Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If anyone needs a tax break to afford their property and mortgage, they are living above their means and that is their own fault.
How about we'd rather not pay more so the giant companies can get a tax break while our nation continues to slide further into debt.

What happened to the GOP's war against the deficit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
No, we don't pay ATM. Our issue is the elimination of personal exemptions and the elimination of the state and local tax deductions. (property tax!)

This pill might be easier to swallow if it had an impact on reducing the deficit instead of adding to it.
What state are you in? Good chance there will be up to a 10k property tax deduction in final bill, does that help you much?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If anyone needs a tax break to afford their property and mortgage, they are living above their means and that is their own fault.
This is about the most ignorant comment I have ever read from you and you have said some whoppers in the past.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I've used a calculator and my family along with many millions more middle class families will receive a tax decrease of 1-3 thousand a year. What may or may not happen in 8 years is irrelevant to today's discussion although I oppose expirations.
BULL.

1 the phase out starts a lot earlier than 8 years away. and YES it does matter when the big discounts to the RICH never go away.

deductions for middle class and poor sunset.

deductions for the Rich are forever.

wtf kind of bill is that.

just that alone tells us what we are dealing with. and it is wholesale theft. When the fed revenues implode due to this bill, the Rs will declare it is time for the poor to tighten their belts and make a sacrifice for the nation. meanwhile gout and storing wealth while be the biggest problem the Rich have ...

Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think lower corporate taxes should come with strings attached.

It'd be interesting to see how many corps would take the lower tax rate to pay their workers more money or stick with the higher rate and avoid giving people below the C-band more pay.
This was my congressman ' s take on it when I spoke to him. He said he would be for tax cuts if they were tied to hiring American workers. I can see the argument, but having worked in finance for many years I know how companies fudge their numbers.

I'm more sympathetic to smaller companies. I've worked for behemoths for a long time and am pretty jaded.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:10 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
What state are you in? Good chance there will be up to a 10k property tax deduction in final bill, does that help you much?
Virginia.

Why do you support a tax reform bill based on chance?

Based on what I see there is a big chance most Americans are getting screwed by this tax bill.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
low earners don't itemize. This is a big break for them.
i suggest you read up some. Low earners get a tax hike and it gets worse as it goes forward. Plus they will lose benefits and services just as many americans will due the bill's impact on federal revenues

CNBC is a right leaning site.

remember the CBO is nonpartisan AND is required to use the numbers and assumptions made by congress. ie they can't just make it up like MSNBC or FOX could.

Quote:

Lowest-income Americans would take bigger hit Lowest-income Americans would take bigger hit
5:30 PM ET Mon, 27 Nov 2017 | 00:50
The lowest-income American households would take a hit while higher-earning taxpayers would see their burden reduced under the Senate Republican tax plan, according to the latest analysis from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/27/sena...bo-report.html

Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Use a calculator. The loss of exemptions means the standard deduction only goes up by 16%. The loss of many deductions for middle class Americans mean they will see immediate increases in tax liability. Almost all Americans will see increases when the individual provisions expire in just 7 years.
Yet the corporate tax cuts are permanent.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 AM

House Tax Bill’s Child Tax Credit Increase Excludes Thousands of Children in Low-Income Working Families in Every State

Quote:
The House Republican tax bill would increase the maximum Child Tax Credit (CTC) from the current $1,000 to $1,600 per child, but only some families would benefit. Republicans have highlighted this proposal as their plan’s signature benefit for working families, but it would completely exclude 10 million children whose parents work for low pay — about 1 in 7 of all U.S. children in working families, including thousands of children in every state. Another 12 million children in working families would receive less than the full $600-per-child increase in the credit (in most cases, much less). Altogether, about 1 in 3 children in working families would either be excluded entirely or only partially benefit from the CTC increase.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...hildren-in-low

Old 11-29-2017, 11:16 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
The thing is, this bill doesn't screw over the lower and middle class. The rates go down and standard deduction doubles. Some media and democrats are giving people this idea that it hurts workers but it doesn't.
Yes it does because for one the cut you get is temporary and while doubling one deduction it removes several others. In the long run the middle class gets stuck with the bill, the deficit goes up, and the rich get a permanent tax cut. This is going to look good to some initially but a few years from now everyone is going to feel some serious pain. Me thinks that these so-called economists are too young to remember what occurred after RR went down the same road, initially it worked but then it went south leading to loss of jobs and deficit spending that has not stopped since. That, or they just are not all that bright when it comes to looking down the road further than a year or two. This is a bad Bill for the vast majority of Americans. We shall see if they can even pass it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies