Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 04:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,500,905 times

Advertisements

I will just thread jack with this and then go about my business. Doesn't matter if city/rural the infrastructure is falling apart in the US. This was headlining MSN today too. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...tanntp#image=7

How are people even going to talk on the internet when our electric grid is being ignored and could go down? It's falling apart due to lack of maintenance (I know some lineman). It could also be attacked. Even Fox News reported that recently.

Millions of American lives could be at stake as North Korea threatens to attack power grid | Fox News

Don't know about you folks but it's getting pretty cold where I live....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM

57,067 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't think he does.

I live outside of Okeechobee county in Florida (Yeehaw junction anyone?????) I have a small horse farm. One neighbor is a Cuban family, and they started a nursery. On the otherside, a Seminole family who owns a survivalist business. Behind me is a Jamaican man who owns a goat farm, and is a truck driver. Across the street, a Mexican who breeds and shows Paso Fino horses, and you can often see them on display at the South Florida Fair. Down the street, a man who moved here from France 40 years ago and he owns a Tennessee Walker horse training farm. There is an orange grove owned by a white family, and while they are Christians, they also support their son who is gay. And most of us, who used to vote democrat because democrats used to protect the farms, wildlife and great outdoors once upon a time, has turned their back on us and made us some sort of enemy, even though we did nothing wrong. Now, they just want to tax us to death, let home insurance companies raise their rates without no challenges, and they keep trying to push gated communities, plazas and walmart, which we as voters keep rejecting.... But, no where in my area do I see bible thumping, gay hating Christians. Just people who want to have a peace of the American dream, and be left alone.

Hell, they have been trying to push city water and sewer systems on us for the past 20 years, and we keep rejecting it.

Off topic but the future of Lake Okeechobee and other bodies of water will soon be sewers without proper water treatment, keep rejecting it and see what you get.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Funny, I live in a rural area in the south, and I have never, ever met anyone like this. Most just like to have the country lifestyle. Wrap around porches, peace and quiet, horseback riding, having big dogs and acres of land that is all yours. So I just think you are full of crap.
I think you need to get out more, then. The rural south is heavily Fundamentalist Christian and ultra-conservative. Look at the kinds of politicians that get elected there.

Even in the north (outside of New England), the rural areas are heavily Fundamentalist and conservative republican. Spend a few years living in a small town in rural Pennsylvania and you’ll know what I mean.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:14 PM

34,177 posts, read 18,482,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think you need to get out more, then. The rural south is heavily Fundamentalist Christian and ultra-conservative. Look at the kinds of politicians that get elected there.

Even in the north (outside of New England), the rural areas are heavily Fundamentalist and conservative republican. Spend a few years living in a small town in rural Pennsylvania and you’ll know what I mean.
I've lived in the South, and I live in Pennsylvania now. The South still does have some Fundamentalists but it has changed, and IS changing drastically as northerners move down there. It is nowhere near what it once was from a religious, and political perspective. Have you lived in the South?

Old 11-28-2017, 05:15 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Okeechobee County FL is NOT in the Bible Belt. Try spending some time in rural Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, or Alabama and then try to tell me my perception of rural America is wrong.
The Bible Belt makes up the minority of voters and representation in Congress.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks that rural Americans are “the core threat to our democracy” and pointed to a series of tweets by liberal author Jared Yates Sexton that claimed Trump supporters “do not believe in the Constitution or any founding principles unless they're advantageous” as proof of her far-left theory.

She tweeted: "This is the core threat to our democracy. The rural minority -- the people @JYSexton just wrote a long thread about -- have and will continue to have disproportionate power over the urban majority."

Anti-Trump MSNBC host Joy Reid thinks rural Americans are 'core threat' to democracy | Fox News

"Rural Americans" = white people who do not adhere to the progressive ideology.
Issue is not "rural". It is low population states. And these states are not "rural". The only state in the US which is "rural" is Maine. Everyone else is majority non rural.

That is also the thing that needs fixing...the irrational advantage given to the low population states which tend to be right wing.

And the Constitution began as an agreement between the original states. But that is not how it ended up. The vast majority of the States were created from Federal land or other States. They were not participants in the creation of the Constitution. that leads to no rationale for the advantages of the small states.

Last edited by lvmensch; 11-28-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 05:18 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Progressives HATE this concept which is the basis for the American Republic, because they hate America, and its values which are largely rural. Self sufficiency, helping your neighbor, hard work, supporting your military, paying your taxes, keeping your family together, honesty. All values that Progressive despise.
Here are some other good rural values: child abuse, spousal abuse, religious fundamentalism, racism, xenophobia, jingoism, authoritarianism, fear and loathing of anyone perceived to be different, willful ignorance, etc. Obviously not everyone in a rural area has those values, but they are widespread.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Quote:
Here are some other good rural values: child abuse, spousal abuse, religious fundamentalism, racism, xenophobia, jingoism, authoritarianism, fear and loathing of anyone perceived to be different, willful ignorance, etc. Obviously not everyone in a rural area has those values, but they are widespread.
As they are in urban areas.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:26 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,154,203 times
We are a constitutional republic some people here and including this air head from msnbc should have not skip civic class in school!!

Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Ever read a police blotter in NYC? That pretty much covers all you are typing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies