Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,349,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just another broad generalization that's bound to stir up controversy.

From the number of posts in this thread, it was successful at doing just that.

I grew up in small town America where the economy was heavily dependent on agriculture. And the "good" jobs were with the railroad, but they were few and hard to get.

Just about anybody in my old HS class with any ambition and ability left town shortly after graduation. When I'd go back for a visit, the ones who stayed just aren't doing well, for the most part. The women looked old before their time and the men looked tired and unhealthy. Both sexes tended to be overweight and smokers. I'm surprised at the number of my classmates who didn't even make it into their mid 50s.

It's no wonder that they're angry and frightened. Fox News and hate radio tell them it's not their fault that they made poor decisions. They're being held down by a "liberal conspiracy."

What they don't grasp is that opportunities dried up about the same time our class graduated and small town life that was so good in the 50s had begun to decline by the early 70s and it hasn't done anything but slide since then. Lots of us saw it coming and got out. Those who stayed suffered. Factories closed down and the railroad moved its operations to another town 50 miles away. Still has a Walmart and fast food joints. Probably a good amount of meth.

Housing is dirt cheap, though.

So it's not all bad.

Pretty closely describes the area I lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 01:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
I would say Trump supporters are a threat to our democracy but since rural Americans tend to be Trump supporters, it makes sense.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Agree 100%

The people that post things like I have seen in this thread are disgusting. They cling to the one form of bigotry that is still considered to be socially acceptable with absolutely no self-awareness. They say the vile things that they say & then wonder why the interior of the country voted the way that they did. My own ancestry was called out in a post earlier in this thread. I hope the poster thought it was a constructive thing to say.

Rural America didn't vote for Trump, they voted against Clinton. Urban America didn't vote for Clinton, they voted against Trump. Run better candidates next time & get a clue. Those of you talking about how someone voted for Trump or Clinton, what are they supposed to do? Vote for someone that is completely contrary to their political views?

"The candidate that is more like me politically is a POS, so I'm going to vote for someone who I completely disagree with because they aren't quite as much of a POS" Newsflash, nobody is going to do that. Every election moves the needle in a certain direction, and nobody is willing to take a step backwards to punish a candidate.

Speaking as a rural American, there wouldn't be any bad blood from me towards urban Americans if they would respect Federalism & allow both areas more flexibility to govern themselves as they see fit. Also, I'm sure the urban Americans are tired of the rural Americans trying to impose their values through government edict. The more powerful the Federal Government gets, the worse this issue is going to get moving forward.
I know quite a number of people in my old town who quite emphatically voted for Trump. They are still diehard supporters. They certainly don't see him as the lesser if two evils. I agree, some did see it the way, but a very substantial number did not.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,786,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Actually it does describe the area I lived in pretty well. The West may be different.
What city and county? As he said the loonies are mostly just in the very rural areas of the southern states. It's like, a small handful of people here and there. It's like saying everyone that lives in a big city, is in a gang or something.

Also states like LA and MS have a lot of black people so the southern states aren't even all white people.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I love it when the big city liberals start in with this. Do they really not realize that rural and urban MUST coexist? From farmers to truckers to oil and gas lines and water supply, people like Joy would be in huge trouble without the rural. Same thing goes in the opposite direction. WTF is the matter with people? (Don't answer. Completely rhetorical. Too many people are stupid - whether rural or urban.)
Good luck getting food to the table when "those backwards rural folk" stop feeding the arrogant urban fools who are so keen on that Farm to Table gig.

A true expression of "biting the hand that feeds them"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would say Trump supporters are a threat to our democracy but since rural Americans tend to be Trump supporters, it makes sense.
I rest my case

Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Republicans are going to be shocked and angry when Democrats do exactly what Republicans are doing when they are in control. And every single time Republicans scream, Democrats can smile and say "It sure seemed fine when Trump and the GOP were in charge." I almost wish they would do things even we would disagree with just to rub it in the GOP's face.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I lived for twenty years in rural southeast Ohio and met NUMEROUS people like the poster you are responding to described. That poster pretty accurately described the culture in much of rural America.
Southeast Ohio. A large illegal crop grow area with the college towns of Athens and Marietta.

You can find all kinds of people everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Good luck getting food to the table when "those backwards rural folk" stop feeding the arrogant urban fools who are so keen on that Farm to Table gig.

A true expression of "biting the hand that feeds them"
Please. The urban people have money and local farms. Even urban chickens are stylish now. They can buy food globally. Even Costco gets their produce from Central and South America this time of year. Rural America has nothing on urban America. Truly, their threats are completely empty.

In fact, Trump's Mexico insults may have cost dairy farmers $1.2 Billion because Mexico is looking at taking their money to New Zealand.

America’s $1.2 Billion Mexico Milk Trade Is Now at Risk
The biggest U.S. dairy importer is talking with New Zealand and buying more from the EU. Guess why.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...is-now-at-risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How silly.

You attempt to tell us what's in the minds of millions of people you don't know, don't have anything to do with, and have no dealings with. Must be terrible to be so "smart" that you express such contempt at so much of the United States.

If this is what "smart" means, you can keep it. You simply demonstrate that which you accuse.
Brain drain is a serious issue for a large percentage of rural rural areas. In the rural area I lived in there was much discussion of it's ill effects on the area and what could be done to counteract it.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans are going to be shocked and angry when Democrats do exactly what Republicans are doing when they are in control. And every single time Republicans scream, Democrats can smile and say "It sure seemed fine when Trump and the GOP were in charge." I almost wish they would do things even we would disagree with just to rub it in the GOP's face.
Not really.

Millions of people have left the Democrat party, never to return. Especially with racists like Joy Reid shilling for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies