Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The reason why SHABAZZ310's post reminded me of MLK's speech was, long story short ~ both require the listener to be honest & to 'practice what you preach'.

From MLK:

"On the one hand she has proudly professed the basic principles inherent in both documents. On the other hand she has sadly practiced the antithesis of these principles."

The 2 documents he references:

"The Declaration of Independence proclaimed to a world, organized politically and spiritually around the concept of the inequality of man, that the dignity of human personality was inherent in man as a living being. The Emancipation Proclamation was the offspring of the Declaration of Independence. It was a constructive use of the force of law to uproot a social order which sought to separate liberty from a segment of humanity."
Reading your last paragraph further drives home the failure of America to practice what it preaches, if the literal words of the Declaration of Independence are to be looked at literally. On the other hand, I don't wonder if some people looked at is from the perspective of "it isn't meant for Blacks".

Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Reading your last paragraph further drives home the failure of America to practice what it preaches, if the literal words of the Declaration of Independence are to be looked at literally. On the other hand, I don't wonder if some people looked at is from the perspective of "it isn't meant for Blacks".
Considering your last sentence, is it any wonder then, why the words, "In one breath you say you're not against diversity & support equal rights then in the next breath ..." left me breathless?

Old 12-19-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Considering your last sentence, is it any wonder then, why the words, "In one breath you say you're not against diversity & support equal rights then in the next breath ..." left me breathless?
Not anymore. I read the words and I'm not shocked by them. There are those who will say one thing, and mean another. There are those who will say one thing and practice another. The more I think about this subject, the more I consider that it really isn't a schizophrenic history. It is more like a history of hypocrisy taking place.

I will say this. I truly believe that this nation truly became free when the civil rights legislation was passed, and freedoms are afforded to all and it required to respect those freedoms. And it is backed up by law.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
In my area, there has ALWAYS been lots "Diversity". But they didn't care about that, back in the old days. It was a meaningless term to them. Even just fifty-sixty years ago.
All that DID matter was working hard and making money, whatever your ethnic background (and church, for most of them). When that's all you're focused on, then people get along great. And everybody prospers, oddly enogh.

Today, this phony push for "Diversity" has pushed all of that aside.
Sixty years ago there was race riot stemming from Jim Crowe laws. Want to rethink your post?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Sixty years ago there was race riot stemming from Jim Crowe laws. Want to rethink your post?
A better question is this. Why was such a post made in the first place? Why pine about how "great" the old days were?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Diversity is a dirty word to promote division, infighting and help bring about the anarchy the liberals champion. The word itself is like the intestines of a No. Korean. Full of parasites living off the host.
Hiel Hitler!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Diversity is a dirty word to promote division, infighting and help bring about the anarchy the liberals champion. The word itself is like the intestines of a No. Korean. Full of parasites living off the host.
Only to you is it a dirty word. I have never had a problem being aroundd a diverse group of people.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm American and I'm African American. I'm from Los Angeles and the culture in my area is vastly different than the deep south for example. Worshiping the Confederate flag is part of the American deep south culture but in Los Angeles someone will get their ass kicked for being so stupid...

Listen, just because you think your culture is the dominate one in America, it doesn't make it true... There are black folks, brown folks, yellow folks, red folks, etc, etc. that are just as American as you or maybe even more so...
I live in California as well, in an upscale liberal city neighborhood that has a lot of gay people and a mix of races.

I'm very happy to know that if I were to walk around the neighborhood wearing a large Christian cross pendant, or a large "Trump/Pence" political campaign button, that my social standing would increase because I was "adding to the diversity."

No one would throw a rock through my window if I posted a big "Trump for President" sign. Oh, wait, somebody did that to a business about a mile away.

Never mind.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
but you live in Caribou Maine. about the whitest place on earth...

91.4% white according a a site called CITY DATA.....

and if i recall correctly you have lived there a long long time?

i mean dude 91 out of 100 of your neighbors are white. i am not saying you have no right to speak you do, but ask yourself what you really know about diversity. (hey maybe you do)
"White" only became a concept when blacks became a notable presence in the United States. Europeans didn't consider themselves white, they considered themselves German, Polish, Swedish, etc.

My guess is that even "lily white" Caribou Maine had a lot of diversity in the past. Certainly other "white" communities did. They might be mixes of Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Italians, Portuguese, Scandinavians, Germans, Poles, Irish, etc.

Nobody celebrated that diversity for its own sake back then. Nobody was dumb enough to think that sharp cultural differences were "our strength." They were a challenge, and the different groups had their conflicts, but the U.S. established public schools to assimilate the different groups and prepare them for life in America. In the cities, that meant as factory workers. In the countryside, it meant as farmers. On the coast, it meant as fishermen and other seagoing trades.

That drive to assimilate is completely gone. White people are simply to be replaced in the U.S. and Europe.

Up until the 1970s, Hispanics were considered white and considered themselves white and equal to other whites. So you had Cesar Romero, Anthony Quinn, and Desi Arnaz as fully accepted members of the American elite. Then the (((merchants of racial resentment and division))) showed up, and suddenly being Latino meant you were as oppressed as blacks had been.

If Hispanics have a beef with white people, it is with Spaniards, not Anglos. It was the Spanish who imposed their language on them. But of course, Spain would just laugh at any complaints by Mexicans. And Latinos can't really complain about their own blood, can they, since most of them are partly Spanish anyway.

Mexico hadn't even existed for more than a couple of decades when the U.S. took over its northern lands. The Mexicans hadn't even bothered to settle those lands. There were no more than 15,000 or so Mexicans in today's American southwest. California, which was purchased fair and square, did not have Mexicans, it had a mix of Spanish and Anglo called the "Californios" who had big "rancheros" all over the state, plus the remnants of the Spanish missionaries.

So this "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" rhetoric from the "reconquista" types is mostly b.s.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:55 AM

What one of the Founders said:

"Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people -- a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs." -- John Jay in "Federalist 2"

I guess you won't see this quote in today's American History textbooks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies