Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:40 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe I can get back some of the money I must pay on that disastrous Tax Bill called Obamacare the Democrats passed.

Democrats sure love to raise taxes. Look at Dem controlled states like CA, NY & NJ, highest taxes in the US. Tax and spend is their motto.

Don't worry pal, you'll get back that money from "Obamacare". And you'll need it once the individual mandate is repealed (courtesy of this tax bill you seem to love so much), and health insurers and insurance backslides to what things were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't worry pal, you'll get back that money from "Obamacare". And you'll need it once the individual mandate is repealed (courtesy of this tax bill you seem to love so much), and health insurers and insurance backslides to what things were before.
Yeah, I've had the same basic policy for the last 20 years it just went from $450 a month to $1080 in 4 years. I'd love to see it go back to the way it was before Ocare. I will miss the maternity coverage a 60yo male must pay for

Why are Dem controlled states the highest tax states? No wonder states like NY, NJ, IL are losing business and population.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Where was your outrage when the Democrats were doing it and Obama added nearly 10 trillion to the deficits. You couldn't get enough of it and thought all was well ? That's the question.
Where is your outrage now, if what the Dems did outraged you then why does it not bother you now?

Old 12-02-2017, 05:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
I say we go back to the original agreement, or eliminate the 16th Amendment completely, because of the bait & switch.

In 1913, the States ratified the 16th Amendment, instituting the federal income tax. The 1913 tax looks nothing like it looks today. The actual form and directions, fit on a mere four pages in 1913, they total an intimidating 181 pages today.

In 1913, the top tax bracket was 7 percent on all income over $500,000 ($11 million in today’s dollars); and the lowest tax bracket was 1 percent

The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:47 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yup. After-tax profits of corporations have tripled over the past 3 decades.

Income disparity has widened.

Workers' wages have declined.

A Tale of Two Theories: Supply Side and Demand Side Economics

https://www.commondreams.org/views06/0514-20.htm

& there are still no 'welfare queens driving cadillacs':

The ‘Welfare Queen’ Is a Lie

Programs that should be crafted around people’s needs are instead designed to deal with a problem that doesn’t exist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...n-myth/501470/

Fool the people once, twice, three times ...
"& there are still no 'welfare queens driving cadillacs':"

Maybe NOT queens but they ae PLENTY of welfare "kings" driving Cadillacs.

I worked in the slums and saw it EVERY DAY.

When you post form a libeal site, you get liberal "opinions"

The just might be a little biased, don't you think?

"Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community"

Gee, you post form a "progressive (they changed their name from liberal to progressive because they got too much negative press thinking people would think they are different people )

Old 12-02-2017, 05:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Absolutely, the middle lass American taxpayer is going to get slapped big time on the back end by increases in insurance premiums. Since Donald dimwit has been elected my health insurance has went up $100.00 a month. I anticipate even higher premiums. The good news, based on conservative economics, I should get a couple of thousand dollars back while my health insurance rises $5,000 a year.

MAGAt

Old 12-02-2017, 05:52 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
It all depends on the economy. The stock market loves this, so does most small and large businesses. You need business to thrive to boost the economy and create jobs. If things are booming next fall which is likely with this tax deal then the Dems are in really big trouble. It won't matter what people may personally feel about Trump. The left does not understand that.

Stock market has been divorced from reality for quite some time now; basically if the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, the stock market goes up.

Thing to watch are the bond markets and treasury bills.

This dog of a tax plan relies heavily on the US borrowing even more money until the economy begins booming enough to pay for these cuts, if that ever happens. In any event the credit markets may or may not want to continue lending money to the USA at the historical rates of past. Treasury rates for both closely held and long dated notes have been rising. Not by huge numbers, yet, but never the less....

At some point, and no one knows when or what the trigger will be; credit markets simply will tire of the USA's spend thrift ways and impose fiscal discipline upon this country via requiring higher rates to buy our debt. Am assuming many of you either were not around and or have forgotten what the high T-Bill rates of 1980's through much of the 1990's.

RECORD SET ON 30 YEAR U.S. BONDS - NYTimes.com

Old 12-02-2017, 05:55 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Absolutely, the middle lass American taxpayer is going to get slapped big time on the back end by increases in insurance premiums. Since Donald dimwit has been elected my health insurance has went up $100.00 a month. I anticipate even higher premiums. The good news, based on conservative economics, I should get a couple of thousand dollars back while my health insurance rises $5,000 a year.
Yeah, that Democrat passed tax law Obamacare also raised my premiums over $8000 a year over the last 4 years. Don't see anything Repubs have done to change the amount we are paying this year due to that bad law.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, that Democrat passed tax law Obamacare also raised my premiums over $8000 a year over the last 4 years. Don't see anything Repubs have done to change the amount we are paying this year due to that bad law.
Mine are approaching $10,000 a year.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:02 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Stock market has been divorced from reality for quite some time now; basically if the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, the stock market goes up.
Not true. Perhaps you don't understand the stock market. Its a bull market and they usually go up on neutral or positive fundamentals. Sometimes that is confusing to a casual observer. The biggest positive fundamental is tax reform. We went through 8 years of Obama doubling the debt in an mostly failed effort to boost the economy. I say mostly failed because of the tepid recovery considering how much money was spent on it. The left had no issue with the previous spending but now its an issue?

I think the left is concerned about all this because they worry it might work. If it does work you have 8 years of Trump or Trump / Pence if Trump does not run again and a huge GOP majority. That is why all this fear mongering is going on.

If the left really felt it was horrible and people would turn against tax reform over time they would want it to pass the reap the benefits next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies