Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Yeah ok the fact that Americans think they need 5 acres of land and a 2 car garage isn't a part of the problem or anything.

Everyone knows that in other countries even hotels are built differently. The U.S. wastes land. You build vertical, not horizontal in high demand areas.
I would go for the happy medium.

My San Diego city neighborhood, a couple of miles from downtown, has buildings that range from one to four stories in height and enough room for landscaping (trees, lawns). Even then, it's dense, about 10 people per acre.

Developers and the city have been putting high rises in the neighborhood. The trouble with them is that they are very expensive. To get the square footage I have in my attached townhouse, I would have to pay two or three times as much for a high rise condo. The monthly homeowner's fee would be about 3 or 4 times what I pay.

So high rises, at least where I live, are the opposite of affordable. But the city keeps telling us that we need high rises to create affordable housing.

On the other hand, sprawl development that wastes land, offers no sense of community, and where you are totally dependent on a car isn't any good either. I'd like to see the suburbs become more like my neighborhood. More dense, but not with high rises.

There's also the question of raising families. In my neighborhood, single-family-size homes are about $1.5 million and up. And the public schools suck. So most families -- who can't afford those expensive homes plus private schools for their kids -- have no choice but to move out to the burbs.

Last edited by dechatelet; 12-22-2017 at 11:45 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Human history is filled with tribalism, nationalism, and racism. Our collective history is barbaric, backwards, and saturated with ignorance. Since ignorance fuels hatred, we have become the war-mongering, racist, greedy, selfish, narcissistic, nationalistic, hateful, violent species into which we've all evolved.

Diversity is a beautiful word which indicates that we have the potential to overcome our ignorant and limited past. It means that we have the intelligence to develop into a truly triumphant species capable of both protecting and nurturing all the children of humanity. Diversity means that we are all capable of compassion. Diversity means that we are capable of collectively lifting ourselves up through education. There's nothing greater than learning the many varied dimensions of ourselves as brothers and sisters of the world...
Maybe so.

But I prefer that it be voluntary.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:52 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Human history is filled with tribalism, nationalism, and racism. Our collective history is barbaric, backwards, and saturated with ignorance. Since ignorance fuels hatred, we have become the war-mongering, racist, greedy, selfish, narcissistic, nationalistic, hateful, violent species into which we've all evolved.

Diversity is a beautiful word which indicates that we have the potential to overcome our ignorant and limited past. It means that we have the intelligence to develop into a truly triumphant species capable of both protecting and nurturing all the children of humanity. Diversity means that we are all capable of compassion. Diversity means that we are capable of collectively lifting ourselves up through education. There's nothing greater than learning the many varied dimensions of ourselves as brothers and sisters of the world...
To add to that, when I think of diversity, I think of inclusiveness. A place that is homogeneous due to happenstance, well, not a big deal to me. If I go there and I am well-received, no problems for me. At the same time, my experiences with being around a diverse group of people has been mainly positive.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:56 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You're likely so brainwashed into worshiping the 21st century "Diversity" cult that you don't even realize that it's a very, very recent phenomenon. That it's an "emperor has no clothes" deal.
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
Thomas Sowell

Old 12-23-2017, 04:09 AM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Maybe so.

But I prefer that it be voluntary.
It's difficult for the brainwashed multitudes to do anything on a voluntary basis. Most want reliable leadership and proper instruction.

Whenever two of the same species are kept apart under different circumstances, they will most inevitably evolve different characteristics. Characteristics that will usually increase their survivability in the future. If they evolve with widely diverse characteristics, they're called "subspecies".

When these subspecies meet again and interbreed, they become endowed with environmentally enriched DNA.

If you want a guard dog, get a German Shepherd. If you want a race dog get a Greyhound. If you want a smart dog that does tricks, get a Border Collie.

However, if you want a smart healthy dog that can run fast, and guard a well-entertained family, get a mongrel-mix of all three.

Last edited by zeliner; 12-23-2017 at 04:18 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
It's difficult for the brainwashed multitudes to do anything on a voluntary basis. Most want reliable leadership and proper instruction.

Whenever two of the same species are kept apart under different circumstances, they will most inevitably evolve different characteristics. Characteristics that will usually inncrease their survivability in the future. If they evolve with widely diverse characteristics, they're called "subspecies".

When these subspecies meet again and interbreed, they become endowed with environmentally enriched DNA.

If you want a guard dog, get a German Shepherd. If you want a race dog get a Greyhound. If you want a smart dog that does tricks, get a Beagle.

However, if you want a smart healthy dog that can run fast, and guard a well-entertained family, get a mongrel-mix of all three.
Cool story, bro.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
Thomas Sowell
You are attempting to view the world from a very low perch. Human beings have always interbred with one another. Subspecies have always produced progeny throughout recorded history.

We as humans usually look for leadership for better understanding, security, and guidance.

Once we see that our leadership begins to question the validity of some well-established fact, then we too begin to foster doubt.

Diversity will always be our strength, provided that we're given the tools to allow it proceed via education and proper leadership.

Last edited by zeliner; 12-23-2017 at 05:07 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
You are attempting to view the world from a very low perch. Human beings have always interbred with one another. Subspecies have always produced progeny throughout recorded history.

We as humans usually look for leadership for better understanding, security, and guidance.

Once we see that our leadership begins to question the validity of some well-established fact, then we too begin to foster doubt.

Diversity will always be our strength, provided that we're given the tools to allow it proceed via education and proper leadership.

I have no problem with diversity of race within a nation. What I object to is a nation's identifying culture being replaced or diluted by too much "immigration" from different cultures. I like the cultural uniquiness of each nation.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have no problem with diversity of race within a nation. What I object to is a nation's identifying culture being replaced or diluted by too much "immigration" from different cultures. I like the cultural uniquiness of each nation.
People tend to be receptive to gradual change, than accelerated change. Being confronted by too many small changes can oftentimes feel like being hit by shotgun pellets at midrange.

OTOH, having your traditions, beliefs, politics, habits, and social structure challenged in mass, can seem quite daunting.

However, looking on the brighter side of things...

Some belief-systems just plain suck anyways. In the case of believing in spirits and ghost (take your pick), all cultures could stand a change. When it comes to governmental corruption, all cultures need definite improvement. Let's just make certain that it's a more inclusive democratic change for the better.

If it's a matter of preferring Joe's bar to Nikki's bar, then just stop drinking altogether!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:

In the context of America, "diversity" has a very different meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To add to that, when I think of diversity, I think of inclusiveness. A place that is homogeneous due to happenstance, well, not a big deal to me. If I go there and I am well-received, no problems for me. At the same time, my experiences with being around a diverse group of people has been mainly positive.
"inclusiveness', huh?

So how about the Ivies - the schools that produce our leaders, now?

All of them were invented by White Anglo Saxon Protestant men, yet now their school populations - Harvard in particular - is 17 percent WASP (men AND women). Is that "inclusiveness"?

Why are my tax dollars going to a university that now has an agenda to keep people like me down, out, to effectively take over power in this country my WASP ancestors worked their -sses off and were taxed to build the infrastructure of?

None of this is "inclusive" - it is as divisive and poisonous as cancer, and is going to result in an uprising eventually, somewhere down the road, mark my words...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies