French Canadians, as well as Catholic immigrants in general. And the KKK is a terrorist organization, so there is not excusing that.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
They want a dependent class of people in general this is what real estate is all about as well.
It's all tied togethe.

I've hung out in very liberal areas with Ivy league schools and the academia snobs. These people could care less about poorer inner city people. A lot of them aren't even from the U.S. and have a higher probability of being a racist.

If the Democrats cared about blacks they would support Trumps stance on illegal immigration but the Democrats see blacks as easy votes, that's it.
I've hung around conservative areas with many conservative people. Many of those same persons have a disdain for people living in the inner cities. Many Republicans don't care either. I've met conservatives who complain about Black people. I'm basing what I'm saying on what I've experienced living in the state of Georgia.

If we go by your experiences and my experiences, we can say neither side really cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies