Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That is an excellent point. I guess people have forgotten how the Indian tribes massacred each other, and actually enslaved each other at times. They were brutally horrific. Indians killed Indians all the time. So, because a White man did it, we should get all offended?
You're missing the point. That's not what it's about. It's about a U.S. President that takes the law into his own hands because he thought he was above the law which resulted in the deaths of about 4000 human beings mostly women, children and old people. Please don't make excuses for a bad decision on Jackson's part.
What Indians did to each other has nothing to do with what Jackson did nor does it excuse it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If they had been Cherokee I could understand the outrage.
That was my thought... The Navajo were a western tribe not involved in the Trail of Tears.

I wonder how they fell about SJW's assumptions that "if you've seen one Indian, you've seen them all"???

Old 11-28-2017, 06:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Then in effect you voted for Hillary, even if you voted third party. Not something I'd be proud of.
No one cares what you'd be proud of.

Well stated OP. Common sense, and respect, has nothing to do with an R or a D besides your name.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
There is supposed to be some staffer whose job it is to see that these kinds of things don't happen. Sounds trivial but for the rest of American History that picture is going to be in the books. When I was traveling abroad I met a state department staffer whose job it was to make sure these things didn't happen with American dignitaries and politicians in foreign countries. One casual hand shake with the wrong person winds up in the newspaper can sink your diplomatic efforts. Trumps whole effort to recognize these gentlemen will go unnoticed or at least be underscored.

Even Trump's most ardent supporters should acquiesce. This is the result of what has plagued the President's administration at this late date. He didn't take Obama's advice seriously about the arduous task of staffing from bottom to top.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Your post is a good reminder that although many of us condemn Trump's ignorance and incompetence, he is also surrounded by people who are floundering novices, people he hired for their loyalty or support, not for their smarts or skills.
Yes, and the generals, etc. who are holding the cabinet positions who HAD to have experience to be appointed are rumored to be saying behind his back that he is "clueless, a moron etc." I totally believe it! This should be proof for anyone. Just think about what he says off camera *shudder*

Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
There were 42 other presidents (Cleveland was it twice in nonconsecutive terms) he could have had them stand in front of, if they needed to have them in front of one. Of course it’s one who was especially harmful to the ancestors of the people being honored. Clueless or intentional, it’s pretty crappy.
The Cherokee and Creek were not ancestors of the Navaho. Totally different Indian nations. Native Americans were not one monolithic group all And to portray that is pretty crappy. Which was the whole point of using Navaho language skills as they did. Rare and distinct.

That being said Pres Jackson is among my least favorite presidents although I get what Pres Trump may like him and sometimes I think staff could serve the president better.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yes, and the generals, etc. who are holding the cabinet positions who HAD to have experience to be appointed are rumored to be saying behind his back that he is "clueless, a moron etc." I totally believe it! This should be proof for anyone. Just think about what he says off camera *shudder*
Knowing that there are people out there who would never get the outrage, let alone the fact of Trump's cluelessness, makes for an initial laugh, but on closer examination--it's also quite disturbing..

Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I don’t think American History is one of Donald’s strong points.
Exactly!

Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The Cherokee and Creek were not ancestors of the Navaho. Totally different Indian nations. Native Americans were not one monolithic group all And to portray that is pretty crappy. Which was the whole point of using Navaho language skills as they did. Rare and distinct.

That being said Pres Jackson is among my least favorite presidents although I get what Pres Trump may like him and sometimes I think staff could serve the president better.
Ancestors was not quite the right word, I agree. I know they are separate. Still not great overall to have a president nicknamed “Indian Killer” up, and people from other tribes have expressed their distaste at this choice.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Even better? That one was put up by Trumps specific request when he took office. Jackson is one of his heroes.
Trump has also expressed admiration for the seventh president, as well, calling Jackson “an amazing figure in American history — very unique so many ways,” through a spokesperson last week.
Trump hangs portrait of Andrew Jackson in Oval Office | TheHill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies