Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So Who was a better President?
Ronald Reagan 134 52.76%
Barack Obama 120 47.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:30 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Okay you make a good point ,but if Reagan didn't have a legacy why did Bush Sr get elected after him? The Republicans manage to control the White House for 12 years.
"Read my lips: no new taxes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 AM

120 posts, read 66,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't remember much about Reagan except that he closed mental facilities. But he was extremely likable and eloquent just like Obama was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Looking at the time that the OP was posted, vs the time your post was posted, I would have to say that the change was due to the conservatives getting home from WORK!
Well at least Obama is somewhat closer now. Before Reagan had twice as many votes.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Well at least Obama is somewhat closer now. Before Reagan had twice as many votes.
I think that depends in large on the age of posters here...maybe a generational thing. How many are old enough to remember President Reagan (or were even alive during his presidency?) How many (like me) were old enough to be so disgusted with Jimmy Carter that we voted him out of office? How many were young adults caught up in Obama's "Hope and Change" carrot-on-a-stick?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Reagan was a better speaker but a horrible President. Tax increases galore. Iran-Contra debacle. He should have been impeached for that alone. His administration was one of the most criminal on record. How people can see him as great president is beyond me.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:11 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
I guess I will always have grudge against Reagan. I had a great job building combines. One of his first orders was to eliminate a loan program for farmers. We had been running production 24/7. Because of his order the plant was gone within a couple years along with 1800 jobs in the plant and 100s more of support jobs. And he only eliminated the loans because they were Carter's idea.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
...and this quote right here is why its too soon to review the Reagan presidency.

gladhands your utter and complete bias is just staggering. good grief.
I don’t see how that’s debatable for anyone who understands Iran-Contra.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
So Obama was a better President?
They both had their pros and cons. Reagan was what we needed at the time, even though his presidency was buried in curruptions, lies and crimes. He lucked into the fall of the Soviet Unions because HE believed in the Star-Wars farce so fiercely that he faked the Soviets into believing him. He was wrong, but his conviction that he was right was enough. To me, the Reagan Legacy was the end of the middle class. Look at any credible statistics, and you'll see that the US Economy continued to grow, and in fact at a faster rate, after his presidency, but the middle class stifled, and has yet to recover.

Obama was about the cleanest, most honest president we've had in modern times (despite the Right Wing garbage propaganda to the contrary). He understood what makes America great, and in many ways we gained respect in the eyes of the world. I know from a moral POV, that to be true, as I experienced it first hand as I travelled the Mid-East during his tenure. I think Obama's downfall was he was too much of a thinking man. Too intellectual, and too worried about doing the right thing. He leaned too heavily on diplomatic solutions, to the point where we lost some of our edge. That was (partially correctly) percieved as weakness by some. He dared to take on race relations, and the people that needed to hear him the most were not capable. He was methodical and precise, and we benefited.

Who was better? I'm not sure. I 'liked' Obama more, consider him to be more of a true patriot, WAY more honest, but Reagan in his bravado brought something Obama didn't have (and visa-versa). I think it is apples and oranges. The world is not a digital experience, it is much more analog. In that sense, they both did good and both did harm.

I'd take a pile of either of their feces as an improvement over what we have now.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Reagan was a better speaker but a horrible President. Tax increases galore. Iran-Contra debacle. He should have been impeached for that alone. His administration was one of the most criminal on record. How people can see him as great president is beyond me.

typical Lib, out of touch with reality.........Reagan had to deal with a Democrat Congress. So he had to deal with the likes of Woman Killer Drunk, Ted Kennedy and Tip Oneal (another drunk), both from Taxachussets........technically, any President could be impeached for anything, from Bill Clinton to Obama.

What's worse, the Iran Contra or the NSA spying on Americans under the orders of Obama and his people lying under oath in Congress......or Holder sending arms to Mexico in the Fast and the Furious scandal? or Hillary Clinton selling the country out as Secretary of State and receiving millions of dollars to her foundation and deleted over 30,000 emails when she got subpoena by Congress and the FBI open an investigation on her and Obama obviously protecting her?

but don't take my word for it, the American people who lived during Reagan, re-elected him in 1984 with a 49 state landslide and if he could have run for re-election in 1988, he would have won again by a landslide......He is the reason Bush Sr. won the election in 1988 easily even though he was boring and he was NO Reagan and picked a weak candidate as VP.....It was all Reagan.

Obama couldn't do that....he couldn't help Hillary win and continue his 3rd term even though she outspent Trump 8 to 1 and the media and Hollywood campaigned for her.

Obama left the Democrat Party in bad shape financially and in the minority party....Reagan didn't, he left the GOP better in 1988 than when he took office in 1980.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

Obama was about the cleanest, most honest president we've had in modern times (despite the Right Wing garbage propaganda to the contrary). He understood what makes America great, and in many ways we gained respect in the eyes of the world. I know from a moral POV, that to be true, as I experienced it first hand as I travelled the Mid-East during his tenure. I think Obama's downfall was he was too much of a thinking man. Too intellectual, and too worried about doing the right thing. He leaned too heavily on diplomatic solutions, to the point where we lost some of our edge. That was (partially correctly) percieved as weakness by some. He dared to take on race relations, and the people that needed to hear him the most were not capable. He was methodical and precise, and we benefited.

BHAAAAAA!!!!!!! Using the I.R.S. to punish the political opposition? spying on Americans and our allies in ILLEGAL phone recordings? lying about Benghazi? having Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State selling our country out and getting rich and protecting her? the fast and the furious?.......I guess those are not crimes to you.

Honest?????? the same President that told the American people that his Obamacare plan would cut the cost of premiums and health care costs and you can keep your doctor and keep your plan if you like it...........all lies.

What a joke! the most honest? LMAO!

Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Latest aggregate of historian’s poll has it about an even draw.

Obama ranked #15
Reagan #17

For comparison, Bill Clinton ranked below both of them at #20.
G. H. W. Bush #22
Dubya #34 (currently rated as best of the worst; highest ranked on the lowest ranked grouping.

Last place belongs to Warren G. Harding at #43.

For anyone thinking that there should be 44 previous presidents ranked, remember that Grover Cleveland served non-consecutive terms as #22 and #24.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hist..._United_States

Last edited by Bureaucat; 11-28-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies