Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Now:19,452
Trump: 20,300

$848 increase year 1 before all the temporary individual tax saving start to fade.
if you have 20k in taxes....you must be making close to 300k...you are rich according to the liberals...you NEED to pay more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Those that pay taxes get a tax cut. Those that suck down tax money but pay none get nothing.
The low income workers who stock our grocery store shelves, keep our public restrooms clean, take our payments when we buy gas, and cook our fast food lunches pay -0- federal income tax. And if they were forced to pay federal taxes they would no longer have the money to buy life's necessities.

Perhaps there are government and spending problems from so many Americans not paying federal income taxes. But these are still full time workers that are the backbone of the American economy.

Should we have anger towards these Americans and call them "freeloaders" and "those that suck down tax money", or should we have respect for these full time workers and have factual conversations about the negative consequences from having so many Americans that don't pay federal income taxes?

Republicans greatly respect billionaires for the economic benefits they provide our economy, but shouldn't republicans also have respect for the low income workers that are the backbone of our economy? (Instead of having anger towards them and simply calling them "freeloaders.")

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
This post is code for, wow, I did the test and saved money, but I still refuse to believe the plan actually might help people. Because there's no way anything tied to President Trump or the Republicans could possibly work out well. Not when we've been told over and over the Republicans are bad and they only care about the rich. How could this be? There must be something missing. I'm sure they are at work tonight making these savings disappear. Those evil Republicans and their evil commander and chief. Does that about sum it up?
Well one thing this calculator doesn't take into consideration is the change in how future tax bracket changes are calculated as a slower inflation scale will be used to index future brackets.

In my case I would save under the current plan if I were to continue to rent compared to the current tax code, however if I were to purchase a house (something I would be looking to do in the not- too distant future) I would be hit quite hard compared to the current tax cose.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well one thing this calculator doesn't take into consideration is the change in how future tax bracket changes are calculated as a slower inflation scale will be used to index future brackets.

In my case I would save under the current plan if I were to continue to rent compared to the current tax code, however if I were to purchase a house (something I would be looking to do in the not- too distant future) I would be hit quite hard compared to the current tax cose.
as the owner of the OBI infamously said..."get out of NY before its too late"

Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No, it is not. It's a legitimate question, and I bet most people don't know the answer.
A legitimate question you say. The only question was "are you happy about that". The title of the thread asks no question. It states "your taxes are going up". As if the OP knows unequivocally that our taxes are going up. Then the OP has a yes/no poll asking if we're happy about that. That's not a legitimate question. Maybe "Do you think your taxes are going up?" or "If your taxes go up....". Either would have been a better title because it actually leaves open the possibility that our taxes "won't" go up. The OP went the other way. The OP simply states in the thread title "Your Taxes are going up". The OP has no way of knowing that in any way. Thus, it's a troll thread.

PS. I've used the calculators posted in another thread to figure my taxes comparing the current code with the new one. If the calculators are correct (because you never know, they might not be, I try not to put all my eggs in one basket) then I will pay half as much under the new plan. So I guess it's a good thing I didn't vote in the poll, since neither answer would have applied to me. Since my taxes are indeed not going up, despite the proclamation made by the OP.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if you have 20k in taxes....you must be making close to 300k...you are rich according to the liberals...you NEED to pay more
Under 200k, married, no children in high cost of living area. Not rich.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Are Democrats still believing the lie that Social Security and Medicare won’t run out of money?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:36 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
defense budget is only about 650b

we spend over 2 trillion in social programs...that's where we need to start
Nope on both counts.

The military expense is not only the DOD. You have to add DOE (the nukes part), VA, wars. etc. All this is separate.

I hope in "social programs" you do not include SS and medicare because if you do, I'll need to get a reimbursement check for my FICA contributions.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:37 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Under 200k, married, no children in high cost of living area. Not rich.
The Senate bill would likely be an even bigger kick to the teeth

Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 PM

319 posts, read 199,116 times
Congrats on adding to the national debt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies