Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to the unemployed?
No one will work because we will tax the robots 6 16.67%
We will subsidize cybernetic enhancements to allow all to keep up 4 11.11%
The unemployed will slowly die off because they will lose hope 9 25.00%
The unemployed will be killed off by a robot-powered dictator 17 47.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:28 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gee, the "gloom and doomers" have been asking the same thing since the first industrial robots came out in the '70s.
It's the robots that will start taking over the human soldier's position that I am most worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 08:31 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Why is everyone so cynical and negative?

Some people on UBI will be a lump on the couch and do nothing. A majority of people will quickly get bored with that. They will create cottage businesses, learn a skill, and add to the economy. It is possible to have an optimistic outcome to all of this.
Exactly, once people are untethered from their cog in a machine jobs, all manner of creativity may break out.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Whose going to pay for those allowances? Do you really think the rich will just fork over the money to pay for people's free food and housing? Personally, I think they will just have had enough of the lowly middle class and poor person, and just sic the robots and get rid of us once and for all. Keep some around for artistic licenses, but that be it. Hopefully by the time that comes, if there is a God, he will have come down and saved the good people from this hell.
I think they will because they do it now, through taxes. So long as we retain voting power rather than becoming some kind of one party system like China, I'm not worried about that. That said, people in the U.S. seem more concerned about big government than big business now. I do think big business will become the thing to worry about in the future. We're going to want to keep those corporations on a tight leash. We'll have to get rid of our idea that what money you make is yours, and you earned it all, and replace it with a mentality more like: We're all interlinked, and yes, you earned some of what you make, but you owe the rest of us some of that two because the rest of society helped raise you up, and we will take what we think we deserve, through taxes, regardless of what your opinions are. Move to another country if you don't like that.

Anarcho capitalists complain that government relies on force. I don't see us getting rid of force anytime soon. I see force increasing. It seems like it'd either be a more powerful central government regulating corporations , or the corporations rule us and our schools have mandatory classes about how tasty McDonald's is, and Windows has a logo on the moon that can be seen by the naked eye on earth. Maybe they'll have advanced computer simulations by that time that can predict economic consequences of laws that could help with that.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It's the robots that will start taking over the human soldier's position that I am most worried about.
We already have those: drone strikes

Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Most likely, the five people that will own everything in the world will kill off all of the “worthless eaters.†The plutocrats don’t need any other humans once they’ve created a vast automated system for enriching themselves.
They'll keep some of the bottom feeders around, if anything, when they give a homeless family a free meal, they can then go home to their huge mansions and pat themselves on the back on a job well done. Or just to stroke their egos how much better they are than the struggling person.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
We already have those: drone strikes
Then why haven't they used them on us yet?????? Because they are still manned by humans who will have second thoughts of turning loose a weapon on their own people.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think they will because they do it now, through taxes. So long as we retain voting power rather than becoming some kind of one party system like China, I'm not worried about that. That said, people in the U.S. seem more concerned about big government than big business now. I do think big business will become the thing to worry about in the future. We're going to want to keep those corporations on a tight leash. We'll have to get rid of our idea that what money you make is yours, and you earned it all, and replace it with a mentality more like: We're all interlinked, and yes, you earned some of what you make, but you owe the rest of us some of that two because the rest of society helped raise you up, and we will take what we think we deserve, through taxes, regardless of what your opinions are. Move to another country if you don't like that.

Anarcho capitalists complain that government relies on force. I don't see us getting rid of force anytime soon. I see force increasing. It seems like it'd either be a more powerful central government regulating corporations , or the corporations rule us and our schools have mandatory classes about how tasty McDonald's is, and Windows has a logo on the moon that can be seen by the naked eye on earth. Maybe they'll have advanced computer simulations by that time that can predict economic consequences of laws that could help with that.
Hun, sorry to break it to you, but the way things are, I'm pretty sure the big corporations and the big government are already in cahoots with eachother. You think you are voting for politicians to put in place regulations, taxes and fees to protect the American worker, but all they are doing is just finding ways to stifle competition for their lobbyists.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Then why haven't they used them on us yet?????? Because they are still manned by humans who will have second thoughts of turning loose a weapon on their own people.
China, the USSR and Iran turned their militaries on their own people when they were ready to revolt, so that's happened too....

Old 11-26-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Exactly, once people are untethered from their cog in a machine jobs, all manner of creativity may break out.
I agree with that...at least I think that will eventually happen. I'm just concerned about the transition period. I'm thinking about what might happen if the rapid transition from horses to cars in the early 1900s happened on a much wider scale, brought about by super-intelligent machines that can perpetually keep inventing things to help them invent faster, that some people are saying might be here by 2045.

That could very well lead to a lovely Star-Trek uptopia...after a period of chaos during which everybody struggles to experiment with new government types that function effectively with their new environment, as people everywhere struggle to maintain the lives they've always known like horse-salespeople competing with automobile companies.

A few decades from now, I really don't see keeping some extra canned foods, guns, and bottled water stored in your basement as that bad of an idea, actually. The revolutionary war was fought largely over taxes. What's going to happen if there's a massive threat to most people's jobs? There will be plenty of new jobs, no doubt, but I'd suspect the big problem, even if there are more new jobs created than old ones, would be many jobs going obsolete at minimum.

I would assume we'd some kind of living wage because there just won't be enough jobs to go around for everybody.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Why is everyone so cynical and negative?

Once 100% unemployment hits, the robot owners will have no customers to buy the widgets that their robots produce. Robot owners will then support the government imposition of a robot tax and Universal Basic Income. People will get paid money without having to work. People buy products again, robots go back to the production line, and the owners are happy because they have revenue and profits again.

Some people on UBI will be a lump on the couch and do nothing. A majority of people will quickly get bored with that. They will create cottage businesses, learn a skill, and add to the economy. It is possible to have an optimistic outcome to all of this.
This, so much this.

Imagine the creativity that will be unleashed when people no longer have to devote 40 hours a week of their life to working to survive.

Technology exists to make our lives easier. This is the next logical step
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies