Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 06:39 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,517,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Harry is now number 7 in the line of the thrown which makes him right now kind of a nobody in the eyes of importance to the thrown.

Harry is page 6 news and so is his divorced bride!

Congrats to the couple and media hype but for royal importance they are nothing
Who are the 'thrown' and why would Harry be important to them?

Let's not pretend- if Trump was to be on the guest list, there'd be lots of posts celebrating the Royals instead of all the 'who cares, they are not important' posts.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,824,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Billions, I guess.

What a nightmare of a job !

Disney is no real life

Doesn't change the fact that I think Americans (and all) do care, hence this thread.
No not all or even most. Some like yourself do. Not all Americans or even most want a huge wedding or care about anyone else's wedding.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:00 PM

1,349 posts, read 658,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
No not all or even most. Some like yourself do. Not all Americans or even most want a huge wedding or care about anyone else's wedding.
I was actually saying billions of women wouldn't want that.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:20 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,488,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I was actually saying billions of women wouldn't want that.
Lol, sure. That's why the U.S. wedding industry is in the billions.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 PM

31,635 posts, read 26,488,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Historic buildings won't vanish without a royal family, they're the actual money makers. 100% of their income won't go if the Royals do. Indeed it may increase (since public access of some is restricted during times of royal residency). Regardless it's impossible to separate the actual effect of the royal family, from the historic buildings and collections.

Once again the Crown Estates were ceded for debt to the people of Great Britain for failure to spend tax income on required and agreed services, and personal debts of the crown in 1760. That today they still receive a stipend from them is insane.

So in fact the claims are highly speculative to the point of complete conjecture.

There are historical buildings all over France, Spain, Germany, Russia and other European countries that are former monarchies. None of them brings in anywhere near the money on average that the combined effect of still having an active monarchy does for Britain.

France cannot even afford to keep up Versailles and has been seeking ways to increase revenue:
Palace of Versailles forced to put up paying guests - Telegraph

Furthermore as you very well know it is not just the "historical buildings" persons are interested in with regard to HM and or the RF, but the persons themselves. Lord knows media and others have made fortunes off Diana, Princess of Wales and lately her two sons.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,002,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hard to imagine why the couple would want Trump at their wedding.
The honest part is that, politics aside, I can't see why anybody would ever want to be in the presence of Trump. He's a rude, stupid, ignorant, immature bore with all the grace and tact of a drunk hippo with a case of the runs.

The funny part is this thread is no doubt by now full of right-wingers defending Trump and claiming that it is all some "communist plot by Obama" or some nonsensical drivel. Yet I bet that, 2 years ago, if Trump was a potential guest at their own wedding, none of them would have been dumb enough to invite him. The guy is a life-long slimebag, and the butt of every joke for decades involving unearned wealth, runaway ego, and tasteless excess. If these right-wingers had any intellectual honesty, they admit that, 2 years ago, they never would have trusted Trump with their bank account, house for a weekend, or daughter for 1 night. But the moment he became the Republican nominee, they put aside all the facts and blindly support him, as they do to this day. It's sad, really.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Sure, I'm a history buff as well.

English tyrants helped to found this country, just to clarify your point.

Fawning adoration over remnants of passe' monarchical rulers is quite a leap, IMHO.

Of course everyone's opinion may vary.

You are free to return to your regularly scheduled coverage of the "Markle sparkle" the dialog of which seems to be something along the lines of...."baaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaahhhhh, bleet"

CN
Yeah, I like history and the UK and all but I find the whole royalty thing quite ridiculous in 2017. Americans just don't get it (and why should we?). There's being interested in the royals because they're sort of gossip or entertainment news, as they're more celebrity than anything else these days, then there's having that same respect and adoration that the UK is at least supposed to (though I know many are bitter). We don't have the latter, it's not in us to understand it or even to care on that level.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,721,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Anyone who is, that is not a friend or relative of the bride or groom, is just sad.

In reality, it’s not any more significant than a Kardashian wedding.

They're interesting to watch because they're spectacles, and the Brits make such a big deal of them. But I agree--this isn't significant.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:43 PM

77,744 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Rorschach thread. But don't you guys worry. 39 pages about a meaningless wedding invitation tells me some important things.

You're easily distracted while the biggest tax changes in modern US history roll forward.

Pretty much, Trump & Co. seems to be banking on the American public having the attention of a fruit fly and can distract from any important topic by nothing more than tossing a "politcal ball" to the public equivalent of a golden retriever.

P.S. OMG did uc Kylie Jenner? OMG....I can't believe E. manning benched.....OMG....emoji emoji emoji.....

Old 12-03-2017, 06:44 PM

31,635 posts, read 26,488,524 times
I'll say it again....

DT likely does not care about being invited to Prince Henry's wedding per se; more like the furore or not at least being asked and or more to the point if the Obamas are indeed invited.

What His Orangeness does want and craves is the stamp of approval that comes from meeting the Queen. He and his handlers made that specific request/demand in lining up the as of yet to happen state visit.

Of course had (or if) DT and the missus are invited it is likely in the man's eyes he could "do a little business" on the side since obviously HM will be in attendance. It likely does not occur to the man that unless otherwise introduced/invited to meet the Queen, he won't get anywhere near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies