Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:56 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,544 times

Advertisements

And here I thought the Republicans were all about balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility. Guess I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Those actions alone? No.

Government created that debt, which now hovers around $20 trillion.
And government, democrats, and republicans created the $8-$10 trillion dollars of debt growth that occurred while Obama was in office (not Obama and democrats by themselves.)

Quote:
when someone tries to excuse their party, I’ll say something
That might be something good for me to remember (maybe then you'll cut me a little bit of slack.)

Old 12-02-2017, 08:58 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would absolutely support that. Half the country absolutely detests the other half. It's not just "dislike", they absolutely cannot stand the other half. In order for the continent to continue peacefully, let the country break apart regionally and perhaps contribute to national defense and nothing else. If a region doesn't contribute, they don't get defended and call it good from there. Blue states can create health coverage, education resources, etc. and red states can walk around the grocery store with AR-15s. Anyone wanting to change regions gets a five or ten year probationary period. When the GOP is creating a tax bill based on scribbles and lobbyists are designing the tax code, we are no longer a country anyway.
I think a lot of voters would support it. However, don't know how you could defend only part of the country.

Red State of America would support their own military. Blue States as well. Might cut down on the Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan fiascos in the future.

Dividing up Social Security and Medicare would be an issue, but could be worked out.

The process would take several years and may end up something like the EU, with some states opting out, and various regional alliances.

During the process, people and businesses would have time to pack up and move to the states they felt in sync with.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
One problem I see is what to do with the less fortunate.

Currently, many of the less fortunate wander to blue states because they have support services.

Those that stay in the red states are subsidized by benefits paid for by blue states.

What happens when blue states quit subsidizing red states?

What if this robber baron tax bill was the final straw?

Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
A few pages back the argument was over inheritance taxes. The US Constitution has a provision forbidding leaving all of the inheritance to a single heir. As most of the wealth in that time was real property the estate had to be sold and divided up to all of the inheritors. The reason for this provision was to prevent the development of a landed aristocracy that would subvert government to serve only themselves.

The inheritance tax is an extension of this idea to prevent the establishment of a financial aristocracy using primogeniture. Unfortunately this idea has not been sufficiently enforced to do what it was created to do. We now have a self interested financial aristocracy that has far too much control over our government and society. IMHO inheritance should be divided between all of the inheritors as in the constitution and taxed as simple income after an amount equal to the 90th percentile incomes is deducted. Providing a base deduction of 10 million dollars on an inheritance is a complete absurdity just to protect an outmoded institution called the Family Farm or business.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:06 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
And here I thought the Republicans were all about balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility. Guess I was wrong.
Republicans do not care about deficits when they are in control. And when the deficits soar, they will say the only solution is to cut Medicare and Social Security.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
my wife gets SS. We don't need it, we use it to travel and gamble.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
This tax bill push shows you how dysfunctional and delusional the GOP has become. First, the bill isn’t even law yet because the two versions will have to be reconciled in a conference committee and then voted on again before Trump can sign the bill, so the fact Trump is doing this much celebrating already shows how low the bar has been set. Second, if the SALT provisions stay in the final version you’re going to see Republicans from New York, New Jersey, and California have a hard time voting for the final product.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Thank you for reminding us that this abomination is not yet law. Sensible legislators can still prevent it from becoming law.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
My property taxes are about 1.25%, genius. They are not that high. My HOUSING COSTS are high, so the dollar amount of the tax is substantial.

And I'm pretty sure I pay way more in Fed tax than you do.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that, maybe he should take that rant to the Texas forums, that state has one of the highest effective tax rates in the US
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies