Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:35 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,907,902 times

Advertisements

Moreover, the Times reports:

Quote:
Like the House tax bill, the Senate measure would change how the government adjusts tax brackets and other tax provisions for inflation, replacing the Consumer Price Index with the Chained Consumer Price Index, which tends to increase at a slower rate. While most taxpayers would not notice an immediate impact, the effects would compound over time as more low- and middle-income families are pushed into higher tax brackets, and as working families receive less help through benefits like the earned-income tax credit.

Over the next decade, changing the inflation measure would mean that families would lose $134 billion by paying more in taxes and receiving fewer benefits than they would under current law, according to Congress’s Joint Committee on Taxation. The increase will be even bigger in future years: $31.5 billion in 2027 alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:44 AM

16,955 posts, read 12,525,034 times
There was a link to 135 economists that liked it. No I do not buy their numbers.

Can anyone give me CONCRETE items that reduce our stated corp tax rate from 35% to the "typical" rate of 15%?

Why not just change the rate to say 20% and remove enough items to make it the same typical rate and thusly a wash for revenue?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:50 AM

19,987 posts, read 8,888,037 times
this will be a blessing for most Americans. Remember the people criticizing it want to take 25% of your income away to pay for universal healthcare. Can you afford to lose 25% of your income?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,448,627 times
Quote:
GOP tax bill is fiscally irresponsible, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of the vulnerable
GOP is not being honest about it. This is a tax HIKE for millions of Americans, and the goal is to collect money from them and hand it out to the upper classes. It is nothing but a wealth re-distribution plan from the middle class and lower class to the upper classes. Ted Cruz did a poor job trying to defend it in the debate on Tuesday.

This is what has always been wrong about the Republican party. They are controlled by the elite, and they do what is best for the elite.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM

5,037 posts, read 2,247,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The bottom-line question is, since this/these bill/bills enrich the already rich, increases taxes on the middle-class and poor and increases the deficit -- all while having dubious economic benefits, what rational reason is there to pass it?

The answer is that Republican donors demand it or they are threatening to cut off campaign contributions.

Thus, what benefits the general public is of no concern as long as the donors get what they want.

We really need to come together in this country and start to elect grass roots candidates. It can be done, with our access to internet and social media. When Colorado passed their newest gun laws, two of their politicians were recalled, which is also a powerful tool that we should have for all states. One of the candidates who was elected to replace a recalled position was pretty much a nobody. I sent all of $5 to his campaign - more of a token gesture than anything - and actually received a handwritten thank you. He wasn't reelected during the regular elections; whether because the machine kicked in or because he wasn't effective, I don't know. But it showed that we don't HAVE to be stuck with the candidates that the major parties want us to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
This is a massive redistribution of wealth. I calculated my taxes under the new bill with my normal annual gross income of $85K in years 2014 and 2015. I would save about $600 under the new tax code. However last year I had some unexpected expenses and took out $35K from my IRA,raising my gross income to $120K. Comparing my 2016 tax with the new plan I would save $5K in taxes. So this does little for people under $100K in annual salary, but pays off big time with 25% less tax on the earnings over $100K.

Not necessarily. We make just over that, but not enough that we're in the AMT bracket. With the inability to deduct state taxes, having three kids who are still dependents, and not getting the AMT break - we'll be so completely screwed. At least my oldest is out on her own, and since she has millennial syndrome she doesn't pay taxes anyway.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times
why do they get to call themselves "faith leaders" when what they are, are liberals with a political agenda.

I am a faith leader, and I call on congress to pass this thing because it beneficial to the poor and working class families.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:57 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,581,416 times
If the democrats really cared they would have been at the table and offered their plan to lower taxes.

They didn't show up and do their job.

Raising taxes and redistribution of income has been their wheelhouse so they have no argument against it now.

If the tax bill is passed and works to move the economy forward they know they can't get elected and so they would rather see the country fail then remain out of power.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Lightbulb GOP tax bill is fiscally irresponsible, and disproportionately benefits the wealthy at the expense of the vulnerable

And that's precisely why the GOP supports it. Hell, they crafted it.

Republican orthodoxy:

Working families are greedy and have too much.

Millionaires are needy and deserve so much more than they already have."

It's who they are.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:01 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,565,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The thing is, this bill doesn't screw over the lower and middle class. The rates go down and standard deduction doubles. Some media and democrats are giving people this idea that it hurts workers but it doesn't.
Sorry to inform you but that is BS!

The American house hold that makes 100,000 or less will have their taxes go up by $2000 dollars in two years.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,565,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the 2008 recession was do to liberal policies on home-ownership (the housing bubble started in 1995) and the globalist liberal policies of off shoring jobs

this plan has a chance of reversing the offshoring......that's why liberals hate it

the 2008 crash.... liberal caused
LOL, ahhh NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies