Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I can only conclude you don't understand statistics?

In Japan, they have an almost 100% Japanese on Japanese murder rate, but almost no murder per capita compared to the USA.
Japan has 100% Japanese on Japanese murder rates, but they don't lecture Americans on our murder rates. Do you understand? Since you want to imply that I'm stupid. Do you understand the simple point about minding your own business before lecturing black people? Are you even trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Denzel for President. It's time to have real Black President.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Japan has 100% Japanese on Japanese murder rates, but they don't lecture Americans on our murder rates. Do you understand? Since you want to imply that I'm stupid. Do you understand the simple point about minding your own business before lecturing black people? Are you even trying?
Japanese don't pay American taxes.

Who do you think pays for the prosecution, incarceration, welfare , policing etc for the disproportionate amount of crime that a small minority commit?

Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Japanese don't pay American taxes.

Who do you think pays for the prosecution, incarceration, welfare , policing etc for the disproportionate amount of crime that a small minority commit?
Black people. And yes I'm going to go there. Let's just say we've pre-paid. i'll keep it short. Many of the problems stem from poverty, and guess which group never received the big r-word. Guess which group has been marginalized throughout American history. Guess which group has had multiple successful business neighborhoods (like in Tulsa) torn to shreds by whites. And so on and so on. Now when yall wanna start paying the big r-word back, then you can roll out an argument about who's paying for blacks. We're paying for our selves plus more. What a silly attempt. Huge strawman on your part. This is the only response i'll give to your strawman.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:36 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Black people. And yes I'm going to go there. Let's just say we've pre-paid. i'll keep it short. Many of the problems stem from poverty, and guess which group never received the big r-word. Guess which group has been marginalized throughout American history. Guess which group has had multiple successful business neighborhoods (like in Tulsa) torn to shreds by whites. And so on and so on. Now when yall wanna start paying the big r-word back, then you can roll out an argument about who's paying for blacks. We're paying for our selves plus more. What a silly attempt. Huge strawman on your part. This is the only response i'll give to your strawman.
By "we", you mean your long dead ancestors from 100's of years ago. They were African prisoners, who instead of being executed, were sold at auction by their own race, to white people, into a life of slavery (to re-pay their debt to African society for their crimes).

Yeah, pretty sure 100% of the people alive today had nothing to do with either end of that. But somehow in your mind your using that to justify the cost of your disproportionate amount of welfare/incarceration/crime etc.

Can't get much more convoluted than that.

Last edited by Colorado^; 11-28-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
By "we", you mean your long dead ancestors from 100's of years ago. They were African prisoners, who instead of being executed, were sold at auction by their own race, to white people, into a life of slavery (to re-pay their debt to Africa society for their crimes).

Yeah, pretty sure 100% of the people alive today had nothing to do with either end of that. But somehow in your mind your using that to justify the cost of your disproportionate amount of welfare/incarceration/crime etc.

Can't get much more convoluted than that.
Yes my ancestors. Don't roll out arguments about how "we pay for blacks" when you didn't\dont. Lol tangent fail. And I'll bring it back to the thread topic. Most black issues stem from financial and resource issues caused by white supremacy. "It"doesn't start at home it started with white supremacy.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:46 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
of course, a famous black person stumbled into one of their time wasting talking points so the cism is filtered.
And that is a concern of mine. I understand where Denzel Washington is coming from. What I do not like are those who would otherwise complain about Black people using Washington as the "go to" Black guy to be a guard dog. He didn't say what he said to be that "guard dog". However, there are people who would use him as such, to do the dirty work.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:52 PM

A large number of Black children are born out of wedlock and are often raised without fathers in the home. Large numbers of crimes from some Black people. So what? What do you expect someone like me to do? What do you expect Denzel Washington to do? We're doing our part. My parents did their part. I'm doing my part not to contribute to problems. What more is expected from me? I ask this because there are people coming here basically complaining about Blacks to the tune of "you're a pest in this country". I also get the feeling that these grievances are being aired as if I am the one who is expected to do something about the problem. Well, nothing I can do about people who can't stop committing crimes, other than have the courts deal with them.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Denzel for President. It's time to have real Black President.
Who are you to say who is a real Black person and who isn't?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
When it comes to black people on the bold - yes you should be shut out in most instances. Rural poor whites do not have the same issues as urban poor blacks. There are stark differences between the two.

FWIW I do think it's nice that whites want to "help" in many ways but IMO the best way you can "help" black people is to stop believing we are a stereotype who needs your help.

On the blue, being that whites don't know what it's like to be black, that means that with problems relating to bias and discrimination and dealing with that - which is a huge issue in black America - how to deal with the stress of racism - you cannot help us. We have to help ourselves with that and that is a pervasive thing we deal with that effects all of us no matter if we are poverty stricken, middle class, or upper class or if our parents are married at our birth or not. You have no experience with this sort of thing and cannot provide any help to us about it other than not being biased yourself and encouraging your friends and family members not to be that way.

The very fact that you and others think of blacks as dysfunctional poverty stricken poor underclass, is indicative of why you should not be included in these discussions. And I'm not trying to be harsh or mean with my comments. It is just the fact that too many non-black people have too many negative views of blacks to truly help us in any meaningful way because a large amount of you don't believe that bias, discrimination, and racism, is a factor in our lives.

As I noted, I agree with Denzel in regards to teaching children morals and being reared in a caring/responsible family. However, I'll also note that Denzel has spoken about the fact that people in this country are racist and biased against blacks. He has even stated he has never befriended any white actors/actresses in Hollywood. Many of you will focus on the family comment and ignore his comments about race and racism - similar to how many people focused on Cosby in the same way and ignored his decades long comments about race and racism. You all pick and chose what you want to hear and don't deal with the big picture and until you can or do, there is no point in bringing you to the table. When I have meetings at work for a project plan, I don't include people who don't think we can achieve whatever goal/deliverable that needs to be met. I only want invested parties, not bystanders or complainers.
Obviously, whites don't have to deal with racism in the same ways that many black folks do. However, I'd very confidently state that black folks today don't have nearly the same uphill battle that they did 50 years ago. Of course discrimination still exists, and is probably worse in some ways now because it isn't overt like it was until the civil rights protests and such, but it's not like blacks are getting lynched every other day.

Now, on to some of the other points you made. Black poverty is a real thing, and to continue denying it is not helping. You can't confront an issue and hope to make any progress on correcting it if you can't even come to terms with the scope of the problem. According to a study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, in WI (what I'm familiar with, being from Milwaukee), 31% of blacks are below the poverty line. Now, in WI, blacks make up 6.6% of the population. Putting actual numbers on that, WI is home to 5.7m people (2016). 6.6% of that is roughly 381,000 people. Now, of that, 31% is about 118k. So, of a total population of just over 380k people, 118k of them are in poverty. Contrast this with numbers for white people. WI is 81.7% white alone, non-hispanic. This translates to about 4.7m people. Of this, 8% are below the poverty line, which is 377k. Overall, about 11% of people in WI are in poverty. Based on these numbers, black folks are clearly over represented. These are simple facts; there is no racism involved here. I don't consider blacks to be worthless people, and I don't blame every black person for the actions of other black folks.

You never did address the other main part of my reply, in that regardless of race, we're all "in it together". That's what community means. I don't want black folks to have to deal with systemic and widespread discrimination, and I don't believe any one particular race is inherently better than another. Shutting down debate and not listening to my viewpoint because I'm white is no better than those who do the same to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies