Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/private-j...112514175.html

What a wonderful news for Private Jet owners and a swift kick for Middle Class Americans.
And of course you left out the part where the article said "These are levied in the ticket price of commercial flights", didn't you? Tickets are paid for by middle America.

Didn't fit well with your "No Taxes" narrative, so you just left it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Everything was already taxed. I hear this argument all the time and it is completely nonsensical.
So, you believe every movement and transaction involving money or property should be taxed by the Feds?

Old 12-02-2017, 08:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
This scribbled, passed-in-the-wee-hours-of-the-morning bill has one more hurdle.

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/statu...53019262013440

Old 12-02-2017, 08:06 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Here is one that says he mad as hell at 2:15 (to save some time). Its on health care but like Hillary said " What difference does it make". They are going to be upset at everything the GOP does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwtHtVUuPGI

Old 12-02-2017, 08:07 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How much has the ACA cost us?
According to the CBO the ACA reduced the budget deficit by $143 billion between 2010-2019.
https://www.thebalance.com/cbo-report-obamacare-3305627

Quote:
How much did Syria cost us?
I could not find any specific information on the cost of the Syrian war.

But as of 2016 the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Syria have cost taxpayers $4.79 trillion dollars.

"Cumulative Total FY2001-FY2016, Billions of Current Dollars."

"Iraq- $805 billion"
"Afghanistan- $783 billion"
"Pakistan- $8 billion"
"Syria- $12 billion"

I would assume the Syrian war cost taxpayers $100-$500 billion dollars.

http://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/f...final%20v2.pdf

Quote:
How much did continuing the war in Afghanistan cost us?
The Afghanistan war started in 2001 and Obama did not become president until 2009. And Obama did not start the Afghanistan war rather he inherited it, should the Afghanistan war spending be blamed on Obama?

Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I do find it hilarious that the Dems were whining that they didn't have time to read the whole thing after pushing that crapfest Obamacare on everyone after claiming that they had to pass it to find out what was in it.
That's such crap, apparently this lie is part of conservative catechism. This is what was said

"Imagine an economy where people could follow their aspirations, where they could be entrepreneurial, where they could take risks professionally because personally their families [sic] health care needs are being met. Where they could be self-employed or start a business, not be job-locked in a job because they have health care there, and if they went out on their own it would be unaffordable to them, but especially true, if someone has a child with a pre-existing condition. So when we pass our bill, never again will people be denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition.

We have to do this in partnership, and I wanted to bring [you] up to date on where we see it from here. The final health care legislation that will soon be passed by Congress will deliver successful reform at the local level. It will offer paid for investments that will improve health care services and coverage for millions more Americans. It will make significant investments in innovation, prevention, wellness and offer robust support for public health infrastructure. It will dramatically expand investments into community health centers. That means a dramatic expansion in the number of patients community health centers can see and ultimately healthier communities. Our bill will significantly reduce uncompensated care for hospitals.

You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

But since you want to play 'yeahbutwhatabout', let's talk about what Marco Rubio said about the Republican tax bill:

We have to do two things. We have to generate economic growth which generates revenue, while reducing spending. That will mean instituting structural changes to Social Security and Medicare for the future,” Rubio told a crowd at a Politico conference. Rubio's talk of structural change is vague, but will likely include changing the rate and age of Social Security and Medicare payouts."
Republicans Will Cut Social Security and Medicare After Tax Plan Passes, Says Marco Rubio

So, he let the cat out of the bag, passing a tax bill that does little for the middle class but richly rewards the rich will ultimately be paid for by the elderly. And you have the audacity to try to make an issue out of an out of context remark by Nancy Pelosi.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Leaving aside the scribbled, middle of the night rush,

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/936650089413644289

Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Which, of course, is why the GOP had to sneak it in in the middle of the night. On a weekend.
lmao....sneak in the middle of the night? they've been talking about tax reform since January, come out of the basement into the light.

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
My accountant says that I will pay less taxes under the GOP plan. So I am absolutely ok with it.
If memory serves. The dems claimed that I would pay less for health care insurance under the affordable care act. The reality is that I pay a hell of a lot more. Why would I believe them now?
Did your accountant also tell you that the next step in the GOP plan will be to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid to pay for this? He should have.

Are you absolutely ok with that too?

9,338 posts, read 7,108,703 times
But middle-class and poor republicans celebrate "a victory over dems" as the richest people in America get richer And a lot of us "regular people" will see our taxes go up.

I used to laugh at the uninformed Trump supporters. But now it's just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies