Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 06:51 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,109,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJME View Post
I was trying to point out that local events such as Mt St Helens and Chernobyl can become global. Since my father's kidneys were fried with an over dose of radiation I wouldn't want to take on any more radiation than I get at the dentist office. I suppose you were just fine when Three Mile Island went out of control. You weren't worried about escaping radio active water vapor coming your way? But I guess if you eat properly you'll be OK. You may not know what the radiation has done to you for many years.
That's right, and I also won't know how cell phones, cell towers, Sweet'N'Low, and the chemicals used to make plastics will effect me for many years to come either...but I don't go around professing that the end of the world is coming and that we need to impose financial burdens upon people that economically make no sense.

As far as Three Mile Island, it was blown out of proportion. In fact, one of my bosses went there immediately after the incident and talks about it frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,047,426 times
We have government agencies that monitor the safety of cell phone, sweet & low, and a host of other products/services to guard against you having a problem. The fact that you are oblivious to these efforts doesn't mean that they don't still protect you. Most Americans are willing to pay for someone to do the research, due diligence, and set regulation to assure the safety of the general public. Some people don't care, but enough of us do, so it get done.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nice try... black body radiation is an ideal situation where there is NOTHING to absorb and by your own admission ANYTHING can cause absorption of that radiation... even my pretty penny can cause a "natural disaster" on your short-sighted scenario of black body radiation. The earth does not act like a black body because the simple fact... NOTHING acts like a black body because it doesn't exist. Its only merit is that ANYTHING can cause absorption of the radiation but its nice to be short-sighted and say... oh its CO2... oxygen, nitrogen, ANY FREAKING thing can cause absorption other than vacuum space... but it was a nice try... I do believe if I put a fan next to black body radiation object, it would cool it off too, maybe we should install fans in every house and control it otherwise it would cause another Ice Age... trying to legitimize your bunk science with real science is ... well you get the idea.. Its nice when you didn't "answer" the second part on how black body objects don't exist in nature... only theoretical models in "ideal" worlds... The earth is not a black body object for the simple fact there are skies, a sun, clouds, buildings, color, planes, ozone layers, volcanoes, cosmic radiation, etc. etc...
I don't believe I've heard such nonsense in my entire life. "There is no such thing as black body radiation." Heat a frying pan on the stove for five minutes, turn off the stove, lift up the pan and feel the heat radiating from it. That's black body radiation.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Black body radiation exists ONLY in an ideal world (i.e. IMAGINARY world). For the simple fact that NOTHING in this world absorbs EVERYTHING and reflects NOTHING. Nothing in this world exists like that because the simple fact that we have nothing that absorbs everything and reflects nothing (did you understand that?)... its the same reason why there is no such thing as 100% efficiency in engines or ANY mechanical product. The black body radiation principle reflects ONLY that an object behaves within certain physical laws (i.e. the mathematical equations). It doesn't exist in reality but the physical laws derived from black body radiation is useful (you got that?). If earth was a black body object... there would be NO humans, no buildings, no atmosphere, no ANYTHING on the planet... seriously where do you learn your physics that you don't know this BASIC of principles in black body radiation. The term "black" has meaning, it can't be white, it can't be blue, it can't be other colors otherwise it WILL reflect something. Last time I check, earth wasn't totally black and devoid of all physical matter. With that in mind that earth has a TRILLION of things that can absorb energy from the earth itself... you pick out CO2 as being the culprit among TRILLIONS of things... that is short-sighted... and stop speaking nonesense when you have no basic understanding of black body radiation... that much is obvious..

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,151,472 times
Let's stay on topic and not try to insult each other's scientific knowledge.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Black body radiation exists ONLY in an ideal world (i.e. IMAGINARY world). For the simple fact that NOTHING in this world absorbs EVERYTHING and reflects NOTHING. Nothing in this world exists like that because the simple fact that we have nothing that absorbs everything and reflects nothing (did you understand that?)... its the same reason why there is no such thing as 100% efficiency in engines or ANY mechanical product. The black body radiation principle reflects ONLY that an object behaves within certain physical laws (i.e. the mathematical equations). It doesn't exist in reality but the physical laws derived from black body radiation is useful (you got that?). If earth was a black body object... there would be NO humans, no buildings, no atmosphere, no ANYTHING on the planet... seriously where do you learn your physics that you don't know this BASIC of principles in black body radiation. The term "black" has meaning, it can't be white, it can't be blue, it can't be other colors otherwise it WILL reflect something. Last time I check, earth wasn't totally black. With that in mind that earth has a TRILLION of things that can absorb energy from the earth itself... you pick out CO2 as being the culprit among TRILLIONS of things... that is short-sighted... and stop speaking nonsense when you have no basic understanding of black body radiation... that much is obvious..
Where do you get this nonsense? Do the experiment I suggested. Maybe even touch the hot pan with bare skin. Feel the pain. While not black body radiation at that point it might be a lesson is reality.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM

53 posts, read 84,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That's right, and I also won't know how cell phones, cell towers, Sweet'N'Low, and the chemicals used to make plastics will effect me for many years to come either...but I don't go around professing that the end of the world is coming and that we need to impose financial burdens upon people that economically make no sense.

As far as Three Mile Island, it was blown out of proportion. In fact, one of my bosses went there immediately after the incident and talks about it frequently.

You weren’t worried at the time the near meltdown was happening? It’s easy to look back and say they got it under control with minimal radiation leakage so we were OK. Let’s compare that with the California Fires which seem to be happening more frequently almost like an semi-annual nuclear melt down. People die, houses burn to the ground and possessions are lost.

The native vegetation, chaparral, is dry and oily it can survive years of drought. A little rain and it’s growing again. The state fire department, CalFire, says the summers are getting longer, hotter and drier. That would be OK a fire would remain isolated but there’s a condition where the Ocean Temperature has risen and the coast gets hot while the deserts cool. The hot dry desert air starts moving to the coast. A Santana condition, the devil winds start heading westward at 25 to 50 miles per hour. Then some fool arsonist sets a fire bomb. The result, if the conditions continue, is a fire storm driving it’s way to the coast consuming anything that will burn, melting or destroying everything else with 2000 degrees heat for days or weeks. Satellite photos show the smoke reaching hundreds of miles off the coast.

The cause is by human the conditions are natural but the longer, hotter drier summers? Global Warming or Global Warning?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Here is an experiment for you... COPPER CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING!!!

1) We all know the use of copper has been increasing of late since early in man's primitive time to its current manufacturing days of today. Just like CO2, copper has increased lately because of its common usage in coinage and building materials. Its increase can only be described as exponential compared to the metal age several thousand years ago. Its increases is similar to CO2 emissions!

2) We all know that when you put a copper shell around black body radiation, temperature rises. A proven link that copper causes temperature increases just like CO2.

3) We all know that copper is a great material to take heat (from the sun) and radiate it back out causing global warming.

4) So there you go... copper causes global warming using the SAME justification as CO2 causes global warming...

5) To prove it we took a 1 mile x 1 mile block of copper and stuck it on Antarctica... Apparently the sun warmed up the copper to melt the underlying ice shelf causing it to dissolute...

6) Knowing that copper has been increasing used lately and the physical properties of warming up and radiating heat.. it causes global warming!

its nice when you use legitimate science to make a case for complete bunk...

Old 04-11-2008, 09:57 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,109,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJME View Post
You weren’t worried at the time the near meltdown was happening? It’s easy to look back and say they got it under control with minimal radiation leakage so we were OK. Let’s compare that with the California Fires which seem to be happening more frequently almost like an semi-annual nuclear melt down. People die, houses burn to the ground and possessions are lost.

The native vegetation, chaparral, is dry and oily it can survive years of drought. A little rain and it’s growing again. The state fire department, CalFire, says the summers are getting longer, hotter and drier. That would be OK a fire would remain isolated but there’s a condition where the Ocean Temperature has risen and the coast gets hot while the deserts cool. The hot dry desert air starts moving to the coast. A Santana condition, the devil winds start heading westward at 25 to 50 miles per hour. Then some fool arsonist sets a fire bomb. The result, if the conditions continue, is a fire storm driving it’s way to the coast consuming anything that will burn, melting or destroying everything else with 2000 degrees heat for days or weeks. Satellite photos show the smoke reaching hundreds of miles off the coast.

The cause is by human the conditions are natural but the longer, hotter drier summers? Global Warming or Global Warning?
OMG...what a catch phrase. Fires happen naturally. So, for you a drier and hotter summer indicates a "global warning"? Natural disasters happen...I feel the utmost empathy for those affected but it will happen when your house is in the middle of a place that routinely catches fire...and would catch fire with or without humans here. The same thing with tsunamis and hurricanes...

Old 04-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Here is an experiment for you... COPPER CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING!!!

1) We all know the use of copper has been increasing of late since early in man's primitive time to its current manufacturing days of today. Just like CO2, copper has increased lately because of its common usage in coinage and building materials. Its increase can only be described as exponential compared to the metal age several thousand years ago. Its increases is similar to CO2 emissions!

2) We all know that when you put a copper shell around black body radiation, temperature rises. A proven link that copper causes temperature increases just like CO2.

3) We all know that copper is a great material to take heat (from the sun) and radiate it back out causing global warming.

4) So there you go... copper causes global warming using the SAME justification as CO2 causes global warming...

5) To prove it we took a 1 mile x 1 mile block of copper and stuck it on Antarctica... Apparently the sun warmed up the copper to melt the underlying ice shelf causing it to dissolute...

6) Knowing that copper has been increasing used lately and the physical properties of warming up and radiating heat.. it causes global warming!

its nice when you use legitimate science to make a case for complete bunk...
If there was a copper shell around the planet we might have something to discuss, but there isn't. In addition copper is opaque to the higher frequencies of radiation so if there were a copper shell no heat would get to the earth surface to begin with. The beneficial and potentially harmful properties of the greenhouse gases is that they are essentially translucent to high frequencies and opaque to lower frequencies. The Sun has a larger component of high frequency radiation in its spectrum so a lot of it's radiation reaches the Earth through the layer of greenhouse gas. When the Earth re-radiates that energy, it's in a lower frequency spectrum which the greenhouse gases preferentially absorb, trapping the energy within our atmosphere. As the concentration of these gases accumulates in our atmosphere, the temperature of the Earth will increase.

I do need to ask what legitimate science courses you've taken in your life? I have completed college physics through courses in quantum mechanics and nuclear fission. That would include a semester of Heat, Waves and Optics, which treats the behavior of the radiation we refer to as "black body radiation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies